“Great location. Great room. Avoid breakfast”

The Governor Hotel, a Coast Hotel
Ranked #7 of 9 Hotels in Olympia
Washington DC
“Great location. Great room. Avoid breakfast”
Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

Spent three nights here for a college graduation.
Try for a room in the back with a view of the lake.

Rooms ARE updated, and very comfortable.
Bathrooms are fine.

We found all of the front desk staff to be friendly, and helpful.

Nice to be downtown so you can walk to some good places for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
You can also walk to some number of the bars, if that is your interest.

This isn't a boutique hotel - I gave it five stars for the value, comfort, location and staff.
Would stay here in an instant - if I were to be back in Olympia

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
  • Slovak first
Sheffield, Yorkshire, England
Reviewed 14 June 2014

Pluses:-
1) The hotel is well-located in downtown Olympia - close to the magnificent State Legislature building, restaurants, bars, Percival Landing and the excellent Olympia Film Society building.
2) Our room - Room 704 was in beautiful condition with an exceptionally comfortable kingsize bed and a great view over the Capitol Lake.
3) We didn't have to pay to park in the hotel's car park.
Negatives:-
1) At first our room key didn't work and when the pleasant young maintenance man finally got us in we found that the room had not been made up so we were moved to a different room.
2) The sliding floor to ceiling window was very stiff to move.
3) Water temperature in the shower was variable - quite annoying when you are covered in soap suds.
4) You had to pay $5 for breakfast.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back of the hotel enjoy great views over Capitol Lake - especially the upper floors.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Neil_in_Sheffield_UK
Sturgeon Bay
Reviewed 11 June 2014

The poor Governor. I bet it was quite a grand hotel in its day. As my business colleague said, it has "great bones," so hopefully someone will purchase this hotel, which is in a GREAT location, and give it the TLC it deserves!

The lobby is more recently decorated. The elevators are rickety and slow. I was reassured, though, when I saw the inspection certificates that were just issued June 1. The furnishings in the room appeared to be a mixed bag of old and new, but the carpet seemed newer. It's an old hotel, so the bathrooms are tiny, but the room was adequately proportioned. There's quite a few really neat, old, large photographs hung throughout the hotel of Olympia and the Governor Hotel in the early and mid-20th Century that I found charming.

The problem with the Governor is that the rooms are stinky. I know it just wasn't my room, because my colleague said the same thing. I thought the room smelled as though it had endured years and years of housing cigarette smokers. (The hotel is smoke-free.) My colleague thought it was a musty smell. Maybe it was a combination of both? Another problem is that the A/C is extremely poor. I haven't seen an old-fashioned metal thermostat like that since I was kid! Kind of neat, actually. But it was FAR cooler in the room to open my balcony door, so that's what I did. The only problem opening the balcony door is all the noise from the park/square across the street which is, unfortunately, a popular hangout for the homeless, runaways and groups of folks smoking pot. They really do need to fix the A/C issue which, again, was a problem for my colleague, too.

The pool is outdoor and appears very neglected. It was covered in a tarp during our stay. I'm guessing they no longer open it. The parking lot is extremely small, tight and in poor condition. What do they do if the hotel is half full or more? They had so little parking available.

The staff was very friendly. Breakfast was just fine. I only hope that someone will invest in this property and restore it to its former grandeur!

Room Tip: I'd ask for a room overlooking the parking lot so that you don't get the noise from the park...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Olympia hotels

Everett, wa
Reviewed 1 June 2014

The rooms were actually very nice and the staff was great. However it is across the street from a park that became a little noisy during the night. The bed was really hard and the elevator had a little problem when we were there.

Room Tip: get a room that is not on the Capitol Way side.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
san juan islands, washington state
Reviewed 31 May 2014

We were tired by the time we got here. The check-in process was smooth. The beds were even smoother! So comfy! The room was clean. The bathrooms were nice, with big mirrors and lots of plug-ins for my hair appliances! The front desk staff was nice. There are hotels with a slightly shorter walking distance to the Capitol building, by only two blocks. I would stay here again. Great hotel.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 May 2014

I am an Olympia native, so I was disappointed that the wonderful cocktail lounge with its burgundy leather booths were gone and not incorporated in the remodeling. That would have added a romantic feeling to my stay. I remember when the Governor Hotel was the "hot spot" for the adult crowd in Olympia. It also had fabulous dinners in the hey day of the hotel.. The remodeled lobby is very pretty and the employees were very nice.

Room Tip: we had two queens and there were ample towels etc for two people. we spent a lot of time away from t...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank Sherry D
Olympia, WA
Reviewed 23 May 2014

I took a one night "staycation" at this hotel to get away from home for some me time. Walking in, I was impressed with the clean and updated look. Front desk agent was very friendly and had me checked in, in no time.

My king bed room was spacious and extremely clean! Bed was surprisingly comfortable. LOVED the giant sliding window. I had planned on connecting my Wii U to the TV and just playing video games, but instead I found myself people watching (like the natural creepster that I am) and staring at Oly's scenery. Through the night, it was very quiet and because there's not that many rooms per floor I heard very little foot traffic through the night! And I was right by the elevator!

Only thing I didn't take advantage of was the breakfast. But if it was like the rest of my hotel experience, I'm sure I would've liked it as well! In fact, the ONLY thing I didn't like about the hotel was the room's fan/heater.... It feels like it doesn't do much of heating and air conditioning. If you're facing Capital Lake, be prepared for afternoon heat as the AC can't keep up with the heat pouring in through the giant windows. But hey, with the view, and the fact that the window slides open to let a breeze in, I can't truly complain about it.

Overall.... Stay at the Governor Hotel!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo