“if you are desperate for a place to sleep, book it”

The Governor Hotel, a Coast Hotel
Ranked #7 of 9 Hotels in Olympia
Vancouver, Washington
“if you are desperate for a place to sleep, book it”
Reviewed 12 August 2014

Governor Hotel, woww. when we book that hotel for one night stay., I thought it would be a great place since it is so near to the State Capitol....The side entrances were terrible, the main entrance needed to be swept---The lobby was ok------The receptionist at the desk was doing his job, but nothing more----- The elevators sound like something in a scary movie----they need to be upgraded--------My roon on the 6th floor smell like cigars-----bed was confortable----furnitures need a face lift------My wife was dessapointed that the swimming pool was not opened unstead they offerd us passes to the Y-------- we had coffee in the room but no coffee pot---
I did not check the breakfast .

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
  • Slovak first
aberdeen, washington
Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

Nice staff, good hotel for the price but wow air conditioning need to be way stronger, it's about 85 degrees in this room! Nice view of the water and parking lot well lit up! I want to say again staff a++++ they went out of the way to help us out!

• Stayed August 2014
Cheney, Washington
Reviewed 2 August 2014

This place used to be a dump, but apparently new owners have started making renovations. Keep at it. Air conditioning didn't work four of five days I stayed there. It was 85 degrees outside and the AC was blowing 78 degree air, when the fan wasn't overwhelmed. Tried to change rooms but they said there were none similar to the one I was in. Pool is closed. Elevators are creaky and smell like a gym. Maybe they could change up the daily scrambled eggs, sausage and bacon for some fresh fruit

Room Tip: Rooms facing the street are not as hot from the afternoon sun, so even if the A/C is out, might stil...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Olympia hotels

Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed 30 July 2014

They are trying to turn this place around but it's not there yet. They were in the process of making renovations. You could smell the paint. They said their Gym was closed for remodeling and offered to pay for guests to go to a gym down the street.

The parking situation is horrible. There is a hotel parking gargae but it is very limited and so we first had to park on the streets in the downtown area. It was very busy because of a festival but I found a street spot just behind the hotel and it looked like a homeless camp was right next to it. I felt so uncomfortable that I went back downstairs and waited for a spot to open up. The hotel assured me that the parking lot was for hotel guests only but there was no attendant and while I waited I observed several people from the street festival return to their cars and leave. I was finally able to get my SUV parked in one of their tiny spots.

Finally - I bought our hotel stay on Priceline.com and 5 days later the hotel withdrew money from the CC that I gave them for incidents. I called the morning the debit posted to my account. They said they would credit me the double charge and it took 5 more days to post to my account - no bueno :((

We stayed in 14 hotels during our Summer Vacation this year and all were prepaid and nothing like this happened at any of the others.

Washington State
Reviewed 26 July 2014

When booking our room via phone I asked for a confirmation number and was told by a female (NAME WITHHELD ) I would get one in our e-mail soon. No confirmation by the next day when I called to book a 2nd night and this time I talked to a gentleman who said he would send it now for confirmations for both nights which he immediately did ++! I forgot to ask him about breakfast, so later that day I went on their web page and the same female answered (NAME WITHHELD), and I asked her about breakfast as nothing about that was on their web page and she proceeded to tell me "YES, THERE WAS" when I told her all I could find was "coffee 24 hours a day in the Lobby". I really needed to find out about the breakfast, is there one, what times, where and exactly what was served as we have health concerns but no answer... She just didn't care.
So even though I checked with Trip Advisor to verify they still accepted dogs (NOT blaming Trip Advisor because I didn't ask as I should have). When we got there we were told by the same person (name withheld) that "our room was not ready yet" and when my husband came back to the lobby with our luggage and dog we were told they didn't accept dogs anymore because of new Owners... So we left and drove home... Bottom line is THEY are out $230.00+ and hopefully we won't get charged as I read their others reviews!
This is really sad as this Hotel was really 'something special' one time... LONG AGO!!
Will definitely never stay there again.....even without a dog...

Olympia, Washington
Reviewed 23 July 2014

we stayed at this hotel over lakefair weekend and upon making my reservation I requested a crib, was quoted Hundred and $149 for the night with no AARP discounts available, and that if we got in early we could check in if our room was ready. when we arrived, our room was NOT ready, and we had to wait 2 hours to get it. Previous to our stay I had done some checking and realized that they do accept the AARP rate so upon checking in I showed my card and my rate was supposed to be dropped to $116 for the night. When we got into our room we noticed there was no crib so we called down to the front desk and let them know.after 4 calls to the desk we were told they had given them all away. Then nearly 4 hours later we finally got one and the employee apologized saying he thought we needed a roll away. I was very confused considering we were very clear that we need a crib for our baby. the crib had urine stains on it, but was a nice little crib, we just made it work.
the wifi signal was not good, very in and out.
We decided to stay a second night and we were told there was no vacancy but that we could make arrangements online through an online travel agency to get a room. I managed to get a room for $103 for the second night online. we switched to a different room and the view was great. however the room was kinda gross. the bathroom was falling apart. The plug on the bathtub did not work for us to bathe our children, it was rusted open. The bottom of the bathtub was peeling off and had sharp edges. I've never seen a hotel with such a run down bathroom.
As someone previously mentioned, the elevators were petrifying! The noises they make as they are lifting you or lowering you as well as the shakiness is just plain scary. The breakfast was "okay". The waffles were great my kids loved them however the eggs bacon and sausage were cold. they ran out of juice and didn't refill it.
Leaving the hotel I was never given a receipt however that morning I overheard a man in the breakfast area talking about being overcharged by $400 so I looked at my credit card and was over charged as well. I called the hotel to explain my situation and they didn't really seem to care they said they would look into it and call me back. Two hours later I had not received a call back so I called them again they were "still looking into it" and they told me they would call me back. another hour passed and I called the hotel again, with no answer. I waited another hour and called back again and talked to one of the girls at the front desk who told me that her and her manager head refunded my credit card the difference however they did not refund me the difference from my AARP rate, just the original rate of $149, although I was charged $208 on my card. I had my husband call them back to try to work things out the girl finally understood that they still owed me $40. Supposedly at that time she was crediting back my credit card and it would appear within 24 hours. here we are 3 days later and the original charge of $204 is still on my card so I had my husband call the hotel again today and apparently the manager we talked to a few days ago hadn't reversed the charges yet. the manager we talked to today said that she was doing it as we speak so we will see.
After reading other reviews where people were overcharged, I think this hotel had a problem with their billing. BEWARE! check your bill, if you are lucky enough to get one. oh and we were also told that they put a hold for $40 for incidentals to our card and if we don't use them, they supposedly don't charge for them, but either way, we were NEVER told they do that.
all in all, a dressed up, run down hotel that scams you and overcharges you.

Room Tip: lake view is the best.
Leesport, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 23 July 2014

We reserved three rooms for our 3-generation family vacation and two were supposed to be adjoining for our grandchildren. After a longer than normal wait at the front desk we were given three rooms not even on the same floor. Being the grandparents, we said "no big deal, we will take the one on the other floor. Took the key card and found someone else already in that room. Back to the desk for another room. They made a big deal about giving us tickets for the breakfast the next morning. It was about the worst one of our entire trip even without the sour milk that had to be returned. Would definitely not stay there again.

Room Tip: Try a different hotel
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family