“Unfortunately, the best choice in Olympia”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Olympia
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Olympia
Reviewed 2 April 2014

We are former residents who stayed here a number of times in the past when our power went out (it was under a different brand then). We've also now stayed again twice as visitors since the switch to the DoubleTree brand. We stay here more out of necessity than choice as the other offerings in the area range (in my opinion) from dowdy to downright sketchy. That said, here's a simple list of my DoubleTree pros and cons, along with a few tips for staying here.

Pros:
- It was renovated recently and the rooms still look nice and clean. And everything - lamps, etc. - still works.
- Lots of outlets for your electronics.
- Crabtree & Evelyn bath amenities are a cut above many others.
- Beds and pillows are comfortable.
- There's a bar in the lobby where you can get beer and wine (full license in application process) and basic bar appetizers in the evening.
- Bar area serves as breakfast area in the morning, and while basic, breakfast fare is good.
- The hotel is convenient walking distance to everything of interest in downtown Olympia, and very close to some of the best restaurants in the area (Dockside Bistro and Basilico are two favorites).
- Staff are friendly and efficient.
- You get warm chocolate chip cookies on check-in.
- Coffee maker, small microwave, and fridge in the room.
- Two complimentary bottles of water in the room at check-in.
- Free, decent wifi.
- Free local calls.

Cons:
- It's junk construction-wise. I know; I watched it go up.
- If you're room is on the third floor, north end, and someone closes a door on the first floor, south end, you'll hear/feel it. If your neighbor closes his door, your room will shake.
- Voices and TV noise from adjacent rooms can be heard.
- If you're not on the top (3rd) floor, you'll hear the people above you walking around.
- It will always be noisy because it is, as I said, the best option in the area, and as such is almost always booked solid.
- The breakfast mentioned earlier is NOT free. My wife paid, so I'm not sure, but I think it's around $10 a head. Used to be free.
- Coffee (enough for 2 cups) is replenished each day, bottled water isn't.
- No in-room safe, and the door locks appear to be of the type proven a few years back to be easily breached with the "Sharpie" tool.
- You get two barely adequate bath towels, two hand towels, and in our case, one washcloth.

Tips:
- Get a room on the top floor. It'll at least save you from listening to people pounding around above you.
- Resist the urge to get a "water view" room. The "view" is mostly of buildings across the street and you'll be right over the parking lot, which is at times very noisy. The rooms over Capitol Way are much quieter, especially at night. (One caveat - a welding shop across the street from the southeast corner rooms CAN be noisy, but they close up at 5 PM).
- Leave your car in the parking lot and walk the few blocks into the downtown core. It's flat, funky, and fun.
- And, don't forget Percival Landing and the Market, too.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank DCBoomer
Janine C, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Olympia, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay! We are glad you had an overall enjoyable stay and we appreciate all your feedback for future guests as well. Indeed our location is one of our favorite features of our property and our staff is happy to assist you in finding any place you would like to go while visiting Olympia. We do offer a Bed and Breakfast package which includes breakfast for you throughout your entire stay and we have our Starbucks and Starbucks grab-n-go as an alternative to the buffet. As returning guests, your comments are invaluable and if there is anything more we may do for future reservations, please let us know. We hope to accommodate you and yours again the next time you come to Olympia.

Reviewed 27 March 2014

This hotel was great, right in the middle of town close to everything (and I mean everything). Right next to the pier, my son and I skateboarded everywhere in town, great view and my wife loved it also. Tons of shopping around. The staff here was awesome, they didn't care if we skated in the parking lot and everyone was extremely helpful. Stay here. Great food also within walking distance.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
Janine C, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Olympia, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2014

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay with us! It is wonderful you and your family enjoyed your time here! Our staff will be happy to know we made you feel comfortable and welcome throughout your stay. Downtown Olympia is great for being able to walk (or skate) to nearly everything you would need with local boutiques and restaurants just blocks from us. Your feedback and kind words are appreciated and we hope to see you and yours again soon!

Reviewed 26 March 2014

The staff was amazing and very helpful. We got free breakfast and even free cookies every night. We will stay here again. We love the barista, Kacee. She was very friendly and helpful. Great job Doubletree!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Janine C, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Olympia, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2014

We appreciate you taking the time to review your recent stay! We are glad you found it enjoyable and that we could make it a memorable visit to Olympia. Kasee will be glad to hear she went the extra mile to bring you great guest service throughout your stay. We always want to improve for our guests so if there is anything more we can do for you and yours please let us know. We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 26 March 2014

Very nice hotel, and nicely equipped, as well as decorated, rooms. Unlike most family friendly hotel experiences, we were actually able to get some sleep because their was very little noise, and the hotel was quite full. The staff were friendly, the whole place was very clean, and the salt water pool was much easier on my families eyes and skin then a typical chlorine pool. The location is also excellent. We will stay there again.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Thank you so much for your review! We are pleased you enjoyed your stay with us recently! It is wonderful we could bring you and your family a positive experience here at DoubleTree by Hilton by showing you excellent services and amenities. We value your feedback and we look forward to accommodating you again the next time you are in Olympia!

Reviewed 25 March 2014

I ended up choosing the hotel after numerous other locations that I tested out. I needed to find a home for a few months, and I feel I made the best decision. The front desk folks including Meghan and Kattarin greeted me always with a big smile and welcoming statements. They always made sure my stay was comfortable and enjoyable. This all helps start with a solid management staff. They were extremely friendly and were great to work with while I was on site in helping making sure I always had a room during my business trips.

Now to one of the great amenities located at the hotel... the hotel bar. William and Julie were two the greatest people to visit with at my numerous visits to the hotel. They were always very welcoming and really helped me get through the weeks away from home with creating a friendly environment. I would recommend this hotel with no hesitation, and if I am ever in Olympia in the future.... I know where to go.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Janine C, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Olympia, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2014

Thank you so much for the kind review! Our staff will be happy to know they went above and beyond during every one of your stays and made you feel welcome. We pride ourselves on our guest service and it is great to hear we provided an optimal DoubleTree experience for you. As a returning guest we appreciate your loyalty and feedback in order to make each visit that much better! Please let us know if there is anything more we may do for you. We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed 24 March 2014

I would stay at this property on average of once per month for business travel. Usually a one night stay, but occasionally two nights. Several of my staff would stay here as well when travelling for business. We always enjoyed the hospitality when the property was known as the Phoenix Inn; a good value for the money spent. Since it became the DoubleTree we have experienced a decline in services and availability. Our agency is a local government agency and the Phoenix Inn nearly always offered a government rate as well as provided a complimentary breakfast with your stay. Since this property has become DoubleTree, the government rate is rarely available and now there is a fee for the very same breakfast that used to be included with your stay. Further decline in services is the now required two night minimum stay. I mentioned my dismay at check out and it seemed to be of little interest and the property has become very inflexible in accommodating government business travelers. Considering the majority of my stays are one night stays for the foreseeable future, I will not be returning to the DoubleTree Olympia anytime soon.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay. I apologize for the inconveniences you had with booking as we understand there have been many changes since we converted into the Hilton family. If you are interested for any future reservations, we do offer a Bed and Breakfast package which includes breakfast throughout your stay. If you have any further questions please let us know as someone is available 24 hours a day. We appreciate your feedback and hope to have another opportunity to show you an optimal DoubleTree by Hilton experience!

Reviewed 23 March 2014

Stayed here as part of a business trip for a week. Location is right down by the water which houses some nice restaurants such as the Bud Bay Cafe. Great food. Hotel is decent. A little outdated. Does have a nice fitness room with new everything. Kind of small but does the job. Rooms were good, beds a little old but still fairly comfortable. One of three hotels I have stayed at during the past few months in Olympia. Gets a number one for restaurants within walking distance but you have a gauntlet of homeless people to run to get to them.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Janine C, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Olympia, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay! It is great you had a positive overall experience with us. We are glad to hear you enjoyed our downtown location and amenities throughout your stay. We work to provide optimal guest service in order to make our guests feel as comfortable as possible while travelling as we understand it can be difficult at times. We appreciate your feedback and please let us know if there is anything more we may do for you. We look forward to accommodating you again the next time you are in Olympia!