“PLUSES AND MINUSES”

Van's Burger
Ranked #29 of 354 Restaurants in Olympia
Cuisines: Fast food
Reviewed 11 April 2013

First, let's get this out of the way. Vans makes a very good burger. In fact, it's just as good as an IN-'N'-OUT burger. In fact, if you close your eyes, it tastes identical to an IN-'N'-OUT burger. I gave it four stars for taste, but I would have given it three stars for overall value.
A Vans burger is a little bigger, but the price overcompensates a bit too much.
Both restaurants use fresh and well-prepared ingredients. Both have long lines. Both have specialized menus that focus on the core offerings - burgers.
The big noticeable difference is that Vans has very low overhead, and very few employees (I did not notice the availability of a washroom if there was one).. Another big difference is the price. At IN-'N'-OUT the price of a Double-double, fries and a milkshake is about the cost of a Big Pete burger by itself. You'll spend over $10.00 for a double with cheese, fries and a shake at Vans,.
I agree that Vans tastes as good as the other reviews that i have read have testified, but the value is not too competitive when you can get a similar meal at a sit-down establishment with fries and free drink refills and service by a waitress for about the same price (and their overhead is even higher).
I only ordered the Big Pete for $6.52 after tax. I wanted to get the fries, but that would have been over three dollars more making the total about ten dollars before ordering a drink.
I recommend Vans for good taste, but bring lots of cash because there's no ATM.

2  Thank Armchair C

Reviewed 15 November 2012

The grilled hot dogs are to die for - have the dog with the works. Don't hesitate to try the "frings" either. Frings are a mix of onion rings and french fries (in the same bag). Erica at the grill and Kelsey at the window are an awesome combo. Check it out. You'll be back!

1  Thank The2TravelingFools
Reviewed 2 November 2012 via mobile

Van's has the best burgers in the oly area. The owners are super nice, really wish they were open year around!

2  Thank Reubentinker
Reviewed 9 October 2012

After years of eating at this wonderful little place...I flew back to WA to bring my family there. Let me tell you they couldn't stop raving about how good the burgers, shakes & frings were...I can't preach enough about supporting local businesses and this one my friends is a must stop!! The service is amazing and the view is even worth the stop!!

2  Thank Marie M
Reviewed 16 June 2012

I took a chance and went to Van's Burger, I am glad that I did. They are a little on the expensive side but definitely worth it. The burgers were a good size and they actually grill the onions. The shakes were amazing. It has been several weeks since we went there and my kids are still talking about how good the burgers were.

2  Thank mwhfromchicago