“A diner”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: After-hours
Dining options: After-hours
Reviewed 22 March 2013

Finally got in here. Met a friend for lunch. Sat in a booth and had a couple of burgers. Waiter started chatting with friend at front of restaurant like he was at lunch. I never care for that. Burger was Ok and I will return another time when I want that old school diner experience.

Reviewed 1 December 2012

This is a great example of Olympia's fun and quirky atmosphere. Our daughter introduced us to this place and we liked it so much we went back again a week later. Service is casual; if you want to be pampered, this is not your place. If you want delicious diner food, run right over. They have a great breakfast menu (my favorite!) and serve it all day. Not in the mood for breakfast? The menu includes a variety of sandwiches, burgers, and dinner entrees, but their highlight is fried food. There is also a lounge in the back, so you can have beer, wine, or mixed drinks. Drank a little too much? Try a plate of chili cheese tater tots. Seriously. Or if you come from a generation raised on fried chicken, this is your place. Be prepared for leftovers. And servers with tattoos and body piercings. And be prepared to go back for more. I know I will.

Reviewed 27 September 2012

To make a very long story short - came in after the bars looking for some good greasy spoon food and ended up leaving - food untouched - with the staff mocking and swearing at us on the way out.

We waited over and hour for our food and after one of our party members asked why it was taking so long our waitress and the manager really let the F bombs fly. We were even told the cops would come if we didn't eat our burnt fried chicken.

I work as a hostess and in customer service. I have never been treated this way and hope to never be again. It is never acceptable for a manager (or even a waitress) to treat a customer this way. I don't believe that 'the customer is always right' (because I work in the industry and definitely know that is not true) but I do believe in treating your customers fairly and it is never ok to call a table 'a bunch of b*tches'.

I hope people read this review and take it to heart. Because after receiving a reply from the Owner of this restaurant the staff changed the story around and apparently it was ME and my party that was vulgar and rude and made them cry. Quite the opposite and I fear that the staff has no repercussions to the event and will continue to treat future customers poorly. EAT at your own risk at this place. Would give it 0 stars if I could.

1  Thank Randi A
Reviewed 20 September 2012

At least their website says they are the best in the galaxy. Who am I to know? Anyhow, I ate here for lunch recently, took a look at the menu and immediately thought this would be a perfect place to be at 2:30 in the morning when you are smashed and 24 years old. You would want to eat the menu, the entire menu. And you just might give it a go. And though I will never have that experience, at least I don't think I will, this place really served up a great lunchtime meal. Very authentic diner food, none of it really good for you, but tasty and authentic. The reef has come and gone over the years. Current decor is hip, as are the staff, but they won't fault you if you are not part of the pierced and tattooed crowd. I found the service to be super friendly, a bit witty, if not a bit slow, but then it's a diner, right? Breakfast served all day and probably all night too. Lots of good veggie options to please the Oly evergreener crowd, and plenty of stuff that comes piping hot out of a deep fryer and perhaps covered in gravy if you ask I can't wait for my next visit. So much to try!

Reviewed 13 July 2012

Good chili, great breakfasts. Ate here three times. The Portlandia folks would be at home here.

Review collected in partnership with Wyndham Hotel Group

Been to King Solomon's Reef? Share your experiences!