“Little atmosphere, little effort and a BIG bill.”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of La Petite Maison

La Petite Maison
Ranked #28 of 345 Restaurants in Olympia
Cuisines: French, European
Good for: Romantic
Description: Phone Number: (360) 754-9623 Grand Opening was May 3, 2011! Specialties La Petite Maison is set in a newly remodeled 1903 home that complements the French country-style cuisine. Chef Wells offers seasonal, local ingredients classically prepared and matched with an exceptional wine program. The expansive menu covers classic French fare (such as duck confit, cassoulet and house-made pates) as well as inventive creations such as lobster pot pie and crispy pork belly with hazelnuts. Along with the regular menu, a nightly prix fixe menu is offered. The prix fixe menu highlights the freshest ingredients available each day and provides Chef Wells a creative outlet to utilize his most advanced techniques. An extensive wine program features wines from the most classic and well-regarded regions and producers from France as well as Washington wines. Chef Wells offers personalized wine pairings to best complement the cuisine. History Established in 2011 After several iterations of restaurants in the space, the new owners of La Petite Maison are thrilled to restore the building to its original charm choosing to keep the original name of the restaurant that first opened in 1977. Now offering seasonal, local ingredients classically prepared and matched with an exceptional wine program, La Petite Maison is the South Sound region's only French restaurant
Olympia, Washington
“Little atmosphere, little effort and a BIG bill.”
Reviewed 1 October 2013

I had the highest of hopes for Olympia's only French Restaurant, but instead I felt let down by both its quality and its service. Maybe my expectation of not having to stop at Burger King on the way home was too much to ask. The portions were inconsistent and there was just mediocre service even though it was Saturday night and we were looking forward to an excellent meal. What we received instead was a dinner of disappointment that lacked any French atmosphere except for the stereotypical mediocre attitude by the waitress. The bill was almost $275 including tax and tip for 5 people, which I believe to be about $55.00 per person. The lobster, which I had, was not even lobster, but 'finger lobster'(crayfish or miniature lobster and the entree was huge. It also had a $40 dollar price tag. My friend had a steak (5 oz) and when it arrived we all looked at it and said meatball because it was tiny. It had a diameter of 2 inches. It was served rare. It tasted very good, but very small. Another two people had soup. The soup tasted good but one had a full bowl and the other barely had enough to cover the bottom. All the food tasted good, but not $275 worth. That is why we will never go back. I wish it had been different.

• Visited September 2013
2 Thank bellagio00

Olympia, Washington
“A very French dining experience”
Reviewed 12 September 2013

I'd read the owners plan is to offer authentic French fare in a farmhouse style setting. They have pretty much succeeded. Our son who cooks on ships and has considerable chef training was with us and more than once he commented he wished he had the time to do things right the way this place does.

My gâteau au foie de volaille was as good as any "cake of liver of chicken paté" I can recall, and I order paté almost anywhere I think it will be good.

As is par in France dinner tends to be the evening's entertainment so if you have plans for after, I'd discuss it with the person taking your reservation. There is a leisurely pace to French dining.

Expansive wine list intended, one can only surmise, so you can find an anniversary wine for the year you married or something. Prices go up accordingly of course, but there are also what I consider good value choices.

French cuisine isn't famous for no reason, and this place does a good job with it. As one reviewer noted it is a bit pricey on an Olympia standard, but this isn't a standard Oly place in any way. Serious diners in major cities would likely find the prices a bargain or at least very good value.

• Visited September 2013
2 Thank SkykomishBob
Washington, United States
“Great food, neat space”
Reviewed 3 September 2013

My husband and I recently tried this restaurant and came away very happy. We had wine, appetizer, salad, entree, dessert and coffee. Everything was delicious. The pork belly was cured in house, the pea salad was my favorite, and my husband said his steak was great. We will be visiting again.

• Visited August 2013
2 Thank Gena L
Jupiter, Florida
“A Little Slice of Heaven!”
Reviewed 23 July 2013

My husband is in the wholesale/retail food industry in NYC, well established over 35 years. Suffice to say, from NY to L.A., ( and beyond the USA) we have dined in many fine restaurants. We were in town visiting our newly married daughter and son-in-law who spent the week introducing us to much of the local fare. While all of the restaurants were delicious, we found most of the menus in town to be very heavy and saturated with 'hearty' comfort foods forcing us to return to our hotel feeling like hibernating bears ready to fall into a food coma! I did a little research online and found La Petite Maison...such a breath of fresh air! This is truly the crown jewel of Olympia, albeit a hidden a gem. We loved it so much, we returned the next night for a repeat performance! The first night we were a party of 4, the second we returned with a party of 7, both nights all parties agreed, the food was superb! This has become a family favorite, we look forward to returning to this restaurant each time we are in town visiting our children.

• Visited July 2013
4 Thank Stacey C
Pacific Northwest
“Splurge on the "Pre-fix"”
Reviewed 21 June 2013

I love watching foodie shows, and have been sad never to have eaten at a French restaurant before. Hubby and I went here for a date night on a Saturday and had no idea they didn't open until 5:30. The door was in an odd location and confusing to find. But, the owner/chef saw us peering in and let us in 15 minutes early. The menu looked amazing and the server/owner did a fantastic job describing the food and convincing us to try the "pre-fixed" 5 course selection of the evening: Carrot soup, clams, foraged morels with sauce on a pureed potatoes, chicken with yummy sauce, and creme brulee'. I will say I like clams breaded and fried and/or in clam chowder but always swore I would not eat them from the shell (too much grossness), but they were damn-fine-tasty! The soup was fluffy for lack of better word, and amazing, and I truly despise carrots. We were able to eat all 5 courses and bread, and not feel over stuffed. The meal presentation was beautiful, well paced and took about an hour and a half which felt like 45 minutes. Everything about it was perfect. Expensive ($160 for two) but sooooo very worth it. And who knew? I love clams!

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank shebrightoned

Been to La Petite Maison? Share your experiences!