“Lovely wooded setting overlooking the sound”

Hotel RL Olympia by Red Lion
Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Olympia
Oregon
“Lovely wooded setting overlooking the sound”
Reviewed 12 November 2012

Our large comfortable room with small balcony with view of the sound was great. We did have a microwave, refrigerator and coffee maker and a very nice pillowtop bed. Happy hour in the bar was great with a nice variety of food choices at happy hour prices. For breakfast, we opted for coffee only forgoing the sumptuous looking buffet in the restaurant . Also, room service is available for all meals. A nice little workout room is available to burn off all of those calories. The only down side to the location, is that a car is required if any shopping needs to get done. There is a mall/shopping center about 3-4 miles away, but no gift shop in the hotel nor any convenience stores walking distance for purchase of forgotten items. It felt too cold for my taste to be out and about, but there appear to be plenty of attractive places on the grounds and nearby for walking or jogging. The staff was friendly and helpful. We enjoyed our visit and would return

Room Tip: I'd spring for one of the balcony rooms overlooking the sound
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (203)
Olympia, Washington
Reviewed 29 October 2012

we had a great time at the Halloween bash- and the pricing for the room/champagne/bash/breakfast was great! you were out of the 'all you can eat prime rib' when we sat down for dinner at 630- not good. Dinner was delicious however, but took a loooooong time. The DJ at the bash was alright, played a lot of old music though- could have been a bit more modern. Overall good experience, would recommend. I was the only Popeye, so that was good!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
Wenatchee, Washington
Reviewed 21 October 2012

The room was okay but too much floor space was taken-up by armoire that was empty except for a tv - it was supposed to hold a fridge & microwave but didn't. The shower had NO water pressure and the fan was noisy and useless. After two showers it was like being in a rain forest and we had to open the window to get the steam out of the room.

I was beyond frustrated making our reservation. I asked if a fridge and microwave were in the room - the response is that to guarantee having them you have to pay for a room upgrade (another $10 per night). Otherwise you and "request" one and if you get there first, you get one. So, you either pay the extortion or roll the dice. When I asked why they couldn't figure-out how to put a Reserved sign on them, I was told it just wasn't their policy. Obviously, they want the extra cash every night.

We were there because of an event being held in the hotel, and I'll never go back.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Karen R
Dera H, Front Office Manager at Hotel RL Olympia by Red Lion, responded to this review, 23 October 2012
The Red Lion Hotel Olympia prides itself on creating the most memorable guest experiences possible. One of the best ways we can improve the quality of our services is to respond to guests’ comments and concerns. We value the time you took to share your remarks with us.
Please accept our sincerest apology for the water pressure and the exhaust fan in your room. Our shower heads are designed to be eco-friendly and reduce the amount of water usage resulting in less waste. The engineering team at the hotel has examined the exhaust systems in the bathrooms looking for ways to increase the capabilities of the fans.

Our Premium Rooms are upgraded rooms that have a balcony or patio, refrigerator, and microwave. The floor space is larger in these rooms as well. Unfortunately, we currently do not have microwaves or refrigerators in our standard rooms, but do have them available upon request at no extra charge. Our supply is limited and we are not always able to accommodate the requests for microwaves and refrigerators.

We do appreciate your business and look forward to you choosing Red Lion Hotels in the future.

Travellers are raving about these Olympia hotels

Trujillo Alto, Puerto Rico
Reviewed 11 October 2012

We stayed for seven nights and booked it as a middle point place to visit Mt. St. Helen, Mt. Rainier and Seattle. It was really the right choice.
Pros:
Good value.
Friendly and attentive staff.
Comfy and clean rooms.
Rooms and bathrooms are done daily and supplied with toiletries.
Comfy beds.
Gardens are beautiful and well maintained.
Safe and big parking lot with several building entrances.
Property was really quiet; there were a lot of children and pets ( as we saw them in the parking lot or the aisles) and we never heard any noise.
This hotel is about five minutes from down town, some malls and good restaurants, diners and fast foods.

Cons:
There's no fridge nor microwave in the rooms, unless you asked for them.
The property is in an area surrounded by government buildings and there's no restaurants or fast foods near the hotel, so you will need a car if you don't want to use the hotel restaurant.
No complementary breakfast is served.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms facing the government parking lot site for quieter stay.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank trisi
US
Reviewed 4 October 2012

Olympia has no major chain hotels -- nothing at all in the Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott etc, families. This may come as a surprise, considering the city is decently sized and should catch a fair amount of business travelers serving the state government.

But it does have the Red Lion. I had a fine stay with no major complaints, but a lot of little things aren't quite on the level of the major chains. They're like 85% of the way there.

Check-in was fast and the staff were friendly and accommodating. I had a two-night stay, and when I had gotten back for my second evening around 5pm I noticed I had left the Do Not Disturb sign on. I called the front desk and someone was immediately sent to take care of my room. It wasn't a full cleaning but it was adequate, and was my mistake in the first place. (They *did* honor the sign, after all.)

Overall I'd put the furnishings at very nice-not-excellent. The bed was comfy, the towels were fine and all, but I couldn't stop think what Marriott could do if they bought this place. TV was an older tube model and a bit fuzzy. My room was quiet and occupancy seemed low (midweek stay). The grounds and general area are pleasant to walk around. In fact my business was within walking distance, so the location was perfect for me. But for restaurants (other than the hotel's own), shopping, the Capitol or downtown Olympia, expect to be driving.

For newspapers you can choose a free USA Today or The Olympian, but not the WSJ. The breakfast buffet was OK with a fair selection of warm food, but I've seen better ones at Residence Inns. For example, I had to ask for scrambled eggs. The buffet wasn't free, but I didn't expect it to be and was reasonably priced (around $7-8 total) anyway.

There's no free coffee out front as there might be at a mid-level national chain property. The outdoor pool/hot tub was closed for the season, which was the biggest disappointment, as it was still only September and the weather in the Pacific NW is still dependably nice.

I don't mean to nitpick as my stay was fine and I hope to return. But the Red Lion is not quite a Sheraton or full-service Marriott.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
Surprise, Arizona
Reviewed 4 October 2012

We spent four nights here in Sept/Oct 2012 on our annual visit to see my family. We usually stay at the Phoenix Inn but were disappointed the last couple of times, so decided to try something different this time. It was not an improvement. The hotel is a bit outdated; the TV was ancient. There was no refrigerator or microwave, something we depend on when doing a road trip. I should have planned better and made sure I had a room with those amenities, since I think they are available. The location is sort of out of the way, but pretty convenient for all the places we go. Breakfast was quite expensive; we never ate at the hotel after looking at the prices. I suspect this is a good hotel for the business traveller, but for this leisure traveller it did not fill the bill. Now I have to figure out where to stay next year.... sigh....

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
San Diego, California
Reviewed 25 September 2012

Stayed here for 5 days and I have to say what an utter disappointment. After reading all the recent good reviews I was expecting a good hotel but instead found very little good about it. Bottom line: noisiest hotel I have ever stayed in, fair rooms that were a bit outdated, expensive breakfast that isn't included in your room rate, and checking in was a nightmare due to lack of trained staff.

There were two weddings going on while I stayed here. HUGE CAUTION: ask before booking if there is a wedding or party going on while you are there. Both times when the wedding parties finished they continue in guests hotel rooms until 4:00am for the first one and 3:00am on the second. I had to call the front desk many times to get them to finally respond. Had almost no sleep either time! Staff on duty at night both times didn't seem to know what to do and it took hours for things to quiet down (screaming, yelling, running down the halls)

The walls are super thin so our neighbors with the screaming baby and the couple who fought also kept me up. The doors on the room rattle everytime someone slams them. I travel around the world and have never seen a noisier hotel. Also the rooms smelled and had to change my room because of the moldy smoky smell.

Good: beautiful location

Bad: just about everything unfortuantely.

Overall: stay somewhere else.

Room Tip: Ask if there is a wedding during your stay because if so know they allow them to party and make nois...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank KnowingThisKnow
Dera H, Front Office Manager at Hotel RL Olympia by Red Lion, responded to this review, 27 September 2012

Please accept our sincerest appologies for the noise issues realted to the wedding parties that were here in the hotel. In response to the challenges, we have instituded new noise and activities policies and procedures that will help to eliminate noise disturbances trhoughout the hotel.

Dera Hicks, Front Office Manager