“Another great stay in a great hotel!”

Hotel RL Olympia by Red Lion
Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Olympia
Portland, Oregon
“Another great stay in a great hotel!”
Reviewed 12 June 2013

This is the 10th time I've stayed at this particular Red Lion and it just keeps getting better. They have replaced their TV wardrobes with a combination fridge/microwave/TV shrunk that is smaller and more useful (prior to this many rooms did not have fridges or microwaves). Easy freeway access yet very quiet. The staff was extremely accommodating for our very large convention (we used every single room in the hotel) yet the food was reasonably priced and the wait staff most cordial.

Room Tip: I've learned that the most quiet rooms are on the top floor.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Rachel K, Social Media Marketing Coordinator at Hotel RL Olympia by Red Lion, responded to this review, 13 June 2013
Thank you so much for the great review! I certainly agree- we are a great option for conventions. We absolutely welcome all conventions that want to utilize most, and all of our guestrooms and meeting space. I'm so happy to hear that your every need was met with professionalism, and a sense of friendliness.

We are excited to host you and your guests for future groups.

Best,

Red Lion Hotel Olympia

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
Yakima, Washington
Reviewed 11 June 2013

My wife and I have been staying here six times a year for 7 years now and not once did we have any problem and we concider ourselfs very picky. everyone is so frendly and helpful. They are top notch! Any time I have ever need a late check out they have alway accepted without hesitation. the views from just about every room has a great view and from the dining area is the best view of Capital Lake.

Room Tip: any room is great for us :)
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Sandra P
Wow! You honestly have me smiling from reading about your encounter at the Red Lion Hotel Olympia. As you said, we have a great staff, and we're fortunate enough to have that as one of our greatest assets. Our location, as you said is certainly beautiful, situated right on Capital Lake.

Thank you again- your business and comments are most appreciated.

Warm Regards,

Coquitlam, Canada
Reviewed 7 June 2013

Our room in the hotel was huge and quiet not to mention the great view. We loved that it was set
in it's own mini forest just off the I- 5. We will definitely be back again. Front desk people very
friendly.
D.M.Greengrass

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for the great review! I agree, our forest background makes us a very cozy option for business or leisure.

Looking forward to your return,

Federal Way, Washington
Reviewed 6 June 2013

I stayed at this hotel for 4 nights for a convention. While there are a small handful of low points, overall I was very impressed.

Checkin: friendly and efficient. I didn't think my debit card would cover the daily authorization for incidentals, but the clerk advised me that I could just fix it so nothing could be charged to my room. No problem!

Room: ceiling lighting left a bit to be desired, but lamps were high-powered and sufficient to light the whole room. Very spacious. Upgrade had just been completed so cabinet, television, refrigerator, and microwave were all brand-new. First full day a new alarm clock arrived, as well. Upgrades were in progress during the week but they were making sure guests were assigned to already-done rooms to the extent possible. Outlets in the room were sparse; a six-outlet jack was available by the desk, but nothing near the bed. Balcony was available for looking out over the wooded back area, but neighboring guest smoking out there kept me inside.

Bathroom: clean, with spacious counter. Had current-trend toilet-inches-above-the-floor, which I find annoying, but at least it worked. Shower head mounted high enough for a tall person to stand under, though water pressure was on the weak side (jet spray pretty much just dribbled; fine spray was too broad to efficiently wet or rinse wash cloth). As in most hotels, the fan wasn't up to the task of keeping the mirror unclouded.

Restaurant: breakfast and lunch were provided with my convention, but I did have dinner twice at the restaurant. Food was between very good and excellent, service very good (friendly, but moments of slowness not due to number of diners). Not nearly as overpriced as most hotel restaurants, good value. Would have liked more dinner choices at the lower end of the scale, such as more sandwiches than just a hamburger. View of the back lot is gorgeous; watched a deer walking around my second time there.

Meeting facilities: one room seemed dark, but perhaps the lights weren't turned up all the way. Most people found the room cold in the morning, but it didn't bother me at all. Chairs in the meeting room were very uncomfortable after about 2 hours; a week later I still have some stiffness in my back.

Checkout: as friendly and efficient as checkin. Since I'd already paid in full using the debit card, it took about 5 seconds beyond the time the computer needed to bring up my record.

Followup: as a frequent stay club member (new with this stay, so don't even have my card yet and don't remember the name of the program) I was sent an online survey on which I made most of these same comments. Very pleasantly surprised to receive a personalized reply from the General Manager addressing my specific concerns. That alone tells me this is a staff that cares about its guests. Thanks, Shawn!

Room Tip: Rooms along the back face an expansive lawn, woods, and the south end of Capitol Lake.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank FlyerDave
Thank you so much for the informative, outstanding review! I'm so thankful you not only stayed with us, but took time to give us such detailed feedback. I'm happy to hear you noticed we were in the process of upgrading some of our public and guestroom areas, and really like that you were impressed with the view of our restaurant; West Water. We are fortunate enough to have such a guest-focused General Manager who takes time to respond to each, and every guest survey we receive. I can honestly say that not 1 goes unread- we take these surveys very seriously.

Again; your time and comments are truly appreciated, and we most certainly hope you will be back again in the near future.

Warmest Regards,

Camas, Wa
Reviewed 30 May 2013

Got this place for a business trip. Arranged by my work. Very disappointed. I observed the place is in definite need of some cosmetic work. While at the front desk i noticed that some were provided complimentary breakfast and other not (me). Noise from the room above me. Something was spilled on the sofa. Would not stay here again. Hard to believe that in the state capital, this could be one of the better accommodations.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Rachel01081990, Social Media Marketing Coordinator at Hotel RL Olympia by Red Lion, responded to this review, 31 May 2013
Thank you so much for taking time to review our property. I want to first of all offer you my sincerest apologies for the inconveniences you experienced; when a guest leaves us with ill-hearted feelings, we have not done our job right, and unfortunately that seems to be the case here. I'm happy to let you know that we have quite a few upgrades planned in the future which will refresh our look, and give our property a new light. I welcome you back to experience these upgrades as I feel you will be most pleased, and I trust we will be able to win back your business.

We hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Nederland, Colorado
Reviewed 28 May 2013

Room furniture was old, but they had furniture stacked in the halls for replacement. Breakfast was disappointing. French toast was average and oatmeal was cold. Front desk was helpful when asked for assistance. Difficult place to find, especially at night.

• Stayed May 2013
San Juan Islands, Washington
Reviewed 19 May 2013

Our show dog needed two surgeries and we had to stay over a night so she could see the MD next AM after surgery. Great spot, very large place but nested in beautiful trees, short distance to anywhere, nice grass surrounding for pets, very pet friendly. Nice and quiet, so much that we thought we were in the country somewhere yet I-5 a short distance in the background. Even though I have traveled over 40 years worldwide and so often that I was an original USA Today Road Warrior, seldom have I had the treated like a real guest check in that Ardys at the front desk handled with obvious relish. If every hotel had a check in person like her, half their problems would be over. Highly reccomended. Did no food nor drink there - not with a zonked out standard poodle to care for.

Room Tip: With pets, the first floor rooms open right onto the grass - superb!
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family