“Food, Front & Service Excellent (but…)”
Review of Sushi House

Sushi House
Ranked #96 of 354 Restaurants in Olympia
Cuisines: Japanese
Reviewed 24 August 2014

I absolutely loved the food. We arrived at lunch and ordered their lunch special, two rolls, appetizer and soup. We selected their sweet potato appetizer (Croquette?) and it was very, very good. The two rolls were Golden California and their spicy scallop roll (sorry, can't recall the name off hand). Our waitress forgot to bring us our soup and we didn't remind her because we aren't big on miso soup, so we let it go. But we did order the salmon (belly) nigiri (our litmus test item for every new sushi house we try).

The food was five star in our opinion. We've eaten at some superior sushi houses and this place held up, so we now have a "go to" sushi place in our new home area! It made us very happy.

The front of the restaurant was lovely. Clean, light, the sushi bar was clean and it was very comfortable (loved their seating). The waitress was very friendly and accommodating, also enthusiastic to answer our questions and to make sure we enjoyed ourselves.

The only negative was, after eating, I needed to use the restroom. It was deplorable. Two stalls in the ladies bathroom, and one was filled with waste and didn't flush. There was mold at the water line in the toilets and the toilet paper in the "working" stall was sitting on the floor. It was really awful. I don't know if I just happened to catch them with severe plumbing issues, but it was truly bad. I will give it another try to see if the bathroom issue is resolved. If it is, this will definitely be a regular stop for us when shopping. I really hope it was just bad timing on my part! Because everything else was stellar!

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Stopped in for my wife's b-day and had the best time. Was surprised how attentive the waitress was considering how many people were pouring in. Sashimi was fresh however, if you serve salmon "serve wild salmon" I cringe whenever I get farm raised. Didn't have choice lunch special (sashimi picked by chef) yellow fin was very nice.

Reviewed 22 April 2014

The sushi and all parts of the bento box were great, and the veggie udon noodle stir-fry the best I've ever had. We go here once or twice a month, and the food is always good, but the service is sometimes not as organized as it could be. Servers are always very friendly, but sometimes they bring things in the wrong order -- last time had to be reminded of miso soup and salad, which we ended up having last, which was OK. I will forgive the occasional service lapse because the sushi is as good as we can get in Hawaii or at fancier places.

Reviewed 17 March 2014 via mobile

I've been coming here for about a year and the food is delicious and fresh! You might have to wait a bit for the sushi but it's worth it

Reviewed 26 January 2014

We don't get to Oly that often and wanted a nice dinner out. So many nice choices but went sushi because it is one of those things city life offers you just can't find elsewhere. This place had mixed reviews that were pushed towards positive by a person we felt knew her sushi. We are self appointed sushi snobs and have somewhat high expectations. Overall...very good...read on...
Pros - The atmosphere was cute and a little trendy. The location is very convenient (especially for those traveling or passing through). The choices on the menu were staggering and the presentation was very nice. We had the golden California roll and the sex on the beach roll. Two very unique combo type rolls that came to us fast and they were delish. Both had a nice balance of flavors and textures. We sat ranking this place against all the other sushi restaurants we have tried. In Oly...this ranks 1 or 2. Our service was pleasant and attentive and we had an overall nice time.
Cons- This place would rank 1 or 2 while in Oly...but I still harken to some of the other sushi places we have been in the greater area and this place would still rank high but behind more than a few others...why you ask. I look for that "over the top" WOW!" moments with sushi...this didn't have it. Could be due to anything but I'm just saying...we will try a few more out before returning not because it wasn't good, but it wasn't something "special". The price points were OK but don't look for a value here...I thought that we got a nice meal for the two of us with a price tag of around $30-35. The atmosphere was trendy so if you are looking for romantic/private...not so much.
Bottom line _ A nice place to get good sushi. If you are a self appointed sushi snob like us you have to try it and make up your own mind...

Been to Sushi House? Share your experiences!