“A pile of cheap spaghetti and six overdone shrimp fo $20”
Review of Sorrento Ristorante Italiano - CLOSED

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 15 March 2012

I ordered the linguine del golfo, which sounded delicious – shrimp, rosemary, basil, pine nuts in a white wine sauce.  What arrived was cheap spheghetti and six overdone shrimp.   I had to search for anything else and at the bottom of the plate was a trace amount of flavorless cheap wine.  There was no rosemary and the basil was definitely not basil. Some dark green leafy thing, like over cooked spinach perhaps, had been substituted to give the appearance of basil – but of course not the flavor.  Needless to say, the shrimp was overdone and rubbery. I added salt, but then had just salted plain noodles.  I had to borrow some of the sauce (no doubt from a jar) from my friend’s dish to flavor mine.

The owner is an odd character that barked at us when we arrived.  We thought at first something was wrong, like we were in the wrong place and he was yelling at us.  He barked at the waiter to seat us, as if he didn’t know to do that.  We were brought menus that had the owner’s life story and photo on the front, all borrowed from the movie “The Godfather”.  He oddly paraded back and forth by us throughout the dinner, without ever refilling our water glasses.

To start, we were served hard stale bread with a plate of oil for dipping – but not olive oil.  Who would want to dip bread in canola oil?   The salad was overdressed and wilted.  The desert was whipped cream with a blob of strawberry jam and a stale cookie.  Good thing we didn’t order wine.

Ching ching.  $20-something for mine, plus $16 for my friend’s store bought tortellini topped with pasty sauce from a jar.

I’ve never written a review of a restaurant before, but substituting spinach for basil was dishonest, so I have no sympathy for the owner.

1  Thank Cjroos

Reviewed 25 February 2012

My husband and I just finished dinner tonight at what we consider "the best" italian resturant that we have EVER eaten at. The service (by a very polite and quick) young man was just the kind of service I expect when I am out on a much needed dinner night out with my husband. Not the kind of place that is going to bother you every five mintues with questions and water serivce. And an OWNER who personally greets you, takes your order, and gives you a few minutes of his time, was what my husband said would be like what you get if you were actually in Italy. Now to the food which I have to say at "first bite" was the best thing that I have eaten in a long time. WOW. The pasta was NOT overcooked, it was fresh and somewhat melted in your mouth. If you have ever tried to make homemade pasta you know how impossible and difficult it is. The chicken and the toppings were fantastically fresh and the ending course is a cookie that even my six year old would have loved. Not to sweet and not too overdone after a large and filling meal. My husband and I left very happy, smiling, and singing this resturants praises.

Reviewed 25 February 2012

Hubby and I went for a romantic night, not our first time there...but will be the last. We had reservations which didn't seem to matter. We waited 30 minutes for a table. Then once we were seated waited -no kidding- 45 minutes for a water glass and weird cold bread. The remaining 2 hours turned into a comedy show watching a chef and wait staff yell at each other and who had no idea what was going on. I'm pretty sure my husband and I could have help those poor people behind us waiting for over an hour for a glass of wine. My chicken had weird unseared skin on it and my husbands veal was like pork pucks! The worst dining experience we've had and we are easy to please. I should have walked in and handed them our $70 as a donation for personality training classes for the hostess!

1  Thank sadler0906
Reviewed 16 February 2012

This place is the best. We went for dinner after the Valentine's Day rush. well worth the wait. This place is one of my very favorites.

Reviewed 26 January 2012

Franco does a great job with authentic delicious Italian cooking-after all he is from the south of Italy. It doesn't get any better!