“OK, but not worthy of #1”

5th Avenue Sandwich Shop
Ranked #1 of 353 Restaurants in Olympia
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Two of us visited for a Saturday lunch. The menu is simple -- cold and hot sandwiches, a few sides and salads, a couple of soups, and some desserts (cookies, cheesecakes, pies, etc.).

The (cold) roasted turkey sandwich was "ho-hum" and mayo-heavy, but the potato salad and pasta side salads were both decent/good, as was the (hot) BBQ beef sandwich. That sandwich is on a round brioche bun, so doesn't come in half sizes, just like most of their hot sandwiches. I note this because the BBQ beef sandwich has its sliced beef piled high and the BBQ sauce generously applied, so it is both filling and messy. You will have to consciously save room for dessert.

High-wattage smiles shine the way for service that was friendly, but seemed forced. Smiles disappeared immediately as wait staff turned away from their customers. Perhaps it had to do with their hustle, but we would feel more comfortable with genuine, thoughtful and laid back service. During our visit, there were many vacant tables.

Overall, our experience was just average. We would try it again, but don't think it deserves its current #1 TripAdvisor ranking for all of Olympia.

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 18 July 2014 via mobile

Great sandwiches , great welcome, and a great "little" extra. Highly recommend for lunch when visiting Olympia. There is another shop on 4th street open till 7.00pm

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 16 July 2014

I had one of the most delicious (and delightfully messiest!) BBQ sandwiches at this place.

The waitress was very friendly.

Reviewed 13 July 2014

We loved finding this restaurant while wandering Olympia. The staff were very friendly and our waiter took time to learn what kind of taste we were looking for. The ambiance is laid back but busy with all of the customers. Highlights: The four cheese sandwich was tasty, and the albacore tuna, especially on jalapeño bread, was amazing. Just right for us on a rainy, touristic day.

Reviewed 8 July 2014

My husband & I spent the day walking around downtown Olympia yesterday! We decided to try out 5th Avenue Sandwich Shop for lunch. I ordered the French Dip & my husband ordered the BBQ Beef. I absolutely loved my French Dip. My husband devoured his BBQ Beef! It's a little messy but well worth it! The staff was super friendly & service was quick! We definitely recommend this place to anyone who wants a yummy & affordable lunch! We can't wait to come back!

Been to 5th Avenue Sandwich Shop? Share your experiences!