“Excellent Getaway!!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Orcas Island
GreenLeadersGold level
“Excellent Getaway!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2014

This place is a really a gem! The highlight for me was the very large vegetable garden where we harvested kale, lettuce, sugar snap peas, snow peas, and mint to add to our meals. We also enjoyed fresh eggs from the hen house. My son loved the rowboat while my daughter spent hours beach-combing. We had the family suite and that was plenty of room for 4 people. Lydia did a great job of balancing between being available for us but still giving us the privacy. She shared a bottle of fresh goat milk with us as soon as my husband expressed interest and curiosity. She replenished milk and OJ for us whenever we asked. We truly enjoyed our stay and hope to bring others with us in the near future! Thank you, Lydia and family!!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank WenLyn R

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
San Rafael, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2014

We came here with a large family group, and really loved it. The rowboat was a hit for everyone. It was so charming to watch the teenager manage the youngers in the rowboat. We also made s'mores, and enjoyed all the farm animals.

The views at this place and fantastic, and ever changing. The tidal changes make for a changing perspective on the bay out front, and we loved seeing all the sea creatures at low tide, purple sea strs, crabs of all sizes..oh, and the clams squirting water out of the exposed sand was quite entertaining.

The garden was beautiful and bountiful, the eggs delicious, and the hosts delightful. Highly recommended, and we cannot wait to go back.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Angewaa
Arcadia, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2014

We had to cancel our four day trip to Pebble Cove Farm for June 17-21st, less than two weeks before our reservation because my mother-in-law suffered a cardiac arrest and then passed away a few days later.

We booked the reservations in January, and excitedly planned to visit the farm and Orcas for the six months leading up to my mother-in-law’s heart attack. We notified Lydia Miller as soon as we realized we could not in good conscience visit Orcas when my mother-in-law was on the East Coast in a hospital; I left a message for her 8 days before the reservation was set to begin.

We understood Ms. Miller runs a small vacation business and it would have been a financial hardship to expect to cancel without any penalty. We asked if she would work with us and either 1) issue a refund for 50% of the total charges, or 2) issue a credit for a future stay during their non-busy period. Unlike other vendors we worked with (both large and small), she would not commit to a decision but said she wanted to wait and see if she could rent out the cottages.

After the reservation period passed, she emailed us to let us know she had rented out both cottages for one of the nights and would credit my credit card for the amount. When I told her we were disputing the remaining 75% charges because we felt she was being unreasonable, she explained she did not have to issue this 25% credit but she did because she felt bad for our loss. So otherwise, if she had not felt badly for our loss, she would have kept our money plus what she made from the other visitor.

She further explained she could not issue a credit for the remaining 75% she charged us because it would prevent her from booking future reservations, even though I had explicitly written we would stay during a non-busy time.

At the end of the day, my credit card company said the charge was valid as they cannot influence the policies made by their vendors. While I understand we were out of the cancellation period and she is legally entitled to that money, I also, understand that a good business person might have been more compassionate, taken a loss or issued a credit for a future stay, and made a lifelong customer who raves about the place. I would caution potential visitors to either 1) buy travel insurance when booking at Pebble Cove Farm because if Ms. Miller is not feeling badly about your loss, you are out of luck, or 2) book somewhere with more compassionate people.

Below is a timeline of what transpired since Ms. Miller accused my sister-in-law’s review of not presenting the facts accurately.

In January 2014, my sister-in-law and I booked two of the cottages at Pebble Cove Farm with Lydia Miller, for our stay June 17-21st. In her confirmation email, it did state their cancellation policy is all cancelled reservations will be charged 10% of your total reservation and that reservations cancelled less than two weeks prior to arrival date will be charged the full amount of the reservation. But we never were worried about having to cancel.

On June 5, 2014 around 9:30pm PST, my husband called me from his visit with his family on the East coast and said his mother had just suffered a massive cardiac arrest and was going in to surgery.

On June 9, 2014 at 12:54 pm and then 1:10pm, I called and left a message for Ms. Miller to call me back as we had decided we could not go on the vacation with my mother-in-law so ill. She returned the call the next day at 9am but I was not home. I tried to return her call at 1:17pm but no answer so I emailed her at 1:25pm explaining the situation and asking if we could postpone our trip to a later date. She responded via email around 6:30pm asking I call her so I called her at 6:56pm. I explained the situation and she said she would try to rent out our cottage and we may be able to work out a credit for a future stay. A few hours later she charged us for both cottages at 9:31pm.

On June 13, 2014, my sister-in-law and her family decided they could not go to Seattle either because my mother-in-law had taken a turn for the worse. They contacted Ms. Miller immediately to cancel.

On June 15, 2014, my mother-in-law passed away.

On June 16, 2014, at 6am, I notified Ms. Miller my mother-in-law had passed away, hoping she would understand it would have been impossible for us to visit her farm and to inquire if anyone had taken over our reservations. In my email, I explained that I understood that as a small business based on vacation season, it would be a financial hardship for her to refund 100% of our charge but I hoped she would work with us and either, “1) issue a credit for the amount we have paid good between your non-busy season, or 2) refund half the total amount paid.

On June 16, 2014 at 11:53pm, Ms. Miller responded they had not rented the cottage and that “I would like to wait and see what happens before I make a decision about a possible credit.”

On June 20, 2014 at 8:58am, Ms. Miller sent an email stating she was able to rent both cottages on June 20 and issued a credit of $594.54 back to my credit card. Her email did not mention a future credit for the other three days we were charged which was what we had really been hoping for so we could still visit her beautiful farm.

On June 25, 2014, at 9:59pm, I emailed Ms. Miller thank her for the credit back to my card and to let her know we had opted to dispute the charge for the remaining three days through my credit card company. I explained to her we had undergone a major family emergency, had notified her as soon as we knew, and that we had hoped she would issue a credit to be used at a later date. I ended the email telling her that I truly hoped we could resolve the issue so everyone was satisfied.

On June 25, 2014, at 10:08pm, Ms. Miller responded to me, “Shame on you.”

One June 27, 2014 at 5:33pm, Ms. Miller sent another email to my brother-in-law and me reiterating that she could not refund our money because of the cancellation policy and that she had been generous in issuing the $594.54 credit because someone else booked a stay. She said she could not issue a credit for a future stay because it would be a loss for her, preventing her from making another, new reservation. She posted this response on TripAdivosr.com in response to my sister-in-law’s review but it has since been taken down.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
21 Thank Christina L
Lydia2222, Owner at Pebble Cove Farm, responded to this review, 25 August 2014
“Our guests were aware of the two-week cancelation policy for over six months before their planned visit. They canceled within days of the arrival date. I was extremely sympathetic to their situation and tried my best to re-rent their suite for the four days of their reservation. I was successful in re-renting both rooms for one of the four days and was delighted I could refund them this amount, which is not our policy. Pebble Cove Farm is a very small, family-run business and is our only means of support. We simply cannot afford to forgo four days of lodging income at the height of the summer season. Please understand that our cancelation policy is in place for this reason.”
Kiln, Mississippi
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

We traveled from the Mississippi Gulf Coast to Orcas Island for our sons wedding. Pebble Cove Farm was an absolutely great choice. Very relaxing. We could easily visit with other family staying there out by the fire pit and watch the eagles, harbor seal and deer. My grandson loved going get fresh eggs each morning for breakfast and checking out the garden. We saw many starfish, clams and oysters when the tide was out. I would definitely recommend to anyone looking for a peaceful retreat

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Sharon M
New York, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014

My wife and I spent two nights at Pebble Cove Farm and our only complaint is that we could not stay longer. The property is both beautiful and spotlessly clean, the owners are incredibly friendly and gracious, the animals are adorable and the vegetables from the farm that we picked for dinner were out of this world. We are kosher travelers so being able to cook is a huge plus for us, especially in relatively remote places like the San Juan Islands. So being able to pick fresh delicious vegetables from the garden and prepare them mere moments later for dinner was a real treat. Indeed, Pebble Cove was much more than a place to stay for us - it was an integral part of our experience on Orcas Island. I cannot imagine a more perfect place to stay in the San Juans.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
2 Thank eblair66
Redmond, WA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014

Pebble Cove Farm's inn features an incredibly beautiful view of islands near and far on the deep-blue bay....a lush green lawn carpets the way to the water where a fire-pit and many comfortable chairs are available for guests, as well as a row-boat and there's even a hot-tub on the premises for star-gazing in a dark sky not obscured by city lights.....the owners are always open for ways to be helpful or answer questions, yet never interfere at all in your privacy---the rooms are perfectly designed for the natural, simple warmth of the island atmosphere and have kitchenettes with dishes, fresh-roasted coffee for the making, fresh granola which is delicious, fresh milk and orange juice, and other healthy snacks. Buddy, an older pony, gently gobbles apples from your hand, and lovely bearded goats and white and golden chickens and hens roam about contentedly....The Miller family is delightful and friendly and were most welcoming to our two medium-sized dogs--the reasonable pet fee was well worth it to us. There is a lovely deck overlooking the stunning view, the bedding is wonderful, everything is very clean and tastefully furnished. We felt sad to leave Pebble Cove, we are recommending it to our friends, and we will most definitely return there. You will feel at peace and fully re-charged by the time you leave and you will have vivid memories of the setting and animals!

Room Tip: Our studio suite was just right for the two of us and our two dogs---though we initially tried to bo...