Sandpiper Beach Resort
TripAdvisor
All reviewsocean shoresgift shopwonderful placeget awayno frillsloving careeasy beach accessfully stocked kitchenlove this placeanniewalksunplugboardgamesretreatsupplies
Reviewed 27 June 2014

It had been a few years since I had time to get out to the coast, but I was very glad to find a last minute vacancy at my favorite lodging the Sandpiper Beach Resort in Pacific Beach. And I was even gladder to see that the Sandpiper was as wonderful as ever. The Sandpiper is located right on a quiet section of beach, unlike Ocean Shores with its crowds and vehicles everywhere nor like that new monstrosity Seabrook which requires walking across the highway and down a long staircase to reach the beach.

I booked Unit 17 which is a ground floor studio unit in Beach House II with parking a few steps away. I made this particular choice as I’m still recovering from knee replacement surgery and this unit meant I never had any steps or slopes to navigate unless I wanted to walk back up to the Office/Gift Shop area. My unit consisted of a fully equipped kitchen, a bathroom with large walk-in shower, a queen bed as well as a twin trundle bed, small dining table, chairs, and a nice fireplace. On my private patio were two chairs and a small table; the beach itself was just steps away. My only negative issues where that the refrigerator made rather unique noises and was only about 10 feet from the bed and there were no teaspoons, only tablespoons in the kitchen. And, unfortunately, on the first day I had a smoker on the patio next door disregarding the no-smoking sign regularly. Otherwise the place was perfect beachside casual and my unit was spotlessly clean.

Sandpiper is very popular with families; there is a playground in front of Beach House II and lots of room to safely run around. Units range from studios to three bedrooms. Another unique feature is that they welcome dogs in all units. I spent hours sitting around watching a variety of dogs happily chasing balls and sticks on the beach with their owners.

And a new great addition since my last stay was fantastic high-speed Wi-Fi in all the units. When the fog rolled in my last evening, I kicked back, lit a fire and streamed a television show on my tablet—a perfect ending to my stay.

I was sad to read some of the negative comments on this website about Sandpiper, but perhaps I am willing to trade off a chipped piece of furniture or an older appliance for the wonderful setting and the affordable rates. This is the Washington Coast not New York City or some exotic island resort. If you want to pay twice as much, leave the dog at home, and have your children crossing the highway (or dodging trucks on the beach) to play, be my guest at one of those other places. At the Sandpiper we happily leave the 5-star ratings for Mother Nature.

Room Tip: Their website has quite clear descriptions of each unit with photos and a diagram showing the building locations. If you have any additional questions, just call. Beach House I tends to be quieter and away from playground. In stormy weather times they don't allow parking down there though.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank comcox
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Pacific Beach is gorgeous and definitely worth a visit, but I'd strongly recommend picking a different lodging location. My family and I have been going there for years because we all have dogs and the hotel is dog friendly. Those are the pros.

Now for the cons. The place is pretty run down. It clearly has never had any updates made and is pretty shabby looking. I would overlook that if the service was good, but sadly this one horrible experience has forever ruined it for me. The lady behind the counter illegally wouldn't honor a gift certificate my dad purchased for me because it had expired. I explained to her that Washington state law dictates that the paid amount for gift certificates and cards cannot expire, but she just argued with me - essentially calling me a liar. I asked her if I could speak with the owner and she told me to consider her the owner. She then continued to haggle with me and in doing so, she saved $50 and lost a customer for life. My family often have exchanged gift certificates between family members for Christmas and birthday gifts, but that will never happen again. Nice work, Sandpiper.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
9  Thank Alex C
Reviewed 2 March 2014

We stayed here over the weekend in cabin 4 for razor clamming. There were 8 of us and it was not big enough. Pictures are nothing like what it actually looks like. 3 double beds and two twin beds (two rooms, one bath) the beds are so worn out they bow. Very run down, water is yellow and smells like iron.

Last year, we stayed at hotel in one of the main buildings and felt it to be more spacious (loft style) and much nicer than this cabin.

For the price, we will not be staying in the cabin again, however I will think about staying in main hotel.

Room Tip: Don't stay in Cabin 4.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
7  Thank tropigal8
Reviewed 7 February 2014

I have been going to the sandpiper for 30 plus years. A perfect, quite getaway, especially for dog lovers. We were delighted that there was new management! However, I was just going to book for this spring break and called to see if Jeff and Ben where still managing the property. Unfortunately, they are not. I will not be booking. Very, very sad to see this place crumble yet the rates go up.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
9  Thank Ashli J
Reviewed 3 November 2013

While I sympathize with folks expecting a true resort, I will say that the Sandpiper Resort is heaven for dog lovers and their four-legged companions.

I just returned from a visit (October 2013) and on the day I left chatted with other dog-loving guests, and we agreed that the Sandpiper was indeed run down, but perfect for dog lovers. It is true the facilities are aged and somewhat run-down, it is true that people may be disappointed with the plumbing, electrical appliances, and furniture.

But if the Sandpiper were to upgrade, you'd have Iron Springs. And while Iron Springs is a beautiful and fully upgraded resort, it is not nearly as dog friendly or welcoming of pets, and their rates are significantly higher. If a person wants plush, go to Iron Springs, if a person wants a place to take naps in between long walks on the beach, clamming, kite flying and beach campfires, and to meet many other dog lovers, go to Sandpiper.

I love the Sandpiper and wish it were a little more modern, but if I had to choose, I would keep it the way it is and be able to afford a longer stay with my happy pups.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo