“Pathetic”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Pacific Beach
Sandpiper Beach Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Pacific Beach
Reviewed 17 February 2010

This place has been a favorite of ours for many years. The new owners are just sucking it dry; no maintenance on anything and have run it into the ground. Nothing works; the towel warmers are now just racks, the machines in the laundry are gone, etc. The refer was cleaned with such a toxic smelling cleaner that I left my food in the ice chest I brought. After 3 days the refer still was unusable. The furniture and carpets are filthy and thread bare. It breaks my heart that this gem is now tarnished at the hands of greedy owners. I'll never go back.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled solo
2  Thank olychick

Reviewed 25 October 2009

I have been coming to this resort for at least 30 years. I wouldn't have come the last 15 if it hadn't been for the fact they have the best view of the ocean and beach on the washington coast. The fact that they are right on the beach makes it hard to go anywhere else... and their decks to their apartment type rooms are the best!!!! BUT... we only go there now maybe once every 2 years, we use to go maybe 3 times a year, it is just getting to run down in their rooms. This last time we went was terrible inside the rooms. They haven't updated much in the last 20 years. I think they put in new carpets about 5-8 years ago, This was the worst tho.... The lights didn't work over the sink or the stove or the table, they had run a bright orange extension cord from one plug to across the room to a floor lamp so there was light over by the table. The screen on the slider sat cockeyed and didn't quite shut. The shower/tub had a round mat in it that was so dirty I had to take it out. I didn't want to shower, but we had been clam digging and well we were stuck, but the shower was filthy, sand left from previous people stay there. The walls were dirty, and I wouldn't even use the soap dispenser (but my previous experience here said there was no soap in there anyway)... Thank God I brought Lysol. Oh, and the frying pans they provided, the coating was scraped off so bad that we had to go to the store in Ocean Shores to get a pan to cook in.
I feel I can say this because I am a regular, and I think they have enough regulars that keeps them full most of the time. I would say that is not going to last to much longer tho. While we were cleaning our clams at the shack people were talking that they need to go somewhere else. Its almost a health issue at this point.
I wish they would start doing some things around there, besides keeping the outside looking nice. I know times are tough, but this is ridiculous!!!
I must say you can't beat the view, the closeness to the beach, the sound of the waves and the emptyness of the beach (except during clamming season). BUT be prepared... bring your own fry pan (just incase) bring bottled water, and all your food... the nearest decent store is at Ocean Shores. AND don't forget a can of Lysol... I wouldn't have stayed there if it hadn't been for my can of Lysol!!!!!!!
I use to love this place I have referred it to alot of people in the early years and got them started on some wonderful family reunion memories... but I could never refer it to anyone anymore.
One thing more they haven't raised their room charges for sometime, I'm sure they can't with the rooms the way they are, but their prices use to be considered pretty high back in the day... The rooms were kept up rustic back then.
Sorry but I must tell the truth......

Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank cookieladySeattle
Reviewed 29 September 2009

The view was great and the beds comfortable. It did smell a bit musty when we first entered, but that may have been just from being to close to the ocean. The Sandpiper is a bit tired and tattered, but I knew that going in. What I didn't know going in is how rude some front desk people can be ... there was one woman with not enough English and too much attitude, very off-putting, especially since the reservationist had been so helpful.

Go down to Ocean Shores instead for a nice choice of motels, B&B's and casinos, with a much better choice of restaurants too.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BlueWindKami
Reviewed 28 September 2009

It seems the owners have fixed the problems the older reviews addressed.

Clean water and rooms, well stocked kitchen utensils/china. Friendly staff.

They only provide clean towels when you are staying over and you have to buy duraflame logs for the woodstove after you burn the first one - which seems a little cheap but this is the beach.

The setting cannot be beat if you want to be close to the beach and not have to worry about TV or telephone.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank Westhaven26
Reviewed 25 March 2009

I have been to the Sandpiper many times over the past 23 years in all seasons, and have always appreciated the relative quiet (the ocean surf is always audible and enjoyable). I don't need all the extras you will find at Ocean Shores like a pool, spa, fitness center, etc because I go there to walk the beach, ride the surf in my whitewater kayak, or sit and read. If you have dogs, they will sleep soundly after a few hours walk on the beach; be sure not to leave them alone in your room, it's bad manners. The upkeep has suffered over the last few years and that is sad. However, if you like it simple, as I do, you will appreciate the Sandpiper.

• Stayed: March 2008
1  Thank Hermit64
Reviewed 18 March 2009

The service was terrible, the rooms were run down, the water was stinky, the towels were stinky, the room was so drafty we couldnt keep it warm enough for comfort, the shower!! the shower controls were almost falling out of the wall. When we finally got the shower to work, the pressure was so weak, we basically took sponge baths because we couldnt get all the way in under the stream. The lady at the front desk was rude. She gave us a better room - we asked 'at the same rate?' she said yes, but then tried to charge us the higher rate when we checked out!! Terrible place - hopefully new ownership will come along soon, because it's a great location.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank jonbsan
Reviewed 15 March 2009

My wife and I have been here probably 12 times over last 11 years. We love it but admit it may not be for everyone. It hasn't changed much, rooms are a little old, the views are great and if you don't love long walks along the Washington coast or clamming, you probably shouldn't be here. I'd agree with other reviewers that the place could use a little reinvestment, but frankly I don't see that it seems any older than it did in 1998.
Every room has a fireplace, kitchenette and balcony or deck. No phones, no t.v. no radio. Yeah!
Kids can run around all they want, fly kites and play on the swing set.
The beds are comfortable and the rooms are always quiet.
If you stay in the summer parking can be a problem if you arrive late on a Friday, but
usually you can park very close to your room.
Watching a sunset from the balcony may change your life.
The best place to go out to eat or get groceries is Ocean Shores about a 20 minute drive.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled with family
#10 of 14 in Ocean Shores
Moonstone Beach Motel
Moonstone Beach Motel
#1 of 3 in Moclips

Been to Sandpiper Beach Resort? Share your experiences!