“Great Beach, wonderful view, old rundown room, cold floors and noisy”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Pacific Beach
Sandpiper Beach Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Pacific Beach
Spokane WA
“Great Beach, wonderful view, old rundown room, cold floors and noisy”
Reviewed 14 November 2006

We stayed in unit #2 which cost about $72.00 a day. The room was small with two twins, a free standing stove that worked too well and very thin walls. When the wind blew it rattled the whole building and the noise of the windchimes made it difficult to sleep. The room was run down with bare lights in ceiling and very worn cabinets, but is was clean and all the appliances worked well. The bathroom was poorly designed and COLD floors, but we had plenty of warm water and towels.

The staff was friendly and responsive to all our requests. We ate at Ocean Creast resturant and had a four star meal. Good admosphere and excellent wines. I would stay at the sandpiper again but would recommend unit #9 or 10. Don't worry about the water it will give you your daily allotment of iron.

I hope this has been helpful. Gary and Mary Kay Burgess

• Liked — The view and friendly staff
  • Disliked — Old rundown, very cold bathroom floor.
  • Tips/Secrets — For walking on the beach in November have rubber boots, rain jacket, pants and gloves.
  • Stayed October 2006, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank grandchildrenrule

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Renton, WA
Reviewed 7 October 2006

I also wrote the previous review when my husband and I visited the Sandpiper in July. My older sister came in from town from AZ and really wanted to visit the ocean. So she, my parents, and I decided to go to the Sandpiper since my parents wanted to bring their dogs.

First problem, when my mother went to check us in, the lady at the office asked for my mom's credit card to charge her for the room. My mom thought she had already seen the charge on her credit card statement shortly after she reserved the room, but the lady assured her it was only a hold on the room. When my mother returned home from our trip, she checked her statement and sure enough it WAS a charge, not a hold. When she called the hotel, the lady did some research and low and behold they had charged SOMEONE ELSE'S room to my mother's credit card!! I was so shocked; I could not believe such a mistake could be made. I thought it was very irresponsible on their part.

So, regarding the room.... We stayed in a different cabin than I had stayed in my first trip. It was cabin #4. It was an odd layout -- you actually walk in the front door into the main bedroom! The bathroom was very small. The worst thing though was that we noticed that the water was VERY yellow/brown color. I didn't notice this in my first trip there, but it was very obvious this time. Even boiling the water didn't help. It also had an odd odor to it. None of us felt safe to take showers, so luckily we only stayed one night otherwise we would have needed to shower in that water. So I would highly advise that bottled water be brought for drinking.

Other than that though, we had a nice time. I still would probably go back there, especially for the dogs and the pretty scenery.

• Stayed September 2006, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank jojobean31
Reviewed 23 February 2006

While this is not a five star hotel, it is a wonderful place to stay, uncrowded, peaceful and perfect for pet lovers like us. The fact it has no phones or television is part of why we go...to UNPLUG! The ktchen and dining areas were upgraded recently with new stoves and dinette sets. The beds are a bit hard but are serviceable. We have been staying here at least once a year for the past 9 years.

• Stayed February 2006
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 8 October 2005

The only good reason to stay at the Sandpiper is the beach, which is beautiful, huge, and practically deserted. We stayed there for two nights just before Labor Day weekend, and the beach was incredibly uncrowded--probably because there are no other hotels or resorts in that immediate area.

Other than that one consideration--and I'll admit it's a big one--this place was truly awful. This is the kind of place that teaches you that, when a facility advertises itself as being "rustic," it really means that it's just old, ugly, and beat up. It doesn't look all that bad from the outside, but inside it's another story.

We had a one-bedroom unit that also offered a living room with fireplace and a kitchenette. I know this all sounds great, but my heart sank when we walked in and looked around--tacky decor, not especially clean, kitchen cabinets that should have been replaced many years ago, and no really comfortable place to sit in the living room. The main sitting area consists of an L-shaped daybed, and our choices were to sit on the longer section with our backs up against the wall or to sit on the shorter section with no back support at all. Neither my husband nor I could get comfortable on that stupid thing to save our lives, and that was very annoying to us both.

The walls in this place are very thin, and as a result we spent a few hours one evening listening to a baby screaming and a dog barking (pets are permitted). Also, the rooms have no televisions or phones, but their Web site warns about that. They're also very fond of touting their heated towel bars, probably because it misleads you into thinking this is a classy, comfortable place. Don't be fooled by that as I was dumb enough to be--our towel bar did heat up but for whatever reason, it did not get the towels even "luke" warm.

When we asked the desk clerk where we could go to buy groceries, he directed us to the only thing the tiny hamlet of Pacific Beach has to offer--a small, poorly lit, filthy grocery store that we bought from solely because it was the only game in town for groceries and the restaurants we saw didn't look much better than that store. There were canned goods on the shelves that were literally rusty--and of course the prices were sky high. We just bought enough to get us through and got out of there as fast as we could.

I realize that all of this whining makes me sound both difficult and impossible to please, but truly, we had a bad experience in this area and were thrilled we'd booked there for only two nights. My goal is to warn others about it so that they won't have to endure a similar experience. Do yourself a favor and avoid this place!

15 Thank CatWoman324
Reviewed 9 November 2004

My husband and I, enjoyed our November weekend getaway at the beach! My husband celebrated his 59th birthday. Although it rained in our home neighborhood, we only had fog at Pacific Beach. We were able to take long walks and enjoy the beautiful waves and birds both from the beach and our comfy room with the rocking chairs and warm glow of a fire in the fireplace. The setting is rustic, but our junior suite was well-equipped with cooking utensils, (we cooked all meals in), and clean. We liked the extra "fluffy-warm" towels, too. It was very relaxing and quiet, which we appreciate. Since there are no phones or TV's we brought hobbies and good books to read and even brought our little boombox to play soft music. Thank you Sandpiper! Doug & Joan (Poulsbo, WA)

7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 8 August 2003

This place is great in October! Almost nobody else was there; it is away from any town. If you like solitude for a change, this is the place. We like it for our anniversary get-away! Just us, the forest, the waves (right outside our door), and God! An excellent place to share time together, and check-out of "normal life" for awhile.

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
#6 of 14 in Ocean Shores
Ocean Crest Resort
Ocean Crest Resort
#1 of 3 in Moclips

Been to Sandpiper Beach Resort? Share your experiences!