“ski trip”
Review of Crest Trail Lodge

Crest Trail Lodge
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Packwood
Reviewed 12 March 2014

A group of freinds stayed here for skiing at White Pass. The lodge is clean, comfortable beds, staffed by a couple who live there. In the evening wine was served, generous breakfast in the morning. Rooms were quiet and spacious. Had a B&B feel.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank tatter59

Reviewed 19 October 2013

In July, 2103, my wife and I went to Paradise on Mt. Rainier. There are National Park lodges in Paradise and Longmire. Their locations and atmospheres are wonderful (especially the one in Paradise), and the restaurants are excellent. However, they are old, rustic, and lack in modern comfort. As an alternative, we stayed in this motel in Packwood, which is about 45 minutes of drive to Paradise and the drive is beautiful. The room is spacious and clean. It was about 100 dollars per night, a lot of savings compared to staying in these National Park lodges. The first day we left about 11:30 am and went to Paradise. We came back about 8:30 pm (we had dinner at the restaurant in Paradise Lodge,) we found that the room was not cleaned at all We reported this to the male manager at the front desk. He looked quite upset, but changed our towels and emptied the waste bucket. Next morning when we checked out, the woman manager who is in charge of the housekeeping did not say anything about our room not being cleaned the previous day. I felt she was not a nice person.

This area definitely needs more hotels and motels as an alternative to staying in the National Park Lodges. There are two more small motels in the town but no hotel chain like Best Western, Holiday Inn, Comfort/Quality Inn, etc. in any place within one hour of drive to Paradise. Paradise is absolutely wonderful. There are many walking trails along which you can enjoy spectacular views and many beautiful flowers. We would like to go back and wish there are more alternatives for staying.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank GerogeY
Reviewed 29 September 2013

Packwood is a small and quiet place near to Mount Rainier. The hotel is a little bit on the outside.
From the 1st contact everything was very good: a very good reception, big hospitality, very helpful. The room was nice and clean. We enjoyed an excellent breakfast.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 September 2013

First of all, you need to be aware that this place is at the far west side of town. It was not on my Garmin so I picked a place that was. The town is so small I thought I would spot the place easily. Well, I came in from the east and started to panic when I didn't see it. Just as I thought I was out of town, there it was on the right.
The best way to describe the exterior appearance is 'non-descript'. It is very ordinary looking. But the rooms are VERY good - modern, well appointed, well decorated, well lit, clean and so on. Good TV, good bathroom, good sink area, If you plan to stay for several days, the dresser that the TV sits on has more than enough drawer space and is a really nice looking piece of furniture.I have done a lot of road trips with my wife and seen a lot of places in a lot of markets and I can honestly say this place could hold its own in just about any market except maybe Las Vegas.

A couple of other things. Internet and TV channel selection are a relatively big deal for me and my wife. I've been in so many places that advertise free high-speed WIFI just to run into weak signals and dropped connections and so on. Some of the best chains in the US suffer from this at a lot of their locations. Well, I stayed in room 112 at Crest Trail. The room is the last one at the end of the hallway. The signal had all 5 bars, connected very fast, never dropped and was fast. My wife and I both expected the backwoods of Washington to have very spotty internet. Not so. As for the TV, there were about 50 channels to select from including all the favorites. My favorite is CNBC because I need to be in touch with the markets and it is the very best business channel. Well, they had that almost all the other good ones. All came in very well except the one we watched the Chicago Bears on Sunday Night Football. That one channel had a slight blur in one part of the screen but really didn't get in the way much.

This is a great place which I highly recommend. Also, well situated if you plan to go to Mt. Ranier national park.

If you want to look for something to pick on, the beds have coil spring matresses. You can hear them when you sit on the edge of the bed. Almost a little out of place with the rest of the room but the beds were very comfortable and we both slept very well. BTW, the fact that the motel is set back a good distance from the road means that road noise is quite low.

Room Tip: If viewing animal life is important to you, choose a room on the road side of the motel because they...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank dickchirko
Reviewed 22 September 2013

Crest Trail Lodge is a bit expensive for the tiny town of Packwood, but I suppose not bad considering it's so close to Mount Rainier. The room decor is somewhat updated but the mattresses are probably old and could stand to be replaced. I always bring a memory foam pad, so my sleep was alright. The walls are a bit thin and the highway is close, but traffic dies down at night, so that wasn't a problem. I would have liked to see the door at the far end of the building be available for use (it's an emergency door only) instead of having to go through the little lobby all the time. There is a safe area to walk your pet and the yard area is nice with a couple picnic tables.
The staff was very friendly and the room very clean, with a mini fridge and microwave, coffee maker. Mine was a very quick stay, so I did not try the breakfast or wine offerings.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 22 September 2013

Spent a couple of nights here on our way to San Fransisco. The rooms are nice and clean, the breakfast is yummmmmmy with plenty to choose from and the staff are really nice! Defiantly recommend it :)
Plus there are plenty of deer and elk to see around!

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed 13 September 2013

We were pleased with our choice, the CTL is a very nice place to stay in Packwood. Clean, well equipped and spacious. All the rooms are double queens with nice bathrooms and showers and decent tv's. And the Internet service worked really well...a far cry from the other hotel we stayed in the first night. The breakfast is a bit above the 'waffle and weak coffee' that often serves as the free breakfast, though waffles are included! We will definitely rebook the CTL if we come back!

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Packwood
Mountain View Lodge
Whittaker's Motel and Historic Bunkhouse
Nisqually Lodge
Nisqually Lodge
#1 of 6 in Ashford

Been to Crest Trail Lodge? Share your experiences!