“A good place to stay, close to Mount Ranier”

Mountain View Lodge
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Packwood
Phoenix, AZ
“A good place to stay, close to Mount Ranier”
Reviewed 15 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed in cabin 7 for a couples of nights while exploring Mt Ranier. The room was very clean and well maintained. The owners are very accommodating. Very limited food options in Packwood, we ate at the pizza place and food was pretty good. Better options down the road.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank 2outandabout

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Portland, OR
Reviewed 14 August 2014

My family and I stayed in room 6 of Mountain View Lodge for four nights. Five of us stayed for one night, and two of us stayed for the rest of the time. Room 6 can sleep five. My sons had to share a queen sized bed and my daughter slept on a pull out futon in the living room. My wife and I slept in the bedroom. The beds were comfortable. Everyone slept well. There were plenty of pillows and extra bedding.

The unit has a kitchen with a small table that sits four. The kitchen was great for preparing breakfast and lunch. We ate out for dinner, either in town or up on the mountain. You could make dinner but I think that would be a little bit harder. We were able to shop for food at the local IGA and the unit has a good sized refrigerator to hold everything.

The unit was clean and comfortable. The bathroom must have been redone recently and was very nice. There is a TV in the unit which had basic cable.

The only thing we had a problem with was the toaster in the kitchen. It didn't stop automatically so you had to watch it carefully and stop it manually. I probably should have mentioned something to the proprietors but didn't.

The hotel is not luxurious and Packwood is a very small town with no entertainment available. Also, Packwood is a complete mobile dead zone for phone and data. If you're looking for a place to get off the grid, you've found it. The hotel had wifi only in the main building, which is a little bit of an inconvenience. But considering that it's the only way to connect to the world, it's an oasis in the desert.

If your emphasis is getting outside, seeing the magnificence of Mt. Rainier and the surrounding environment, and getting away from it all, this is an excellent option for a place to stay.

Finally, the owners were very friendly to us and the other guests. It's a nice added touch to an otherwise solid hotel choice.

Room Tip: I didn't see the other rooms but I would recommend room 6.
3 Thank Steven3000
Los Angeles
Reviewed 10 August 2014

My son and I spent two nights at room #7 (two queens). The room was very big and super clean: light wood laminate floors, granite top cabinet with microwave, coffeemaker (tea/coffee), mini fridge. Everything worked fine. The bathroom was top notch, very clean, great water pressure.
I slept with windows open (ahhh, finally, fresh cool air) and it was very quiet at night. Beds/pillows very comfortable.
My only wish - I wish they had internet (wifi) at the cabins, and not only in the lobby of the hotel.
I did not go for the breakfast, but I know they serve one. There is also a hottub at the property.
Overall - very good hotel (please note, that all rooms are different).
I loved their towels: white, new and soooo fluffy! ))))

So, despite the internet issue, they earn solid 5 stars from me.
Actually, I was so tired after a full day of hiking at Mount Ranier that I just wanted to crash in the bed.

Now, mind you - Packwood is a small town in the middle of nowhere. So don't expect Sheraton style hotels here.

I will definitely stay at this hotel again.

4 Thank krolikv
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 7 August 2014

Packwood is on a long lonesome highway, a good spot to access Mount Rainier, White Pass ski resort and Crystal Mountain ski resort. The town is unpretentious. Some places are closed, others abandoned, others packed full of people. The locals congregate in the three pubs/bars in the middle of town. The surroundings are spectacular and in winter must be even better.

We stayed two nights to visit Mount Rainier National Park and Mount St. Helens. It was very cheap.

The lodge is on the main drag, just outside town. It is a motel with a 2-storey section and cabins scattered round the back. It is very basic and vintage-looking; the “vacant/sorry” sign outside is still real neon. There is a pool, but emptied out and closed off. However, the room was clean, relatively quiet, cool in the heat wave we were in, and functional. The wi-fi worked well.

The small bathroom had been refurbished in materials with gold flecks and spots that just looked like dirt marks until we turned the light on and saw the colour - and that it was actually perfectly clean.

The A/C was loud but efficient. We were on the 2nd floor so it was quiet. We did not hear the people next door or the traffic.

The grounds were a little brown and shaggy in the summer heat but still pretty with tall trees.

Breakfast was self-service at a plastic fold-up table in the reception room, cramped, with plastic plates and utensils. There was breads, jams, cereals, fruit, tea and coffee. It tasted better than the breakfast dripping with grease that we had eaten at one of the joints in town.

The rooms have traditional Pennsylvania Dutch welcome signs at the doors, and the Pennsylvania Dutch lucky star on the building façade, symbolizing bounty. The friendly owners are Asian, and here and there the Pennsylvania Dutch style is mixed with touches of the Far East - an interesting combo.

If you wanted to use this as a ski stop-over, note that the rooms in the main building have no place to dry your boots and clothes and stow your wet gear.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Fort Lauderdale, Florida, United States
Reviewed 4 August 2014

We wanted to get to Mount Rainier, and realized nothing is "close". But, Packwood is in a good location, and we had read about the Mountain View Lodge....they have rooms of varying size, some with kitchens, and this suited us just fine.

We were very happy with our stay and the owners are happy to greet you personally, and answer any questions you might have about the area. They were really nice, and welcoming,

They have a continental style breakfast each morning, which was a good way to start the day.

It was a nice place that worked for us, and I'd recommend it.

Though this is not specific to the lodge, there are two things I will share: (1) there really isn't much in packwood in terms of restaurants or grocery, and there also isn't much near the park...so if you can, I highly recommend bringing food with you, and (2) distances are deceiving here. The paradise entrance is relatively close to 12, but the visitors center is still a long-ish drive. And the sunrise entrance is a little farther up, but also has a bit of a drive to the vistior center. And both roads are winding, with slower speeds....so it takes a while to get there.

Room Tip: There are cabins and rooms in the main lodge. I suggest taking a look at their website for descripti...
2 Thank David K
Hutsonville, IL
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Stayed here a couple nights while hiking in Mt. Rainier Park. We had one of the "cabins" and we were very happy with it. The hosts were very nice and accommodating and gave us a ton of helpful information about the town, where to eat, what to see, etc. There was some noise from the neighbors in the other side of the "cabin" - walls are pretty thin. But other than that, everything was perfect and we were very happy.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Vicki M
Columbus, Georgia
Reviewed 27 July 2014

I loved Mountain View Lodge! The area was beautiful! The owners were extremely nice! The room was a good size. The only problem was there was a car parked outside the window......the whole time. But other than that, the experience was great! If in the area, I'm going back.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank W0lfTravler
Also consider these accommodations in or near Packwood
Packwood Lodge
#3 of 5 in Packwood
Nisqually Lodge
Nisqually Lodge
#1 of 6 in Ashford

Been to Mountain View Lodge? Share your experiences!