“Spectacular dinner for two pretty seasoned "foodies"”

Port Gamble General Store and Cafe
Price range: US$10 - US$30
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Historic Feel,Modern Appeal. The Port Gamble General Store & Cafe is a great place to come for any occasion! The historic building takes you back in time, while offering flavors of today; fun gifts and home decor, souvenirs, ice cream, espresso, and a cafe that serves up from scratch cooking using organic and locally grown/sustainable products as much as possible.
Reviewed 21 April 2014

We live near Port Gamble yet had not tried the General Store's full service menu restaurant ---and so yesterday went for an early dinner. Simply put we had a shockingly exquisite dining experience, and this opinion comes from two people who have fairly refined culinary palettes (not meant to sound snobby). I had the seared Maine scallops with bacon, onion, chive hash served over chive butter and my husband had gnocchi with Italian sausage. The starter was a Scotch egg made with their own LanRoc sausage served over tasty lentils; the outside lightly crisped sausage was the best I ever had. We shared a dessert of flourless dark chocolate raspberry torte and this also was superior to any previous. I asked about the chef and she (Patty) is classically French trained and has worked in Boston and San Francisco. John the waiter was great, not friendly-fake and I loved his New Zealand accident. We've eaten at fine restaurants in Italy, Vancouver B.C.,Seattle, and more, but this is definitely one of the very top meals we've ever had and we can't recommend it enough. Last but not least the prices are very reasonable and the portions quite generous.

Laurice Riekki

Reviewed 24 March 2014

We went for the breakfast menu and decided on the classic breakfast sandwich and the standard breakfast offering, eggs, toast, meat and potatoes.

The service was good but the rancid oil in the potatoes was felt through out the day. Does the cook taste what they are offering? Doubt it. We were hungry, ate half of the potatoes and spent the rest of the day regretting eating any of it. Very disappointed and still feeling, ugh. Thanks, but no thanks, we won't be back.

1  Thank Suquamish
Reviewed 16 March 2014

This is an amazing little 'company' town that has survived for many years. It's rather pristine and has a modest quantity of very nice shops to visit. The highlight, however, is the General Store and Cafe. It must have looked the same for many years but I'm sure timely maintenance has been the main reason. What about the food and service? It was wonderful. We had to wait a little (lunch on a Saturday) but it was worth it. Four diners in our group and they all liked what they had from fish and chips (not over-breaded), soup, chicken salad sandwich, corned beef hash, etc. The service was attentive and friendly. They have nice desserts although we didn't have any.

Reviewed 27 February 2014 via mobile

Port Gamble is a turn of the century company town which has been lovingly preserved and restored. The town is simply a gem from the past. The restaurant at the General Store is in the back of what once was the town's general store. The food is hearty and delicious, the service prompt and friendly, and it all takes place in an authentic general store. It's a keeper.

Reviewed 16 February 2014

My husband and I went to Port Gamble on our last day of our vacation in Washington. The General Store and Café had been closed for renovations and had reopened the morning of our visit. The town of Port Gamble is so quaint and well kept. The General Store has a small collection of gifts, food, souvenirs and even has "penny candy". Upstairs is the "Of Sea and Shore Museum" which is free and has displays of shells and other sea life. The Café itself is small but the staff are very friendly and made us feel right at home. I got a grilled ham and cheese and my husband got a meatloaf sandwich, both of us got the sweet potato fries. My sandwich was very good and my husband said his was excellent. We also each got dessert. I had the mocha chocolate mouse cheesecake and my husband got a lemon square. Both were delicious and tasted homemade. It is a bit pricey, our lunch including a soda and dessert was over $50. But the food was very good and the service was excellent. A nice place for lunch!