“Our favorite place to bring guests for a celebration!”
Review of Ajax Cafe

Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, View, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Port Townsend, Washington
“Our favorite place to bring guests for a celebration!”
Reviewed 6 July 2014

My wife and I have been inviting guests to dine with us at Ajax Cafe for more than a decade. We have had some of our best restaurant experiences there. The designation of 'cafe' miss-represents the quality of Ajax cuisine. This past July 4th holiday, we made reservations for 5:30 P.M. and were 15 minutes late. The hostess was very gracious having held our table for an extra 12 minutes. Considering that the place was packed and there was a line to get in—this was very considerate. They rushed a table cleaning and had us seated within 90 seconds despite our tardiness.
We always enjoy the selection of hats that Ajax encourages guests to wear. We have many happy photos dining and drinking (big smiles on our faces) that we keep and send to friends. The food is always good, a great selection of seafood. Even though the Independence Day crowd packed the restaurant the cook managed to modify one of their items on special to remove dairy from its preparation. This consideration for my allergy is rarely handled so competently and with no need for extra instructions.
Sitting on the waterfront, some may miss the fact that the Ajax has so few tables with the view. Honestly, we never do look out the window. The boisterous happy atmosphere keeps us fully engaged throughout our dinner.
Saturday’s have live music. The two guitarists were perfect complements to the day, playing variations on modern songs and always earning enthusiastic applause. I’ve uploaded a photo of them as seen from our table.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank Alan H

Chimacum, Washington
“Serene location, festive atmosphere and superb cuisine.”
Reviewed 25 June 2014

The Ajax Cafe reminds me of the Alaskan style restaurants I've frequented. The location is a bit isolated, making it more of an event when dining out. I love being on the water front getting the fresh salt air before going in. The ambiance is definitely casual to the point that people from different tables easily can strike up a conversation with one another, and you can't be serious for long when your fellow diners are sporting strange headwear.

But the chefs definitely do take their job seriously. There are multiple seafood entrees, pastas and usually a delectible special which I usually opt for. The deserts are hearty and will ensure you don't leave un-sated.

Weekends feature live music by local musicians and the sea air is just as sweet upon departing. I usually walk along the quiet beach and look across the little harbor. It is a dining experience that covers all the bases.

• Visited January 2014
Henderson, Nevada
“Special Occasion Treat”
Reviewed 18 June 2014

Extensive choices of appetizers, entrees and drinks ~ very attentive service and great food; Tuesday night treat is a local trio Jazz group playing from 6-8 PM; one of our favorite dining places in this area where we spend our summers. Special occasion for us and pleased we selected this establishment once again.

• Visited April 2014
Port Ludlow, Washington
“By far, our most favorite Jefferson County restaurant!”
Reviewed 8 June 2014

We've bee fans of the Ajax Cafe ever since we moved to Port Ludlow 11 years ago - and after our dinner last night, it remains our favorite. We dined with friends at this unique waterfront establishment that features dozens of hats (some quite bizarre) that diners can wear through their meal. I had the halibut served with greens and gnocchi. My spouse had the crab cakes, and we both enjoyed the Caesar salad ( ours without anchovies). The portions were just right, and the halibut was delectable. Our friends had the halibut and the fishermans stew, and both declared their entrees "excellent." Their is an extensive wine list, but since I was the only one to imbibe, I had a glass of the house Chardonnay which was better than average - crisp, light and not too "Oakey" for my taste. The topper was the pineapple upside Dow cake for desert which was wonderful. Our one complaint about the Ajax over the years has bee the noise level - particularly on weekends when there is music. Last night, the music was loud - but excellent with a local duo R & B, who played an eclectic repertoire of 60's and 70's tunes. We'll continue to return to this excellent local restaurant.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank Bill H
“Eclectic surprise”
Reviewed 17 May 2014 via mobile

If you are in the area and want a fun,eclectic,funky place to dine at try Ajax Cafe. The menus were old LP album covers. No two chairs in this place were the same. A jazz trio started playing music at 6 and handed out their list of songs prior to playing. Along with the atmosphere comes some really good food. I had the Fisherman's Stew which was good but my husband had the Flat Iron Steak with garlic mashed potatoes and the steak just melted in your mouth! Looking forward to taking guests here next time we are in the area!

Visited May 2014