“Excellent Asian fare”
Review of Simons Restaurant - CLOSED

Simons Restaurant
Reviewed 3 May 2014 via mobile

Simon's, which will shortly be changing names, is run by charming Tina, who serves excellent food for a good value. Contrary to other reviews, the restaurant has a loyal following. I bring friends and visitors who always delighted with the food and service. The pho is flavorful and outstanding as are the chinese entrees. Port Orchard may be small and rural but many of us residents are well traveled and far from hicks so dont be dissuaded by the negative reviews.

Reviewed 15 March 2014

Well I know we will never go back. After three trys their food is a poor example of "Chinese" cooking. The meat was so tough and hard, their soup had hardly any seafood in it for 13 dollars. We had one dish that had a burnt flavor. They don't like you really sitting in the open bar and the service wasn't very good at all. This was on a Friday night around 6pm and there were hardly any people there. It was so expensive for what you received.Horrible on our terms describes this place. I cant believe this was rated in a magazine as good place to go. But then again its Port Orchard.

1  Thank happyjack62
Reviewed 25 August 2013 via mobile

The problem with Simon's is it is located in Port Orchard, WA. All the people here equate good food with how big the servings are and how cheap the price is. In short, they don't know anything about good food.

Simons had a nice atmosphere. It is owned by a family and they take pride in their food and service. They serve quality food and ask you to pay a little more for it (sorry Port Orchard residents) because it is worth it. The food is seasoned well and cooked with care by the owner. This is a good restaurant. Ok? Negatives? They don't give free refills on soft drinks. I wish they would change that but otherwise it is a good place in a town that would rather eat at the Asian buffet across the street or Little Caesars.

Reviewed 30 June 2013

Met a friend here for lunch last week based on some of the glowing reviews I've read online about this place. I'm having a hard time understanding why folks love it. Apparently their experience with Asian restaurants is rather limited. My friend had the Mongolian beef with rice and soup and felt it was just o.k. I wanted to try their Peppered Calamari, so ended up ordering two appetizers instrad of a complete lunch. The calamari was just adequate. I consider myself somewhat of an afficianado of Salt & Pepper Squid, which I've had in a number of restaurants in the Northwest. I've never seen it prepared in exactly the same way. One true test for me is if calamari/squid prepared in any way includes the tentacles. No tentacles? It's not authentic. They're always the crispiest, most delicious part. There were no tentacles and the portion size was very small. In Portland, OR I can order much more delicious and filling Salt & Pepper Squid for the same price I paid here and it's enough to feed three people. The melange of Jalapeno and bell pepper slices along with light sauce on top was nothing to rave about. I will say that the calamari rings were lightly battered and tender, which is a good thing.

To accompany the calamari, I ordered a plate of two fresh Vietnamese spring rolls filled with vermecelli noodles, bean sprouts and prawns with a peanut dipping sauce. These were good, but the clear wrappers were tough and very chewy (usually meaning they were made too far in advance and refrigerated). I make these at home so I know of what I speak.

The calamari was $8.95, the spring rolls were $5.95, so both dishes with a draft microbrew were $20 plus a tip. Twenty five bucks later, I left disappointed and likely never to return. The high point of our visit was our waitress (whom I believe is one of the owners). She was quick, very witty and quite entertaining. We engaged in considerable banter with her.

Reviewed 3 May 2013

Why the hype for this place?

Prices are too high for Port Orchard and there's no justification for it in terms of food or atmosphere. I mean, they charge for rice even when you order dishes family-style -- $1.50 for an individual cup!

Dinner for two (incl rice) was over $60 with tip - and no leftovers. (We spend the same amount at Golden Grill and get great food and appetizers -- and 4-5 meals as leftovers!)

Simon's Mongolian Beef was ho-hum with a lot of filler. The Wonton Soup was very plain, but the clear broth was actually quite good; this was probably the meal's highlight.

Wait staff is disorganized and slow, but they make up for it with friendliness.

The decor is a bit unusual for a place that's trying to be high-end Chinese. The restaurant incorporated some of the elements from the previous casual Mexican/Baja establishments, so it feels a little "off."

Overall, it's just not worth the hype and its current #1 rating on TripAdvisor. I'll save my money and try other restaurants instead.