“An odd place, with some nice features, and some flaws” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Washington Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Port Townsend
The Washington Hotel
Ranked #6 of 16 Port Townsend B&B and Inns
Portland, OR
“An odd place, with some nice features, and some flaws”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2012

I just returned from a 4 night stay at this place, which is possibly the oddest "hotel" I've ever stayed at. It consists of 4 guest rooms and a hallway upstairs from retail spaces in a renovated building in downtown Port Townsend. No lobby. No onsite staff, just a manager available on cell phone. She emails you the keypad codes, you let yourself in, someone straightens up your room midday, that's it for service.

First, the positives: The hotel is located very centrally, in walking distance to plenty of restaurants, shops and the beach and harbor. The furnishings are modern, if mismatched, and the artwork is very contemporary, and some is original. The mattress is very comfy, and I slept well. The towels are fluffy, the sheets all cotton. The thermostat in the room works well to control temperature, and the room was very quiet at night.

Now the negatives: there is no elevator and no onsite staff to help with baggage. As I was in town for an art retreat I had rolling cases of heavy tools and supplies. The parking lot is behind the building, below street level, and is paved with gravel, so dragging these up to the sidewalk, and then carrying them up 15 stairs to the level of the room was a daunting task. Granted, anyone travelling more lightly would not have had this challenge. But don't stay here if you have trouble with stairs, as there is no alternative way of entrance.

The room itself (I stayed in room 4) though very spacious, is laid out weirdly, with a useless, cramped sitting room with odd, mismatched furniture, but no table or desk, and NO CLOSET, just a row of coat hooks and a few plastic hangers. The television, which was tiny, was an old CRT model, in a deep armoire. It was positioned so the only place in the room it could be seen from was one of the beds. Since the beds are very high, and had foot boards, simply sitting on the end to watch was not an option. I had to climb onto the bed and lay down.

Most irritating was the fact that the hotel advertises as having free WiFi in the rooms, and gives info on how to sign onto the network in the room. However the WiFi was not working at all for any of the 5 days I was there. I contacted the manager, and she essentially told me there was nothing she could do. (She actually told me some involved story about the difficulty she was having accessing the internet at her home... ) I had counted on my ability to access the internet during this trip, and was reduced to hanging out in coffee shops with free WiFi. It would also have been nice to have been able to stream some movie or TV shows, so I could use my laptop rather that the poorly positioned TV in the room. The manager did not apologize, did not seem to be trying to fix the problem, and did not offer a discount or a refund for the lack of this (to me) essential service.

A problem that happened on my stay that was out of the manager's control, and will probably not recur again was that the city turned off water to the hotel for one night of my stay (due to construction in the street). But again: no refund or discount, though I did get some free bottled water to use during that evening.

Some little things that make this a less than excellent hotel (for me, they may not matter to others): very limited toiletries available (shampoo and soap only), no hair dryer or make up mirror in bathroom, and no toilet seat lid, so there was nowhere to sit down to dry your feet or trim your toe nails.

So make your own decision. If you travel lightly, are able bodied, don't watch TV or need internet access, or want to chat with staff during your stay, this may be a wonderful choice for you. Otherwise, probably not.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank erm58
accommodations, Manager at The Washington Hotel, responded to this review, 3 April 2012
First of all, Thank you for staying at the hotel. I happy to hear that you found our location is centrally located and within walking distance to restaurants, shops etc. That you found the beds comfy and room temperature was good, hotel quiet and the towels and linen to your liking. When you called about the wifi, yes i explained that i was having trouble at home also. In fact i had just left the hotel after using it's wifi for two hours without interruption. I also stated that I would have gladly helped you with luggage if you had called. I have helped others in the past. I had other guests and the business downstairs using the internet during your 4-night stay with little to no problems. There are hair dryers in each room with two extras in the common kitchen area. Again, if you would have called I would have been more than happy to personally bring one to your room. We are very lucky to have parking so conveniently located to our guests and also happy that we only have 15 steps compared to other local hotels having 25 to 30 steps and long hallways to maneuver. Yes, the city did turn off the water from 11pm to 5 am to avoid inconveniencing guests of hotels and restaurants. As always it is difficult to respond to issues when guests do not contact the staff for assistance. As I state to guests on the phone when making reservations and also in my welcome note in the room "I am only a phone call away." Marilou

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Lynnwood
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2012

My girlfriend and I have stayed here twice now and really like its central location. Very convenient for walking, as many of the hotels in downtown P.T. are, but this place is one street off the main road and very quiet, even during the day.

The modern decor is very welcome for us as it seems like most hotels in P.T. have the old Victorian decorating which is, well, not our style. Rooms here are always kept very clean, are well maintained, and the management does a great job of constantly evolving the looks of the rooms whether it's changing out duvet covers, chairs, or the paint color.

Can't say enough good things about this place as it's just good value for money and really in a perfect spot of the city.

Room Tip: For a single couple stick with room #3 as this is the only one-bedroom, single-bed, room.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
accommodations, Manager at The Washington Hotel, responded to this review, 29 March 2012
It was my pleasure to have you stay once again at the Hotel. You gave me such positive feedback after you toured the other three mini suites. I hope you do bring your family/friends back to the hotel as discussed.
I know that your visit here to Port Townsend was during the Taylor Street Construction, which was a concern for me for all of our guests, but yet you were able to post such a wonderful positive review,.
I truly appreciate your honesty in your post and welcomed your reviews of the different restaurants and venues that you chose during your visit.
Thank you both again and I know you will return again soon!
La Conner, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2012

Great location, tucked away yet minutes from all the shops and events downtown. It has everything you need. The best part: no check in or out process you have your own access.
We are headed back for our 3rd visit this year. We love it!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank AAEDB
accommodations, Manager at The Washington Hotel, responded to this review, 5 February 2012
Hello! I was very happy to talk to you again and hear that you are returning to the Hotel! It is hard to express what it means to me to have people return time and again! It is so important for this business to have quests provide such wonderful comments! We truly appreciate our guests and I wish I could do more for you during your visit.
See you soon!
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2011

My family and I stayed at the Washington Hotel just before Christmas. We have family who lives in Uptown in Port Townsend, who we visit at least twice a year. We've stayed at several other hotels in the area, yet had never found one we liked. (The Port Townsend Inn, for instance, felt like a prison cell and had the scratchiest towels and sheets EVER.) I am delighted we found the Washington Hotel!

The location is ideal: right around the corner from the Rose Theatre, and so close to shopping and our favorite restaurant in town (Khu Larb Thai).

With no lobby or front desk staff, the Washington Hotel feels like borrowing a friend's pied-a-terre instead of a hotel. It was awesome to come and go without feeling like a staff was checking on us.

The decor was appealing and fresh. The furniture looks like it's from Dania--well-chosen, contemporary pieces rather than a hodgepodge of Victorian or castoffs. The art on the walls was also visually appealing. Several reviewers had praised the towels and sheets, and the linens lived up to the reviews. Soft and fluffy towels, soft and high-quality linens.

We liked having a small refridgerator in our room, and on the flipside, I loved having a heat/fan/light on a timer in the bathroom--perfect for warming up after running.

We stayed in Room 4, which has a queen bed in a room with a door, a queen bed with a room somewhat open to the small living room, and a daybed in the living room. It was ideal for a family of 5 (3 young kids).

We will definitely stay at the Washington Hotel again. We are so pleased it's now an option in beloved Port Townsend!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Sarah S
accommodations, Manager at The Washington Hotel, responded to this review, 15 January 2012
Sarah, THANK YOU for such a detail, positive response! . I am excited to hear that you not only made this comment you were on twitter about it! I truly appreciate hearing that you will tell your family and friends about our hotel. We take great pride in providing a clean, boutique style hotel. Although we do not have a lobby everyone knows that I am just a phone call away and respond quicker than room service attendants in five star hotels to the needs of our guests. I welcome you to plan ahead and reserve your room for your next visit! Bring a group of family members or friends and you will receive a discount with multiple rooms reserved!
Happy New Year!
Mount Vernon, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2011

Stayed at the Washington Hotel in April 2011. Booked two rooms (1 and 4) - two couples each. Hotel is in the heart of old town. Perfect location to be able to walk throughout old town and if you hit the stairs, uptown.
As opposed to the "historic" hotels, the price is reasonable, the place is clean, rooms are large.
We again stayed at the Washington Hotel in December 2011. This time, we went with two other couples and booked 3 rooms. With the fourth room empty, we had the hotel to ourselves. Great way to enjoy a weekend.
I'd recommend this hotel to anyone looking to explore Port Townsend.
Marilou will go out of her way to make sure you enjoy your stay!

Room Tip: Room 4 is larger, with asitting area, however room 1 has windows looking over the street and Haller...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jim C
accommodations, Manager at The Washington Hotel, responded to this review, 5 January 2012
Jim it was a pleasure to have you return to the hotel and bring your friends! Yes, Room 4 is much larger. Room 1 is located and looks out to Washington Street and you can certainly see the activity over at Haller Fountain. Booking the hotel with a group of friends for the weekend, certainly provides a great central location to walk to all of the shops, restaurants and to the Farmer's Market uptown. I hope to have you visit again in 2012 and many years to come. Thank you for your wonderful comment.
Happy New Year!
Seattle
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2011

Stayed here for two nights over the Thanksgiving weekend. There are only four rooms in this second story renovated hotel. You must be able to manage a flight of stairs with your luggage; did not see an elevator. No staff on site but the manager is only a phone call away. She was very approachable and helpful. Room was comfortable and slightly larger than the typical hotel room. Bathroom had an industrial feel but was clean and good sized. Keyless entry to both the hotel and room. Fridge in room. Minikitchen with microwave down the hall. A short walk to all main attractions - galleries, bookstores, restaurants, clothing stores; as well as uptown attractions like a crafts fair and farmers market. WiFi - Secured - is available. Quiet since it's a block off the main drag and Port Townsend is, after all, a small town...

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
accommodations, Manager at The Washington Hotel, responded to this review, 6 December 2011
Thank you for your comment. It was my pleasure meeting you during your visit. Everyone experiencing the self-check in procedure that we have in place truly appreciates the convenience. I look forward to having you return again, perhaps during the summer festivals. Happy Holidays! Marilou
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2011

That is really all I need to say. Perfect location. Nicely appointed. Private. It's as if you have your own apartment for a few days. The Courtyard Cafe is right there for morning pastries. No spill over from the main drag. Very comfortable beds and great coffee. Look forward to our next stay.

Room Tip: Room 4 offers three distinct sleeping options for up to 5 comfortably
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank rosie3losangeles
accommodations, Manager at The Washington Hotel, responded to this review, 18 September 2011
I am happy that you found the Washington Hotel comfortable and conveniently located for your visit. When Mama is happy, everyone is happy! Thank you again for your great comment and I hope to see you again soon!