“Charming hotel”

Palace Hotel Port Townsend
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Port Townsend
Reviewed 24 February 2013 via mobile

Excellent location for walking around Port Townsend and private parking for guests. Staff was friendly and the rooms are clean. Each room is unique and it's nice they allow you to tour them. Prices are reasonable for the room and it is decorated with Victorian style. Just don't expect flat screen TVs and such but that's why it's unique. Personal taste but mattresses are very firm.

• Stayed: February 2013

Reviewed 21 February 2013

Just back from 2 nights at the Palace Hotel and we will be back. We were pleased to receive the 2-for-1 special so paid $169+tax for our stay - thank you Bob for your hospitality over the phone and once we arrived.
Enjoyed touring the rooms that were unoccupied so that we could see them for ourselves and have already picked where we will stay next time.
The rooms were well appointed with microwave, fridge, and coffee maker. The free wifi was appreciated.We will make sure to book a room with a kitchenette next time so that we can make some meals ourselves. PT has some great restaurants, but not much choice out there in the evenings if you aren't a seafood eater like my husband.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 February 2013

We've stayed at the Palace before, and the rooms are clean and quant and the prices are good--we're just never quite sure what the prices are. We were going to stay there during the holidays at the two-for-one special they offer on their web-site. When I e-mailed for the reservations I asked specifically for those rates. I was told the rates didn't apply during holidays. I e-mailed back saying that there's no mention of the holidays being exempt from the special on the web-site. i got an e-mail back saying I'd hear from the manager. Never did hear from the manager.
Also, the two-for-one isn't what it sounds like--it's two-for-one in the off-season at maximum tourist-season prices. A little confusing, and I think, misleading.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank RKipling
Reviewed 20 February 2013

Stayed at the Palace Hotel over 9-10 February weekend while attending a family reunion.Our room was Miss Claire's which was spacious, comfortable, super shower,and very Victorian.Staff was helpful and the tea/coffee facilities plus microwave very useful.Located right in the center of PT.Changed from another hotel, after reading the Palace ratings.Family had to visit us after our description of the Palace experience!!
Larry H

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 February 2013

Buyer Beware. Of course, Port Townsend is a charming and enchanting location and destination. I stayed at the Palace Hotel on Saturday, January 26th. I waited far too long to make reservations as the week before all of the hotels were booked "except" Palace Hotel. There was a beer fest, a garden show and a regional bridge tournament happening that weekend; admittedly I should have been more timely in making reservations. The Palace Hotel does not have elevators and is three stories. I was held captive given that it was the only hotel that had a room for that night. They charged me in excess of their normal rate $159 for one night plus tax of $20 for a total of $179. There are no phones in the room to contact the front desk; as I was participating in the bridge tournament I did not get back to the hotel until around 10:30 at night when the office was closed. The BED was deplorable. There is a sink hole in the middle of the mattress toward which you always roll. And, the springs were sticking into my side and back for most of the night. I wrote a letter to the management to which they responded by phone on Monday. The hotel manager was less than empathetic or sympathetic for that matter. I didn't ask for any financial renumeration or compensation, was really looking for a positive response about fixing the problem with the mattress. When I exclaimed that I had been in sales and marketing for the past 30 years and had never treated a customer the way he was treating me, he replied and I quote: "maybe it's time for you to retire". Extremely disrespectful and arrogant. And, when I exclaimed I was in chronic pain all day Sunday from a bad knee made excruciating worse by the poor mattress, he said and I quote: "maybe you shouldn't have played bridge all day on Sunday" failing to comprehend that I was on a team and if I didn't play, three other people would NOT have been able to compete after long distance travel and after having paid for accommodations the night before. His ultimate solution was to invite one of his friends (this is a quote) to sleep on the mattress and if his friend thought the mattress was OK, he would then begin to take surveys of all subsequent patrons who slept in that room. His friend reported to him that the mattress was ok. So much for unbiased representation or analysis. While the location of the hotel is good, beware if there is a beer fest happening as folks were celebrating into the wee hours of the night on the main street where the hotel is located. I would never recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: Check out the mattresses before you actually pay for the room. Lie down and see if it is comfortabl...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank tami g
Reviewed 31 January 2013

A beautiful Victorian right in the center of downtown Port Townsend. Easy location for exploring downtown on foot. Each room is unique, some with full bath, some with bathroom down the hall. Beds are comfortable and bathrooms have been updated. The hotel is old but well cared for. A charming 3-story building with lots of history. Stayed here for a month in April, 2010. Service can be hit or miss, depending on who happens to be working when you arrive. Rates will obviously be better during winter months, except at Christmas.

Just go for the experience. Imagine you are stepping back to a simpler time, when life moved at a slower pace. Relax.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 27 January 2013

The hotel was very nice, Victorian style room. The rooms had free Internet but was a little slow. The room had a coffee, a microwave and refrigerator. The shower was great with heads from above and sides. The area was very close to the water. The downtown closed earlier so not a lot going on.

Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites North Sequim
Fort Worden
Fort Worden
#3 of 11 in Port Townsend

Been to Palace Hotel Port Townsend? Share your experiences!