“Palace hotel, port Townsend, wa”

Palace Hotel Port Townsend
Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Port Townsend
Austin, Texas
“Palace hotel, port Townsend, wa”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2014

Lovely old hotel, cute rooms and helpful staff. It was warm for the NW, but we kept window open. That did, however, allow a bit of a sewer smell which my husband could not smell but I could. Just learned from another reviewer that staff said it was a paper mill. We stayed in a room with bath down the hall but it was not shared. The hotel is decorated with antiques and rooms are comfortable.

We were on the third floor and are accustomed to carrying our luggage but that may be an issue for some as there is no elevator.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Georgina H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
Olympia, Washington
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2014

The hotel is decorated nicely. Our desk greeting and the knowledge of the local area and what was still open was excellent. Some of the other rooms that were open looked beautiful. Our stay in Captain Tibbal's room was not very pleasant.

At first the room seemed excellent, nicely decorated and clean. The reason for the low rating was our beds shared a wall with a bathroom. And as the neighbors bathed their wailing child at around midnight our room began to smell like sewer.
This was not a faint smell but a gagging smell. It didn't matter were we moved in our room, it was permeated and it stayed a long time.
When brought to the staffs attention, they said others have said the same thing and it was just the paper mill.
To me this is unacceptable. There is a definite difference between raw sewage and paper.
A person could ignore the yapping dog and wailing child in the next room but not sewage.

Room Tip: Do not use Captain Tibbal's room. There is no view but trees and a partial building across the...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
7 Thank Happytotravel268
palacehotel1004, Guest Relations Manager at Palace Hotel Port Townsend, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Hello Happytotravel,
Sorry about your unpleasant experience at the Palace Hotel. We checked for the smell, but could not find anything. We would like to offer you a free night stay (off season) or a full refund for your inconvenience. Best wishes, Gary
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014 via mobile

We came down from Victoria, BC on the Blackball Ferry... Heading back home to Lake Oswego, Oregon. I Found this hotel on Trip Advisor and booked a room.
REALLY COOL OLD HOTEL! Don't know when it was built... it is old... But completely remodeled! All the rooms very quaint, different, and decorated to fit the age of the hotel. Super high ceilings... Like 12-15 feet! If you are a professional basketball player... You will love this place!
We were greeted by a very friendly gentleman that was more than willing to help us out on "What to See" and "Where to Eat".
The only downside to the hotel... NO ELEVATOR! You have to haul your bags (the hotel will do it for you) up and down some pretty serious stairs! That is why all the old timers were skinny... They went up and down serious stairs all the time! But if you are okay with stairs... Give this hotel a try.
Port Townsend is a small funky town that is fun to shop and eat in.
If you have the time... You should make the detour!
Enjoy WEST-MORRY

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank West-Morry
La Mesa, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2014

Just a fun, unique experience for a hotel. The rooms are named (we were in "Miss Lou"). The ceilings are very high. A ceiling fan kept the air moving. A refrigerator and microwave neatly located were a plus. We were on the third floor, so clearly, our rooms weren't for those challenged with hauling luggage up three flights. (There wasn't an indication from the person checking us in that help was available to carry things to our room.) And if you need free wifi, "go fish." They give you the password, but it doesn't work. I went down to get help, but none was available at 10:05 p.m. So, on a cautionary note, if you need WiFi, make sure you can connect before you settle in for the night. Technology and luggage delivery challenges aside, this hotel is charming and delightful. I highly recommend it.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank PatConwell
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014

I wanted to find something completely special. I searched on internet, made reservations elsewhere, but found out that their advertising was over promoting their accommodations. So i dug deeper and found this beautiful gem. We were treated like royals, I made the reservations with Tim over the phone. He was marvelous. He was the perfect salesmen for his property. Sold it with out having to sell it!! We were met and greeted by Michael at the front desk. Michael compliment Tim, by again selling his property with true enthusiasm. The internet pictures does not give the proper charm and elegance to this hotel. Every detail has been lovingly preserved to its historic charm. We enjoyed the Cecile room. Enjoyed the decor and period furnishings. I loved the old fashioned claw bathtub. We slept like champions, the beds were truly comfortable. The hotel was peaceful and quiet. The staff were wonderful, and enjoyable. The staff has been with this hotel a long while and it shows they don't want to be anywhere else. I got to play the piano in the lobby, My guest played fierce chest game with Michael. We were always treated exceptional. Michael gave us plenty of ideas of things to do and see, and made dinner reservations for us.

Room Tip: Each room is completely different. We chose to change rooms, just so we can experience as much of t...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank msnobleman
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014

I've stayed at The Palace Hotel twice and both times have been enamored with the property and well cared for by the hotel operators. It's hard to identify what I like most about this place! First, I will give it the "Location, Location, Location" props because it is ideal! You can walk to everything. The hotel is nicely furnished with period antiques and extremely clean. Although it's on the main street, both times I've stayed have been very quiet at night. One of the things I appreciate the most about this place is the 2 continental rooms they have that share a bath in the hallway. This makes my solo travel more affordable! The room I had was large and well appointed with sink, microwave, fridge, and tv. The bathroom was literally just outside the door! My room had a plush bathrobe and gorgeous floor to ceiling windows. Although I didn't bring my dog this hotel is pet friendly which is a real blessing to travellers. Keep up the great work and I'll be back again!

Room Tip: Pictures of each room are available on hotel website. Book well in advance during summer season. C...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank FaithL64
Astoria, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2014

this seemed appropriate for my 75t birthday.
I was a bit handicapped due to a boot on my broken foot, but managed the 30 steps up to our room. It was roomy, the extra little area between room and bathroom , with small refrigerator, microwave was handy and less cramped than in some 'modern' hotels.
It all seemed very well though out. Keeping the vintage look, but adding enough little things to make it comfortable.
We didn't bring a hairdryer, but got one from the friendly desk person.
the living room outside our room was comfy with books, music, sofas and chairs. It makes a bedroom there like a suite. We had some noisy children in the adjoining suite, but the manager handled this speedily. Just as he was talking to them, the parents returned, they had left them on their own.
the location is ideal, right downtown, you can walk to restaurants and stores.
we will return

Room Tip: all kinds of choices. I loved the adjoining room, with a small living room, pullout sofa, kitchenett...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple