“The Officer Left, he was a Gentleman”
Review of Tides Inn

Tides Inn
Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Port Townsend
Issaquah, Washington
“The Officer Left, he was a Gentleman”
Reviewed 11 August 2013

We stayed Friday-Saturday night at the Tides Inn, the front desk person was wonderful! We were told where our room was, we walked past these really nice buildings and just past the "white picket fence" was our room. They spent their money on a photographer to make the online photos look much better than "actual".reality.

This is not the room we were expecting, it was like a Super 8 with a hot-tub on the back deck..and that back deck was behind every room so while you are in your hot tub you felt like you were in their hot tub. We closed the doors and continued to hear the neighbors talking (may be they were two rooms over?? The sound proofing is non existent, if you were coming for a romantic weekend....make sure the romance is not at the hotel.

If you want to hear the sounds of the water outside this place is very good (just ask your neighbors to keep it down)

I travel a lot and these things are "the details" that make the difference between caring and just making money.

The bed was made, not changed, there are far too few outlets for the electronic traveler (chargers, laptops, CPAPS etc... The coffee was not replenished (and the coffee was so weak it was not coffee anyways) they did not replace the coffee cups, same dirty ones from the day before..
The ceiling was wooden strips, not bad really but they finished it with wood trim that had been painted white, they did not use tape... they missed the trim and over- painted on the ceiling.
The furniture in the rooms (including the mattress) has not been replaced in many years....that is the Super 8 reference (actually Super 8 have been nicer as they upgrade)

Every fixture in the bathroom was loose, the shower water pressure was one of those rain heads......no pressure at all, like showing under a watercan.

The sliding glass doors will now be called dragging glass doors, it was not possible for my wife to open/close the door. When was the last time you checked into a hotel where they do not have flat panel televisions? (not sure if this is a negative, I will consider it an observation).
If you get a price less than $100 it is a consideration but they are pricing themselves like a high end hotel when they are a "used to be" resort hotel with the potential to come back....with some honest effort (and attention to detail).

The film "Officer and a Gentleman' was filmed here (hence my reference)

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Darren T

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
Carmarthen
Reviewed 30 July 2013

We stayed here primarily because of it's proximity to the ferry. Our room with kitchenette was large enough and breakfast was the usual choice of continental food which we like. Shame about all the plastic and throwaway cups, plates and cutlery but that seems to be the norm. We didn't have a jacuzzi and were quite glad as they looked pretty grim. Best bit of our one night stay was seeing a group of 7 sea otters swim past and come ashore on the nearby rocks. Like most motels and inns it's a bit tatty round the edges.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank toolski
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed 29 July 2013

I arrived with my daughter and friend on a full moon night and the setting couldn't be more beautiful; even though I was staying on my own and my daughter and her friend were camping, the staff were not uptight about them having a shower in the morning.
my only criticism is the paper bowls and plastic cutlery: I refuse to believe that the money saved (if there is actually a savings) makes up for how much it diminishes the breakfast experience.
Great value though, and I'd stay there again (and bring my own dishes!)

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank paula j
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 24 July 2013

I loved this room because I could sit on the bed, and feel like I was surrounded by water. The wrap-around balcony was over the water, and the scenery was beautiful. The room wasn't contemporary, but it was comfortable and not a "cookie cutter" feeling. The small kitchenette was adequate.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank kadao
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 20 July 2013 via mobile

Don't be too put off by other negative reviews. Our room needed a bit of rehab but had a wrap around deck and great water views. Good value for a family of four with two comfortable queen beds. A short walk to the good selection of restaurants in port Townsend.

• Stayed July 2013
Maui Hawaii
Reviewed 19 July 2013

We stayed one night at this motel on our road trip... we picked it because of the view. The room a bit dated, shower very small, not a problem for us. Free Wifi was a plus...staff was very nice. It was a very quiet room, left the slider open...very close to downtown. Continental breakfast was fine...nothing fancy, but plenty to eat. The price was definitely right!

Room Tip: Our room was on the West end of the motel... very quiet and private
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank StargazerMaui
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 1 July 2013

Since I was planning An Officer and a gentleman theme to celebrate our 28th anniversary, I decided to book a one night stay at the Inn even after reading the horrible reviews. My friends,and family were shocked since I only stay at 4 or 5 star resort hotels.
First off let me say this. You book a 3 star hotel, don't expect much. So I didn't...
To me customer service first starts with the initial phone call. The first woman I spoke to was very courteous, was new with no one around to help her so she gave me incorrect information. I called a day later and poked Brittany who gave me a better rate, and told me she's giving me the better room. She was very helpful, and sweet so I booked the room.

Christine a little Asian lady checked us in, she was also friendly. When we got in our room I thought ok a glorified motel 6. Since it was in the older part of the Inn it had that musty mildewy smell. I didn't mind the smell, the smallness of the room, but I was not happy with the filthy jacuzzi. Spout has a leak, and tub needed to be reglazed. That had to change because we were there for a romantic evening.
So Christine sent maintenance over to check. I informed the blonde lady with glasses that Brittany assured mere was giving me the better room. I had a few to choose from, and without me being there I trusted her. The blonde blonde maintenance lady said, "No this is not the better one". So I told her to have Christine fix the situation. So we were moved two doors down. Which was much better.
The bed was ok, it was somewhat comfy, sheets seemed cleaned, but both the room we left,and the room we stayed in had stained comforters(icky). The bathroom was somewhat clean but tiny. If you're more than 200 lbs, and wide, I doubt you can move around in that shower. Small older tv but we didn't use it anyway. Mini fridge, microwave, iron, and mini ironing board available.
AC not available in the older rooms, but this weekend you needed one. Temps got up to the 90s. We just left the sliding door open all night even though ours didn't have a screen. There is a heater for the normally cooler days though.
The best part of this room was the deck with spectacular views of the water, boats, seals, and the jacuzzi if you have a clean, newly refurbished one. It was huge for the two of us, plus your deck was covered high enough from the other rooms for some privacy. All in all it's what I expected for a 3 star, don't expect much. The Officer and Gentleman Suite was already booked, so if you really want that room, do it way in advance. Or you could book the room next to it where Sid hung himself...lol
You get continental breakfast which was what you expect...nothing spectacular. The gentleman with the Brooklyn accent who checked us out was very helpful, and courteous as well.
For a one night stay it was ok, I wouldn't stay longer.

Room Tip: If its going to be a warm time, make sure you ask for a room with AC or at least a room with a door...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple