“On-line images deceiving” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ann Starrett Mansion

Ann Starrett Mansion
More attraction details
Owner description: A beautiful Victorian-style home with incredible architectural detailing.
Portland, Oregon
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“On-line images deceiving”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2012

As another reviewer mentioned, the 'for sale' sign was an omen that all was not well at the Ann Starrett. We booked our reservations on line based on the website advertising 'Bed and Breakfast' for the wooden boat festival. Upon arrival, we were told immediately by the caretaker that our B&B "...does not serve breakfast." Nonplussed, we then followed our host to a basement chamber that was to be our 'room' for the night. On casual observation, we were able to deduce that our room had originally been the coal storage bin for the house. No doubt of historical interest to the aficionado, we were not charmed by its lack of change in character. My sister in law had the adjoining room, a dark and dreary cavern, and the bathroom was down the hall. The bathroom had dry rot, broken shower tiles, and mold creeping up the walls that could be smelled, even easier than seen. My wife threatened to sleep in the car, as no other rooms were available in town because of the Boat Festival. We found the place musty, unkempt, and the beds very uncomfortable. The website shows the mansion in its very best light. I submit that was a long long time ago.
Not only has ownership lost interest in the mansion, they've lost interest in their guests.

11 Thank Michael D

10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Anne Starrett Mansion”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2012

Having stayed at this mansion some years ago when it was a B&B, I feel that I have some perspective. While still beautiful and a nice stay, the mansion is showing some signs of hardship. Our room was the Gables Room. Tarnished mismatched brass fixtures and furniture that is falling apart, broken tiles in the bathroom and cracked(to the point of not really being able to see well out of it) skylight detract from the beauty that was once a grand mansion. If you are a person over 5'4" I would say also that you better wear a helmet. Luckily my husband and I are both short and this was not as challenging for us, barely. With those negatives being said I will go on to say that this is still a gorgeous mansion and Richard the host was very sweet and attentive. The nice lady that works in house cleaning (sorry, I did not get her name) was also very sweet and made us feel at home. It is in very easy walking distance to the farmers market on Saturdays and to the restaurants and shops of uptown. Parking was easy also. I do wish that they would provide some coffee in a regular pot downstairs with some regular cups. The little pots in the room are sad. Maybe this would bring people back downstairs to enjoy the beautiful drawing rooms. Just a thought. All in all a very nice weekend getaway for us.

3 Thank Shawna
Wasilla, Alaska, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“An experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2012

The mansion is beautiful overall. We stayed in the Heritage suite, probably the least fancy of rooms, it wasn't luxury but was a place to sleep. We had a lot of space for the price. I liked the door with easy access to the street from the downstairs. I loved the feeling of coming to a nice home with a history, instead of just a cold hotel. The host was very nice and helpful, he made you feel right at home. I appreciated him letting us store our perishables in the refrigerator. The room and bathroom had efficient and warm heaters, and the tap water actually tastes good. I wouldn't recommend this room if you are looking for a plushy rental in which you'll spend a lot of time. It works if you will be spending most of your time otherwise occupied, and sleeping here only.
I didn't know dogs were allowed in the room. I have allergies and this would have been a deal breaker. However, my allergies were not particularly worse while in the room, but were bad over the whole weekend.

Portland Oregon
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Bugs”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2012

This place was awful. I stayed one night. Was booked for 2, but decided to move to a hotel.
The bed was uncomfortable. The quilts smelled old and musty. Probably haven't been washed in years. The bed was really short, and I'm short. Can't imagine a man trying to sleep comfortably in that bed. We had a basement room with 2 rooms and a separate bathroom down the hall....what a pain that was. There was ....what looked like a large cockroach crawling around on the floor. Had a hard time sleeping. Had to get out of there.
The inn keeper was really nice and friendly and helpful. I didn't have the heart to complain.
No breakfast, no phone, tv was old and didn't work so great. The sound was either too loud or you couldn't hear it.
Never again.

8 Thank katt238
new westminster
78 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 230 helpful votes
“great back-to-the-past stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2012

victorian era architecture,classy and historic building,great service and my family loved staying here, it was located in the middle of the historic old downtown and modern uptown of port townsend (can either drive around in minutes or walking around in 20 to 30 minutes, attractions close-by(grocery,restaurants,farmer markets....only walking distance)

Visited August 2012