“Excellent Food, Service Lacking”

Ichikawa Japanese Cuisine
Ranked #37 of 99 Restaurants in Port Townsend
Price range: US$10 - US$20
Cuisines: Sushi, Asian, Japanese, Seafood
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 29 March 2014

The only thing keeping this from being a 5* review was that the service wasn't great! The food was amazing! Had to wait to get my drink order and they brought the wrong drink initially. They took it back and had to wait too long to get the right one. Once the food started coming, the timing was great. I ordered a 2nd drink right after I got my entree and finished dinner before I got the drink, so I cancelled it. It took another 10-15 minutes to get the bill and get it paid.

If you are not in a rush, this is a great restaurant! Like I said, the food was completely amazing!

Reviewed 2 March 2014

I love this place. The fish is always fresh and seasonal. The service is the best and the price, well it is great fish so I won't complain.

Reviewed 22 February 2014

We stopped here for lunch after taking the ferry back to Port Townsend from Whidbey Island. My co-worker raved about the Sushi and the Teriyaki Chicken I had was really good. I would most certainly stop here again if I was in town.

Reviewed 15 January 2014

My husband is Japanese and said that this is one of the best meals he'd ever had. Wow!

My husband had the beef Sukiyaki, I had grilled salmon, one son ordered teriyaki chicken, and our other son ordered shrimp tempura. We had assorted tempura vegetables as an appetizer, as well as avocado sushi roll. We were all very satisfied and happy with our choices, and we shared bites around to get more variety.

The waitress was wonderful, as well. One son was not used to chopsticks and sat practicing his technique for quite awhile. The waitress made a makeshift "easy" set of chopsticks for him, which was so courteous -- he really appreciated that.

Just incredibly excellent, all around. I notice some poor reviews here, complaining about the price (yes, it's a bit spendy but to me it's well worth it to get some food that is actually well cooked!), and the service. Our waitress was superb, so I can't speak to what might have happened to other diners.

Don't miss this place if you like Japanese food. If you've never eaten Japanese food, you've got to try it!

Reviewed 15 September 2013

A new start under a management change including a "face lift" makes the setting very pleasant and intimate. The "donburi" was beautifully prepared and delicious from top to bottom. The service staff was helpful while assisting me in selecting my first try at sushi. This restaurant is now on my return to again-and-again.