“Manresa Castle”
Review of Manresa Castle

Manresa Castle
Ranked #11 of 11 Hotels in Port Townsend
Reviewed 6 May 2012

I had high hopes for Manresa Castle, their website made it seem like an amazing, fantastic place. When we got there the outside was beautiful, nice for pictures. But going inside, everything didnt seem "Vintage" but old and overused. We got the Tower Suite, which was 300 for us 5, and it wasint worth 300. A best western would have provided way more accomidations for this price. There was no fridge, coffee pot, or microwave in our room. We asked if we could use the coffee pot in the breakfast nook, and they said no! We had our own coffee and filters, and they wouldnt allow us, renting their most expensive room use a coffeepot downstairs to just make our coffee and take it up in a container. They forgot to tell us on the phone that the elevator was broke, so we had to go up and down 2 flights of steps, what if one of us had a wheel chair? Thats unacceptible. They had no security, and the doors were open 24/7 letting anyone in. At 10 pm, we heard a mother swearing at her kids, and letting them play on the attic stairs near our room, making loud banging noises. We went out for a tour and the mom asked if the tour was free, I asked her "Are you staying here" she said " No we just live around here" As if the hotel was a jungle gym that she can use whenever! She was there all day, letting her children play, we went to the front desk and complained. The lady at the front desk had no idea they were even in the hotel. The customer service sucked horribly. They had very friendly staff, but they were not knowledgable and didnt dress professionally, they even ate with us during the "Continental breakfast" which sucked. The maids did most of the work around the hotel and didnt wear uniforms so you couldnt tell them apart from anyone, they wore their own clothing. I believe they even stayed on the property, but I am no positive. We asked the front desk if they can get us a roll away bed, and she told us she thinks the maid is asleep and may be mad if they woke her, as if we cared or should care, that was totally unacceptable to say to a guest, she should have said " well take care of it". When the maid came to help us she was hussied up in heels and we think she was in the bar. Very unprofessional. The furnature in our room looked way to beaten up and dirty. The tile in the bathroom needed a good scrub down in the cracks. The windows on the outside were dirty, the view was beautiful but you couldnt see to well through the filth. The bathrobe in our bathroom had make up on it, disgusting. The restauraunt in the hotel had really bad food as well, I ordered a noodle dish that was 20 dollars, and it mostly contained watery broth and about 20 noodles with a bunch of mushrooms on top. It wasint hot, and I was very disappointed. The tv had BASIC CABLE in our 300 dollar room, with a very fuzzy picture. Overall I was so disappointed. This Castle would be beautiful if they would really fix it up and put a hair dryer in there, fridge ect, to really make it more comfortable. SPECIALLY if your in the nicest room, on the THIRD floor with no working elevator. I came for the ghosts and had no experiances, and nobody else in my group did as well. Slumresa castle, we well never stay again.

Room Tip: The first floor would be more convenient but the restauraunt has a bands playing till 10:30, so itll...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
8  Thank Desiree R

Reviewed 10 April 2012

You will be the happiest with a stay at Manresa Castle if you arrive with a clear understanding of why you are here. Under other circumstances, this is a place that you would only see through a docent led tour during regular visitor hours, after you had paid your admission. As the website explains, this was the 30 room mansion of one of the Pacific Northwest's timber and fish barons, designed to resemble a castle on the Rhine and certainly intended to be the most magnificent and well-situated residence in Port Townsend, then a thriving city with a promising future. It was built to a standard of luxury of time and place, with high ceilings, tall windows, beautiful woodwork and a stunning location with a view of water and mountains.

Through today's eyes the hallways seem dark, labyrinthine and narrow and the incredible height and musty smell is what makes the hotel so attractive for "Ghost" events. Many of the bathrooms, added later, are closet sized. There are no elevators, hot tubs or pool, or work-out rooms. There are televisions but without all the bells and whistles.

The staff is friendly, however, and aims to please. While the hallway smells musty, the rooms do not. My room was large, airy, had tall windows. I didn't care that a QFC now occupies the (distant) next property behind the hotel. . I had chosen a "courtyard view" room (the courtyard is a remnant of past use as a monastery after an expansion early last century). The view is great from the waterside rooms, but I would rather be out IN the view. Most crucial: the room was impeccably clean and the bed was good. I am a mattress fanatic and this was a good one, believe me. The sheets were nice and the towels were large, thick and very white. The bathroom was tiny but there was a nice basket of quality amenities. A continental breakfast is provided and while I hate the dark, windowless, low-ceilinged room that currently serves as the breakfast room, there were chairs and a table in our large comfortable room, so we carried breakfast up, to be enjoyed privately in our room.

Furnishings are antique pieces, some from the original building. They are nicely restored and thoughtfully chosen period artwork hangs on the walls. An interesting carpet with a rose pattern, revealed the high quality wood floor around the edges. Bear in mind that the original owner was a timber magnate. We had a king bed- iron and brass bedstead -with an elaborate damask bed cover and pillows. The overall effect was elegance and opulence of a by-gone era. Yes, of course it took a few minutes for the hot water to reach our shower. Yes, of course the feel of an antique arm chair is going to be different from what we sit in now. For that we have Best Westerns, Courtyards by Marriot, and the like. For luxury, we have the Four Seasons. This is something else. Without sacrificing cleanliness or a good bed, you will have an experience unlike what you can find on the public thoroughfare. Little unfortunate things -- like the presence of the QFC -- have already been factored into the price, which is so modest that one hardly has cause for complaint. Reading through some of the other reviews, looking at the pictures, and having strolled through the hotel myself, peeping into rooms that were unoccupied, I will say that there is a great deal of variety is size, configurations, and decor so, since everyone has different tastes, you may want to ask questions of the desk at the time you make arrangements.

I granted all five stars to this property, on the basis of the educational, enlightenment, novelty and interest value without a sacrifice of meaningful comfort. A stay at Manresa is a unique opportunity, one that will not always be available to you, and one that contributes greatly to an understanding of where you are. You will be remembering your visit decades from now.

Room Tip: The huge suite in the front tower is magnificent and great fun. Courtyard side rooms are perfectly...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Diamondqueen
Reviewed 10 March 2012

Everytime I'm in Port Townsend I always make sure I stay at Manresa Castle. I've stayed in most of the hotels in the town and no where else is the same. The staff is awesome and makes sure I have what I need and there is someone always there - even after the front desk is closed down. If I have a problem I call and tell whoever is working at the desk or there for the night and they do everything they can to take care of it. Each room is unique and filled with antiques. Room 304 is awesome. The view is amazing, it's of almost the entire town and the water. the room even has a huge jacuzzi tub. The other rooms are nice too, but that one is my favorite.

I love the history of the place. I take my friends with me all the time and explore. Everyone I take always wants to go back. The dinning room and lounge are great too. The staff there is nice and the food is amazing! They have a few signature drinks that I always get because no where else can make it nearly as good, trust me I've tried other places and their's is the best. Drawback to the restaurant is that they handle room service so when it's closed you can't get anything sent up to your room.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank AyLeeC
Reviewed 6 February 2012

OMgosh well, we stayed 2/4/12 there was no one at the desk when we got in at 8 so we used the counter phone which rang, & I don't kid, 30 times before someone got it, & for the budget rate of $120.00 we were given a really dreary room on the 2nd floor with a lopsided bed, a snack & two drinks in the bar that took an hour to get (all we got was a cheese platter but aparently they needed to make the cheese) . Our water view was more a view of the QFC off the highway, either way I couldn't see how any of the "view" rooms would actually have a decent view, all I saw was parking lot. All night we heard every door slam, foot fall, vacuming of the bar below, drunk trashy bridesmaids coming home at 2am. We didn't get any sleep (it was actually a much trashier place over all to stay than I expected.) & then there was the abysmal continental breakfast, we went down 20 minutes after it started into what must have been a dungeon & there was hardly anything left (4 people were in the room including us) the glasses were chipped, there was NO ONE to moniter food levels, it was freezing as a door was open somewhere...I could continue to go on but you get the picture, this place sucked big time do NOT waste your money I promise you are not missing out.

Room Tip: Don't stay there but if you MUST maybe go higher up and make sure your "view" room tru...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Angela P
Reviewed 14 January 2012

We stayed at Manresa last night (January 13th) in room 302. We went for my husbands birthday (he's into ghosts). We arrived after 6:30 and were greeted by a very friendly receptionist. We had paid extra for the "package deal". It was well worth it! We made our way up to the third floor (yes, we CLIMBED stairs!!!). Upon opening the door to our suite we were very pleased. The tower suite is rather large with a separate bedroom off the main room. We got settled and headed back down stairs to the Castle Key restaurant. The food was A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!!! Well worth the $ we paid. After dinner we walked around the inside of the castle. We had fun looking at all of the pictures of old Port Townsend. Once back in our room we watched tv (large flat-screen) in bed. The bed was not a king (like we have at home) but was comfortable. The only complaint I have was that the shower door is not "fat people" friendly. Luckily I was able to get in sideways (probably from the workout going up and down the stairs). The next morning I got to see the view from our suite. I was VERY pleased! The tower looks over the water. I was able to see the ferries coming and going. Absolutely gorgeous. We didn't see any ghosts while there, but my husband said he could hear a little kid laughing at about 4:30 am (the front desk said no kids were checked in to Manresa). Maybe we will see something next time... :)

• Stayed: January 2012
2  Thank TawnieC
Reviewed 9 November 2011

The castle was most intriguing - an historic property with wonderful views of Port Townsend and the Puget Sound. Our deluxe suite was quite attractive and looked very clean, but it smelled musty. It was attractively furnished in period furnishings (although I did not find the victorian settee or chairs to be comfy). The the bedspreads and pillows were looking a bit past their prime, but the beds were comfortable to sleep in. The bathroom was very large and spotless; it had a great heater, but it took 5 to 10 minutes for the water in the shower to get hot. Our room (204) was over the bar, so we got some noise from the bar until about 9:30 or 10 pm. I liked being 2 miles out of town - there was no noise from the roads or highways.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank tlb91
Reviewed 1 October 2011

Manresa Castle perched on the hill overlooking Port Townsend is a step back in time. Historic photos lined the hallways. The complimentary drinks and an appie to share before dinner were a nice touch.

Room Tip: Ocean view for an additional $20 was worth it. We had a lovely view of the harbor from our room up o...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites North Sequim
The Resort at Port Ludlow
The Resort at Port Ludlow
#1 of 1 in Port Ludlow

Been to Manresa Castle? Share your experiences!