“Long in the tooth and could use a good cleaning.”
Review of Manresa Castle

Manresa Castle
Ranked #10 of 11 Hotels in Port Townsend
Reviewed 14 August 2013 via mobile

Have stayed here 4 times and it continues to go down a bit more each time. Housekeeping is lacking in the carpeted area (apparently no vacuuming is done) in the room. The breakfast is the same every morning. Cereal, cookies, bread, hard boiled eggs and tangerines were on the menu all three days. Had to fetch or ask for coffee from the kitchen every morning of our stay. If you're looking for a cheap place to stay in a convenient location, it is adequate. Room 109 was very spacious but a bit noisy. If you're looking for ambience, maybe this isn't the place to stay.

• Stayed: August 2013
4  Thank TrvlTheWorld2

Reviewed 12 August 2013

My family visited Port Townsend last weekend and we stayed for a night here. Her daughter was very curious about the story of the old castle.So before we went all to bed, she read to us the history of the place. She let me read the last paragraph so as not to scare the kids lol. I got some chills when I found out that we were near room 306! Anyway,the hotel has really exquisite designs that has been preserved from longtime ago. The hallways really have some strange feelings as you walk by. The room that we got has a detached bathroom that made it a lil inconvenient to go to especially at night. And It was warm in the room but they have electric fan available when you need it. Despite the inconvenience, i had quite a good sleep overnight and the next day we were able to have pictures taken in their beautiful garden outside the castle.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank jhvh
Reviewed 11 August 2013

My mother and I stayed in the famous room 306, on August 7, 2013; which supposedly was the room whereby a young woman committed suicide by jumping out the window to her death because her lover had died at sea. We did not know this until after we had checked in. The room was spacious and beautifully decorated, but I would have gladly traded the furnishings for an air conditioner. It was about 85 degrees that day. No refrigerator either. Ice machine and pop machine are down below the first floor, so it's quite a trip up and down the stairs. If you want to use the elevator, you must have an employee operate it for you. Also, no black-out curtains so in the morning the bright light came in around the roman shades. We had dinner in the hotel restaurant that evening. I had the Seafood BLT, and mom had the Salmon. The appetizer was free, thank goodness because we ordered the Baked Brie and were not impressed. I'd say dinner was a solid 6 on a 1-10 scale. Drinks were mighty strong, however.
The following morning, we heard some more ghost stories at the continental breakfast, which I would give a solid 4 on the 1-10 scale. As we were ascending the stairs from the 3rd to 2nd floor, someone or something grabbed my elbow for a couple of seconds and then let go. I felt a shiver go through my whole body and it was the strangest sensation!
In summary, if you are looking for a paranormal experience, and a historical setting, this would be a cool place to stay. I just prefer all the amenities when I stay somewhere.

Room Tip: 306 may have a ghost!
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Janette S
Reviewed 9 August 2013

Based on previous reviews, we expected Manresa Castle to be outdated. We still went expecting vintage charm and/or retro tacky. However, our stay was far worse than we were expecting. Sure there were fun quirks like the hot water being cold and the cold water being hot. But there was also no A/C in our room, and in the summer the provided fan and one opening window left the room very warm. There was no wireless/internet access, and even the advertised HBO was down. When we went to ask about these things (8:30 pm) the front desk was closed for the night. The door with its window and large cracks between it and the jam are charming, until you want any privacy. And the sheet/cover, which we still hope were clean, had several noticeable stains. All and all, we spent as little time there as possible.

Room Tip: We stayed in 319, the "new" side of the building. Per the brochure, the original wing has...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank John H
Reviewed 6 August 2013

This hotel deserves 2.5 stars but because the bed was good and the bathroom was re-decorated, I felt compelled to give it 3 instead of 2. The reviews of this place were quite good so we booked a room. It was like walking into a David Lynch movie which isn't necessarily a bad thing - the novelty factor of staying in a place that is supposedly haunted (at least hinted at by the brochure provided by the hotel in our room), is compelling, but for the money we paid, I would have expected the grounds and entranceway to be somewhat welcoming. Instead, the stairs were crumbling, the grounds looked untended and there was an old clay pot full of cigarette butts at the entrance. Our room was tiny and had the smell of an old institution, which it was at one time, meaning that a full renovation was never done. But, if you like kitsch and old, you won't mind it and it was very quiet so with the comfy bed, it worked for us. Still, it's a hotel for crying out loud - so it would be nice if they took some pride in the place, and if the price matched the shabbiness of it. It's also not close to restaurants or the uptown or downtown areas which have nice shops and restaurants.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank canadanvandan
Reviewed 6 August 2013

Our family had a great time here. We enjoyed the decor and the fact that each room was different. The grounds were lovely. My husband enjoyed the bar and the live music on Saturday night. The Sunday brunch was great, and it's nice that breakfast is included. The service was great and they helped us with the elevator on check-in and check-out. And the view from our room was spectacular! The kids loved it.
On the downside, it had no air conditioning so the room was hot. Some of the windows were so old & dirty we could barely see out them. Overall, great place to stay and would stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank crazy4azmegan
Reviewed 3 August 2013

We booked a 4 day stay and were not told that they were having Jazz bands playing in the dining room until 1&2 AM. The dining room was just at the bottom of the stairs in front of our room and the noise was unbearable! They didn't have any rooms to move us so we were stuck listening to music that is not to our taste. They knew 6 months in advance that this was going to happen and failed to let us know! I would have booked elsewhere had I known. As for the hotel is a piece of local history and that was why I booked here in the first place. But the whole trip was spoiled by two sleepless nights. I would have given it a higher rating but I feel they only wanted my money and not interested in customer service!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
32Manager, Manager at Manresa Castle, responded to this reviewResponded 3 August 2013

We do agree there is Jazz Music at the Jazz Festival, sponsored by the Centurm Music Foundation, City of Port Townsend and the the Port Townsend Chamber of Commence. This is a highly publicized event and the second largest city wide event in Port Townsend, with the Wooden Boat Festival, being the largest. More than 50,000 people attend the Jazz Festival, for the week long event.
. The proceeds, at the Manresa Castle, and all venues , through out the city, are donated to the Centurm Music Foundation which helps and teaches, and provides scholarships to young musicians. . Some of the more famous and well known Jazz Musicians in the US and Canada come to Port Townsend and donate their time to teach top rated young musicians for a week and then perform - through out -the city. The Port Townsend Jazz festival completely fills all Hotel rooms in Port Townsend every year, with the over flow crowd staying in Sequim and and as far away, as Silverdale and other outer areas.
This event, one of the oldest in the country occurs every year at the same time.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Port Townsend
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites North Sequim
Fort Worden
Fort Worden
#2 of 11 in Port Townsend

Been to Manresa Castle? Share your experiences!