“In no way world class”
Review of Manresa Castle

Manresa Castle
Ranked #11 of 11 Hotels in Port Townsend
Reviewed 21 August 2013

Stayed one night. The actual hotel's history was interesting and apparently the room we had was haunted. I found the hotel to be drab and in need of a deep cleaning. Everywhere in the building smelled very musty-somewhat like an old thrift shop. As others have stated, there is no air conditioning and our room was quite hot. The very few staff I had contact with did not seem very customer oriented. Will I stay again? No.

3  Thank Sherri W

Reviewed 19 August 2013

We paid $244 dollars to stay in the "Tower Suite" Room 302 with our daughter. The table in the room was in horrible shape - stained, marred, splintered. The bathroom sink was cracked and rusty. Only two windows were clean enough to see through, the others had a haze on the inside of the storm windows which could not be cleaned so the view was gone. Only one shade in the main bedroom had a pull so you had to get on a chair to pull the others down if they went up too far. All of the flowers in the room were old plastic flowers. There are two bedrooms and only one TV. There is no refrigerator or coffee machine. The only glasses are plastic cups. There is no air-conditioner although thankfully we didn't need one. Also the elevator doesn't work after the early evening so you have to walk up three flights. I have posted pictures. This hotel is charging more than twice the price it should be. We travel a lot and I have never felt so ripped off. This is the first time I have ever been compelled to write a review. I hope I help someone to not make the mistake we made.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
7  Thank MCCoregon
Reviewed 14 August 2013

Like older places with character but more run down and maintenance needed than two years ago visit. drawer pulls to paint. Continental breakfast was Motel6 grade and both mornings they were out of coffee early. Housekeeping thin. Vacuuming would be nice. No bar.... restaurant.... lounge or snacks on our stat mon through wed. closed.

3  Thank TravelinGal16
Reviewed 14 August 2013 via mobile

Have stayed here 4 times and it continues to go down a bit more each time. Housekeeping is lacking in the carpeted area (apparently no vacuuming is done) in the room. The breakfast is the same every morning. Cereal, cookies, bread, hard boiled eggs and tangerines were on the menu all three days. Had to fetch or ask for coffee from the kitchen every morning of our stay. If you're looking for a cheap place to stay in a convenient location, it is adequate. Room 109 was very spacious but a bit noisy. If you're looking for ambience, maybe this isn't the place to stay.

• Stayed: August 2013
4  Thank TrvlTheWorld2
Reviewed 12 August 2013

My family visited Port Townsend last weekend and we stayed for a night here. Her daughter was very curious about the story of the old castle.So before we went all to bed, she read to us the history of the place. She let me read the last paragraph so as not to scare the kids lol. I got some chills when I found out that we were near room 306! Anyway,the hotel has really exquisite designs that has been preserved from longtime ago. The hallways really have some strange feelings as you walk by. The room that we got has a detached bathroom that made it a lil inconvenient to go to especially at night. And It was warm in the room but they have electric fan available when you need it. Despite the inconvenience, i had quite a good sleep overnight and the next day we were able to have pictures taken in their beautiful garden outside the castle.

2  Thank jhvh
Reviewed 11 August 2013

My mother and I stayed in the famous room 306, on August 7, 2013; which supposedly was the room whereby a young woman committed suicide by jumping out the window to her death because her lover had died at sea. We did not know this until after we had checked in. The room was spacious and beautifully decorated, but I would have gladly traded the furnishings for an air conditioner. It was about 85 degrees that day. No refrigerator either. Ice machine and pop machine are down below the first floor, so it's quite a trip up and down the stairs. If you want to use the elevator, you must have an employee operate it for you. Also, no black-out curtains so in the morning the bright light came in around the roman shades. We had dinner in the hotel restaurant that evening. I had the Seafood BLT, and mom had the Salmon. The appetizer was free, thank goodness because we ordered the Baked Brie and were not impressed. I'd say dinner was a solid 6 on a 1-10 scale. Drinks were mighty strong, however.
The following morning, we heard some more ghost stories at the continental breakfast, which I would give a solid 4 on the 1-10 scale. As we were ascending the stairs from the 3rd to 2nd floor, someone or something grabbed my elbow for a couple of seconds and then let go. I felt a shiver go through my whole body and it was the strangest sensation!
In summary, if you are looking for a paranormal experience, and a historical setting, this would be a cool place to stay. I just prefer all the amenities when I stay somewhere.

Room Tip: 306 may have a ghost!
3  Thank Janette S
Reviewed 9 August 2013

Based on previous reviews, we expected Manresa Castle to be outdated. We still went expecting vintage charm and/or retro tacky. However, our stay was far worse than we were expecting. Sure there were fun quirks like the hot water being cold and the cold water being hot. But there was also no A/C in our room, and in the summer the provided fan and one opening window left the room very warm. There was no wireless/internet access, and even the advertised HBO was down. When we went to ask about these things (8:30 pm) the front desk was closed for the night. The door with its window and large cracks between it and the jam are charming, until you want any privacy. And the sheet/cover, which we still hope were clean, had several noticeable stains. All and all, we spent as little time there as possible.

Room Tip: We stayed in 319, the "new" side of the building. Per the brochure, the original wing has...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites North Sequim
Captain Whidbey Inn
Captain Whidbey Inn
#1 of 2 in Coupeville

Been to Manresa Castle? Share your experiences!