“stay with kids at Manresa”
Review of Manresa Castle

Manresa Castle
Ranked #11 of 11 Hotels in Port Townsend
Reviewed 22 June 2014

I like this place. It's not a 4 star hotel mind you it's a 130 year old building. Its creaky, imperfect and well just cool. I love old buildings and this one is just something you should go see. It was comfortable. We had a really old TV which my kids laughed about, but who cares.... we weren't there for the TV. The staff was good to us. I would stay there again. If you are looking for a fine 4 stars, this is not for you. If you are looking for something interesting with history and cool trimmings this is for you.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank mommyofseven

Reviewed 9 June 2014

We really enjoyed our stay here at this hotel. Victorian romantic feel. Awesome to have a lounge right in the hotel-very wonderful bartender. The rooms were awesome and very clean. Really enjoyed the breakfast brunch they had on sunday and it was fabulous. I had the Seafood omelet and my husband the standard eggs, toast, potatoes and bacon..Yum .It was complimentary for staying on a saturday night I guess. No worries about parking our classic camaro in the private fenced parking area. We will be back. Thank you for being a nice hotel - Shannon & Patti -Montesano,wa-

Reviewed 9 June 2014

The hotel itself was beautiful, and a step back in time. You know as a hotel, I cannot fault it too much as I should know what I am getting into staying in a 130 year old building. But with that being said, I would have liked for the bedding to be much more comfortable than it was. The headboard was metal, and there was a lack of pillows. Also lighting, I get that the building was designed to maximize natural light, but blackout curtains would have been appreciated. Very hard to sleep in when the room is bright as the sun.
I did not interact very much with the staff, so anything positive or negative. The restaurant on the other hand, very very good. The staff was friendly, and the food was delicious.
For the area, there are not a lot of options so I might stay there again, but it would defiantly not be my first pick as the novelty wears thin.

3  Thank Josh H
Reviewed 7 June 2014

We spent two nights recently. Room was so cute and clean, loved the closet. Bathroom is small but adequate. View was awesome Note they may want to ditch the big vanity and a get a pedestal sink to add more room and character in the bathroom.

Staff was very friendly and offered to take us up in the elevator to the 3rd floor. One of the neat things about this place is the old elevator. It has to be run by a staff member, but it's creaky and cute.

I did hear voices at night and told my husband the people in the next room must have their t.v. up loud. He said he didn't hear anything. I have to wear hearing aides and didn't have them on. So he was right, but I heard conversation like whispers on and off all night...hmmmmmm. COOL.

We explored the grounds and they are really nice.

Problems we had were :. Not told us where the ice was, found out by accident reading the front desk note on the counter after they closed for the night I had run to the store to get soda (next to the ice machine by they way)
T.V is old tube style with two remotes, no instructions on which is which. There was a fan in the closet we tried to use, but the cord is too short and only one outlet available so the cord had to cut across my night stand. No WI-FI in the rooms only in the breakfast area and the library and the only table in the library was being used by a staff members child who by the way was very well behaved, but we would have like to use the table. The big banquet room was in use at the time.

The info notebook in the room had allot of fun info in it EXCEPT...a t.v. guide (maybe with instructions on how to use the remote) The menu for breakfast but not for dinner in the restaurant. Where to find the ice and soda machine...little things like that.

Minor things, but it did effect our experience. I do understand it's an old building with quirks. Few outlets are normal in a building that age. However perhaps expanding the outlet by the t.v. may be helpful so we can plug in a fan.

Room Tip: Hint the Radio Shack remote turns T.V. on and off, the other remote does everything else. Anothe...
1  Thank ElmaShannon
Reviewed 7 June 2014

We stayed at the Manresa Castle, Sunday, 6/1/2014. The Castle (Inn), is approximately .75 miles from downtown, but it is all uphill. The gardens are not kept. Exterior of the hotel looks worn.We walked-in, and I can smell stale air. The hotel has a negative chi, and the feeling is strange. We walked upstairs to the room. The bathroom reminded of a old hospital bathrooms. The bathroom was a strange dimension long and narrow. The TV did not work and the Wi-Fi did not work. The bed was uncomfortable. The cottage cheese ceiling was dirty. The carpet worn.

In the reception area, sat a young (under 20) to greet us. No uniform, jeans, T-shirt. He informed us that the Wi-Fi works downstairs, but it is inconsistent upstairs.

On the bright side, downtown was charming. Many inns for half the price.

3  Thank CML32766
Reviewed 28 May 2014

My wife picked this place out as she was going to tag along while I was there for business. Unfortunately, the boss wouldn't let her tag along, so I wound up staying there myself.
The staff was very helpful and polite.
getting to the third floor was like going through a maze the first time, but it was all part of the fun.
I like the room furnishings, but the wife wasn't as happy with them from the pictures that I sent home. The bathroom was way out of character with the more period decorations of the room.
I fell into the Book Enticement Trap that was set for guests: There was a book in the room about the sailing history of two families that wound up coming to the area, and hours later, I finally had to put it down and get some sleep so I would actually be able to function and stay awake the next day!
The bathroom had its issues, with a slow draining tub and a shower nozzle with a massive leak. I brought this to the attention of the staff as I checked out.
I actually enjoyed the breakfast the next day: I haven't had boiled eggs in ages, and gladly took the time to have a couple, and work my way through some toast and coffee.
No, the place isn't perfect, but it does have its charm and ambience.
The price was very reasonable, and was only about $20 more than a corporate owned chain.
I look forward to going back and staying there again, hopefully next time with the wife!
If there truly are any ghosts, she'll draw them out.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Tom-H98532
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Nice place, love the Victorian furnishings. Staff very helpful and friendly. nice view of the town if you get on the water side.
Brunch sunday in the restaurant was pretty horrible. Way over-seasoned potatoes, uncooked bacon, stale/moldy toast, etc.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites North Sequim
Sequim Bay Lodge
Sequim Bay Lodge
#8 of 9 in Sequim

Been to Manresa Castle? Share your experiences!