“Perfect spot for a writing retreat!”
Review of Manresa Castle

Manresa Castle
Ranked #10 of 11 Hotels in Port Townsend
Olympia
“Perfect spot for a writing retreat!”
Reviewed 1 February 2011

Manresa Castle is full of character and charm. The staff is excellent - extremely friendly and helpful. I stayed two nights, along with members from my local writing group, and the entire experience could not have been better. The restaurant was also terrific - great food! I can't wait to go back, we're planning to make it an annual event.

1 Thank Chassily

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Steilacoom, Washington
Reviewed 1 February 2011

I was part of a retreat planned by my writers group to get away to recharge and re-energize our writing and Manresa was the perfect location for that. The rooms were clean, comfortable and unique. As a writer I loved the ghost stories, and the possibility that the rooms were "haunted". I didn't see or hear a ghost but the stories added to the ambiance. The staff was kind and friendly and attentive to our needs as individuals and a group. There was space enough for us to spread out and several comfortable locations for us to enjoy cozy conversation. Manresa was the perfect location for our retreat.

Nicole

Lacey, Washington
Reviewed 1 February 2011

This was a 5 star experience. We had a suite and it was charming, and comfortable. The staff were wonderful. Prices were great. We access to larger meeting rooms.

Food is really good. Great service in the bar and restaurant.

We are planning to back to sight see. A personal trip this time with my husband and another couple.

If you want something a little different than a hotel or motel. This is a must do.

Puyallup, Wa
Reviewed 1 February 2011

I went to Manresa Castle as part of a writer's retreat and found it a very charming place to visit. We were greeted by friendly personnel, check-in was quick and easy 9as was check-out), and our suite was absolutely lovely. We really did not want for anything. They even have a lounge and a restaurant on site. I selected the wienerschinitzel (which I haven't had since my last trip to Germany) and it was quite good. Sitting in the parlor to write made me wish I wrote historical stories. I wanted to feel the swish of my skirts as I walked. As well, we had a good view of the water and were close enough to town that it only took a short drive and we were able to check out some very eclectic stores. I highly recommend the experience of a stay at Manresa Castle.
Laurie Ryan
[-]

Philipsburg, Montana
Reviewed 31 January 2011

I'm a professional author and recently had a retreat at Manresa. I have to say I absolutely adored the castle. The ambiance. The company. The staff. Everything was perfect. This quaint little castle/inn definitely lived up to the photos I've seen. The elevator was a REAL iron gated Otis (not too many of those around anymore). The drinks were great. The food divine. I've stayed at plenty of hotels and have to place Manresa at the top of my list.

I plan to stay at Manresa again and will HIGHLY recommend it to all my friends/fans.

1 Thank alliekadams
Seattle
Reviewed 30 January 2011

Beer Fest was in town the last weekend of January (which wasn't what I was there for), and Manresa Castle lived up to the reviews here. I slept like a baby (but didn't see any ghosts). I was in room 316. The hotel has a lift with the original accordion-style gate that closes you in. It must be operated by a staff member, but especially if you have kids, this is a must-do activity. Quite fun! Most of the time, though, I used the stairs. I had good wi-fi access by the window in my room, though not all rooms were as well situated. If you have an air card, you might want to bring it. Staff was very helpful, the food was good, and the dining room was hopping Friday night with live jazz. Had an awesome time and will definitely be back.

2 Thank CSDunford
Dupont, Washington
Reviewed 30 January 2011

Stayed for the weekend, as part of a group of writers holding a retreat at the hotel. Staff was helpful, friendly and highly accommodating. The room was lovely - comfortable, clean and charming, with a view of the water. Food was wonderful and the bar has great drinks - including a very tasty "Creamsicle" with the juice of fresh squeezed oranges. If you're looking for a relaxing getaway in a place that's cozy, upscale unusual and historic all at once - this is it!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Port Townsend
#1 of 1 in Port Ludlow
Fort Worden
Fort Worden
#4 of 11 in Port Townsend

Been to Manresa Castle? Share your experiences!