“Pleasant and affordable”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Port Townsend
The Waterstreet Hotel
Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Port Townsend
Seattle, Washington
“Pleasant and affordable”
Reviewed 9 April 2012 via mobile

The Waterstreet Hotel is in a neat old building. It is convienently located in the heart of town near shops, restaurants, and night spots with a 24-hr free parking next door. My room #10 was simple but fine and looked out onto the street. The bathroom had an odd step up into the toilet. I had a rare solo visit and was looking forward to a Sunday sleeping in - what a disappointment to wake up at 6:30 from the blaring tv in the room next door.

Stayed April 2012
1 Thank kinwa

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Seattle, WA
Reviewed 13 February 2012

We had room 15, third floor suite with a private deck overlooking the water. It's a beautiful view! I'm a fan of hotels in old buildings like this, and enjoyed the stay. Our room had a king size bed with a loft bed above it and another day bed so it could sleep plenty of people though we had just 2. Our room had a private bathroom which was HUGE. One of my favorite things about staying at McMenamins hotels is when they have claw foot tubs, I always take a bubble bath and our bathroom had one! The difference I found between Waterstreet and other hotels and condos we've stayed at is that it's the little things that make the difference from good to great. I'd call Waterstreet Hotel just good. They could not possibly provide a cheaper soap and shampoo. I love places that provide little soaps and such that are produced locally, but I would take nearly anything over what was provided. The table and chairs provided in a little dining area completely went against the furniture in the room. Light grain table from the 80's with the multi-colored fabric seat chairs on wheels. In a room with such beautiful dark wood furniture this just stood out like a sore thumb. There were plenty of small details that just could be changed to fine touches and the experience would increase to great. Still, I'd stay there again.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank motherlaura2
Durango, Colorado
Reviewed 23 November 2011

Great place for a family reunion! We stayed in room 5, which slept 5 and had a fireplace, lots of windows, and a balcony overlooking the water. Great location, very helpful staff.

Room Tip: Room 5 or 6 for excellent views and decks on the water.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank ugogrrl
Texas
Reviewed 21 October 2011

We loved the spacious Victorian room, and especially appreciated the kindness and helpfulness of the staff. The walk up the stairs was rewarded amply by the ambiance and we were able to view the water from our room, and the full moon on the water from the outdoor deck/balcony available to all residents. The WIFi worked great as well. We had a problem with a broken window in the car at the beginning of the trip, and the staff helped us call window contractors, etc. They also graciously let us store our stuff in the office. The location is perfect, on the water, and close to all the downtown shopping. Definitely would stay there again.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 6, which was perfect for us. This was a room with a private bath, and a partial w...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank rmpate
Yakima, Washington
Reviewed 5 August 2011

We happened upon the Waterstreet Hotel while looking for accommodations in Port Townsend.
We feel very lucky. The atmosphere was extremely relaxing...just what we needed. I had remarked that if they had WiFi I'd be in good shape, and behold they had WiFi!
Other nice touches that you won't see "on-line" is morning coffee and cable TV.
Could not have asked for more.
A very unique place...furniture is well used and so you don't feel like you can't kick back...beds were comfortable and linens were clean.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
8 Thank terrymarie
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 27 July 2011

I found the majority of the reviews posted to be spot on. My husband and I were in Port Townsend for a weekend holiday. I found the Waterstreet Hotel online and, based on the reviews, made a reservation. Our room was lovely and clean. Yes, it is true that updates would be nice, however, not necessary. We stayed in Room 8A which did not have a private bath, however, there are 2 baths for every 5 rooms and our shared bath was right across the hall from our room. The building itself is kept clean and tidy as are the rooms. We enjoyed looking in to the vacant rooms as the doors remain open if the room has not been reserved or occupied. The building and rooms keep up with the Victorian aura of the town and is right in the middle of Water Street which is the main street for shopping and dining. No need for a car as everything is within walking distance, including the Ferry Docks. The view is amazing.
The one draw back mentioned in the other reviews that I would agree with is the temperment of the owner/inn keeper, Mary. When I initially called to make the reservation, around 8:50 p.m. I was asked by her to call back in the morning after 10:00 (it appeared I had woken her up). When I called the next morning she recalled my call by stating "oh, you are the one that called me in the middle of the night". When I booked our room I asked for a confirmation number and she stated that our room number would be our confirmation number. When I asked if she would be able to send me confirmation via e-mail she responded that they did not have a computer. I nervously took a chance and booked the room and am happy that I did so, however, Mary could stand for some customer service training. Sadly, I almost didn't book based on her rudeness with our first two conversations. I was happy to see that she was much more plesant in person and had some helpful dining recomendations.
The Waterstreet Hotel, you could say, is a diamond in the rough. I would encourage you give it a go.

Room Tip: If getting a room with a shared bath, ask for one no less than one door away from your room.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Ambrose1999
USA
Reviewed 25 March 2011

The staff was very friendly and welcoming, and allowed us to check in early. The room we stayed in had a queen bed and private bathroom. It was a simple room with historic charm. The tall ceilings and windows were really neat, and the decorations were few but pleasant. The inside of the hotel is quite unique with long staircases and lots of old fashioned wood trim. The prices was very affordable and the location was great - right on the main shopping district. If ever in Port Townshend again, we will definitely stay here.

• Stayed March 2011