The Waterstreet Hotel
Aladdin Motor Inn(Port Townsend)
US$113
US$194
US$189
US$165
US$161
Bishop Victorian Hotel(Port Townsend)
Swan Hotel(Port Townsend)
  • Breakfast included
All reviewswater street hotelshared bathfaced the streetoff seasonrooms are spaciouslarge windowsup stairsno elevatorin towncharming placemain partfront desk clerkwhale watchinggas fireplacehistoric buildingno air conditioningthe ground floor
Reviewed 2 September 2013

My husband and I were just planning on a day trip to Port Townsend when we discovered this fantastic hotel. We went into the store front "just to see" how much the rooms cost, and Mary, the hotel/store proprietor, invited us to take a look upstairs at any of the open rooms and see if we were interested in staying there. All of the rooms were cozy and comfortable-looking, but we were sold on the enormous suite on the third floor. Its high ceilings, enormous windows, clawfoot tub, king-sized bed, and full kitchen made us feel right at home. It also has a deck that runs the entire length of the building where we took in the view of the sound. After we had a full evening drinking and dining along along Water Street, we came back to our room and had the best night's sleep of our entire vacation. I would have loved to have stayed there for longer and could easily imagine the suite accommodating a small family. The place has been restored but not overly so; it still maintains the feel of a Victorian hotel. Plus, it was pretty affordable. We paid around $165 for the night and I know that the smaller rooms go for a lot less. I highly recommend this place for anyone who prefers an authentic Victorian hotel experience over the conveniences of a sterile chain hotel.

Room Tip: We stayed in the suite on the third floor, which I believe is one of the largest if not the largest room in the hotel. Some of the smaller suites share bathrooms but have in-room sinks. Check out the rooms beforehand so you know what you're getting.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Susan B
Reviewed 27 August 2013

What a quaint charming authentic "back in time " hotel. The antiques, the large windows with pulled back curtains and 1800's bedspread, were part of the atmosphere. We were welcomed by a kind women who recommended a yummy cafe for breakfast. We will return to this fun place.

Room Tip: #6 was sunny
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank quigs57
Reviewed 15 June 2013

I have stayed here like a million times; have stayed at all the other hotels in Port Townsend, but always prefer this one. For one thing, the price for a Victorian hotel right on the main drag, Water St, you can't beat. The other is Mary, who runs the front desk and her cute Native American shop, which is a great place to get unique gifts. She is a doll, and a plethora of information, and will try to accommodate you and give discounts and do whatever to make your stay happy. For those who are tourists and don't understand old hotels, they have stairs, there is usually one person, maybe 2, running the place, so don't think there is a bell boy you can ring to carry up your Loius Vitton luggage and fetch fresh Perrier; it's run by ONE person that does everything, and running stairs and fetching while manning a front desk is not possible. I am tired of reviews from people that don't get that.

The other thing is, as a Victorian hotel, it is OLD, it has antiques! Billy Bob Thornton once said he had a fear, a real phobia of things that are old, that and buttoning his top button and a ton of other quirks. If you don't like old stuff, I suggest you stay at a Howard Johnson's in Anaheim and do NOT come to Port Townsend! As a Victorian seaport, everything is old and quirky, so don 't think there is a sleek resort to hide from it; we like it that way!

If you DO like old stuff, this is the best, most charming and cheap location you can get. I have stayed in virtually every room, we prefer the ones with the bathroom down the hall [gasp!] because it saves money, but there are rooms that can accommodate whole families, so ask and call ahead. The other thing is, as a tourist town, it gets busy, rooms get booked. There have been loads of times I didn't call Mary and make a reservation and she was booked, I didn't get mad, she lovingly called elsewhere. ALL the hotels in downtown have [gasp!] stairs! That's how they used to build them, above shop fronts, when people were fit and even ladies in corsets and men in top hats could manage to walk up them with their luggage a 100 years ago. People getting out of shape and spoiled has made that such a shocker, but I have stayed there long term and relished the chance to get in shape with the stairs, even take in a jog afterwards.

There are shops and restaurants just outside the door. The iconic pub where Officer and Gentlemen is gone, but the space where they did the fight scene is right outside the door. I used to stay above the bar, in room 9, I think it is, the one with the 2 beds that is great if you have kids, and got a discount back in the day because of the noise of the bar. Now there is a lovely, posh gift shop, that is very quiet downstairs.

So, if you want a REAL Victorian hotel, with really nice staff and a really great location for a GREAT price, then come, call ahead, arrange the kind of room you want! If I read one more review in this town about hotels and I read the word 'old', 'lug', 'stairs' I am going to scream! This is NOT Disneyland folks! This town was built as the next San Francisco, that's why there are mansions and great architecture. The railroad never came, so it has been an artists haven and entrepreneurs dream, plus it is on the water with amazing views. So if that's what you want to see and experience, then this hotel has the best price, service and location for getaway.

Room Tip: I believe it is room 9, the one with 2 beds, that everyone wants. It is very large and great value for the money.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Lisa W
Reviewed 31 May 2013

The hotel is really pretty and has a lot of historical charm.
However, while the employees are friendly, they are not as accommodating as some other hotels I have been to. I was traveling with a work partner and to save money we decided to share a room. The room with two beds was booked so we had to take a room with a bed and a futon. We were told that we could use a trifold on the futon to make it more comfortable. Upon arrival the desk clerk was completely unaware of this discussion and later that night left the bed things they were to provide in a pile outside our hotel room door. The futon was in pretty bad shape. (even sitting in it you could feel the metal bars), so my partner chose to put the tri-fold on the floor. The room was decently priced... but not cheap enough to have one guest sleeping on the floor.
In the end I realized that since this is not your typical hotel with cookie cutter rooms that we should have called earlier to book the only room with 2 beds. We got to peek at some of the other (more costly) rooms, which seemed pretty nice. I would definitely recommend them to families that are looking for a place to stay on vacation.
Overall, it was a unique and fun experience staying at the Waterstreet, but it may not be for everybody. As long as you are willing to be a little patient and understanding, it is in a really neat location next to lots of food, shopping and the beach!

Room Tip: None of these rooms are exactly the same. You can go on the Waterstreet website and view the rooms to see which one is best for you. I would recommend doing this early so you can reserve the room that is best for you before it is gone!
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Cindy H
Reviewed 10 May 2013

Before getting our room at the Waterstreet Hotel, my wife and I looked at rooms at almost all of the other hotels and a few of the bed and breakfasts in PT. The room wasn't the best but it wasn't bad. The rate was the best by far and you can't beat the location. If you want a modern, fancy hotel this isn't for you. If you can handle rustic and want to be transported back to the 18th century then this is the place for you.

Mary at the front desk is as nice as can be.

For breakfast try the Blue Moose which is about a mile south.

By the way this is the place where they filmed the bar, fight scene on the street in front of this hotel from "An Officer and a Gentleman". Fort Worden is just to the north and looks the same as it did in the movie.

What a cool town.

Room Tip: Some rooms have newer beds so check the room first.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple