“Quirky, but we love it”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Port Townsend
The Waterstreet Hotel
Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Port Townsend
Reviewed 28 August 2014

Disclosure: our stay was in Feb 2012, but tripadvisor doesn't allow me to record that as the date of our stay.

My wife and I love staying here when we visit Port Townsend. The stairs are creaky, the bathroom is down the hall from the room, the wooden door to our room has small cracks in it, but it's clean and charming. In fact, if you don't like charming old houses, this isn't the place for you. On the other hand, if you value old buildings that reflect the personality their era and enjoy being surrounded by old woodwork/craftsmanship and the smell of freshly oiled stair banisters you may love this place as much as my wife and I do.

Note: this place fills up fast (and early) during local events, so book early -- for instance, it's booked a full year in advance of Strange Brewfest.

Room Tip: Try to get one of the rooms on the "water" side of the hotel -- you'll pay more, but i...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Darren C

Reviewed 19 August 2014

This hotel was located within walking distance of a whale-watching tour that we were going on, as well a lot of places to go eat. Bathrooms are shared, and the rooms have sinks. Parking is on the street, or in a little lot next to the hotel. There isn't air conditioning, but it doesn't get hot (at least not compared to Houston), so with the windows open it was just fine.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Donald L
Reviewed 18 August 2014

For me the place is old and tired. A friend also staying there at the same time said you could call it a place with character. The ceilings are high, fifteen feet or so, the room is huge, the curtains are thin letting the light and noise in. The room included a kitchen with a 4 burner stove. The bathroom was about thirty feet down the hall from the bed. The soap in the shower was 1" x 1.5" x .2', very tiny or petite..... I would look for other choices rather than returning.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 August 2014

I have to start by saying that the front desk lady (who never introduces herself by name, I think its Betsy or Bettythe one time she mentioned it) is one of the worst people i have ever encountered in this industry. She does not care about her guest and is just plain rude.

A friend of mine had accidentally left her phone at the hotel and needed it mailed to her immediately. We checked out on a Tuesday and by Thursday i had no word so i called the hotel. She told me she gave the phone to her boss and she left for California the day before. She had no idea what happened to it and she said she was busy and hung up before i could say anything else. I found her attitude utterly disgusting to say the least. The place is old and not cared for that well. I will never be staying there again.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Neetu80
Reviewed 11 August 2014

We had a big family group stay here in all types of rooms. The crown jewel was suite 15 - huge space with extra loft bed, fireplace, and a wonderful private deck with porch swing and a gorgeous view of the water. That room alone I'd give 5 stars. Kids and adults loved it. The other rooms are a little less glam, but perfectly nice. Clean, quiet and very reasonably priced. Great location, right downtown. One caution - there are some fairly serious stairs. But we had people aged 5 to 65 and all managed it fine. Very friendly and accommodating service.

Room Tip: Suite 15 is a stunner!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank lilnysh
Reviewed 8 August 2014

We really enjoyed staying here. It's an old building so don't expect anything new. We had suite 5, which was really large and had a full kitchen. It had a very large balcony that overlooked the water. The night we stayed there was a live band about 1/2 block away and we enjoyed the music from the balcony. Our suite had a private bathroom, but some of the rooms don't. Be sure to check that out when you make a reservation so you don't have to share a bathroom if you don't want to. The staff was very friendly. Suite 5 has a funky loft bed. My kids loved sleeping in it, but a grown-up might not like it so much. The location is great. It's right downtown. The only problem is parking. They only have street parking and on Thursday nights (in the summer) they have live music so we couldn't find a spot close to the hotel. We parked several blocks away and then moved our car closer after the music was finished and most people left the area. I would love to stay here again!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Port Townsend is full of old Victorian houses and charm galore. Don't plan to spend the night if you need things new, spotless and modern. That said, the Waterstreet Hotel is in the midst of town. Staff is friendly and helpful. We had room 19 which is a suite on the 3rd floor with a kitchen. The gulls shriek in the morning, but hey, it adds to the ambience. A deer walked down the block outside our window at 8:30 in the morning. Okay, the place is a bit dusty. I almost had to go out and buy a bottle of Old English to brighten up the woodwork in our room. But I'd definitely stay there again. The pluses outweigh the negatives.

Room Tip: Some rooms have bathrooms down the hall. Check carefully when booking.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple