“Mary” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Waterstreet Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Port Townsend
The Waterstreet Hotel
Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Port Townsend
Seattle
“Mary”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2009

This is such a beautiful place to stay............for years our friends and family have stayed here.........the noise of the bar is not a problem....we have stayed on the second and third floors, and in just about every room and have enjoyed the atmosphere, the history....the help. Until MARY.....she has made all of us feel unwelcome, has been very rude and sarcastic......we are very quiet and clean.......( we are teachers) as beautiful as it is, we will not be back.......I hope the owners know what they have running their hotel.......it's a shame.

• Stayed January 2008, travelled with friends
3 Thank getridofmary

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2009

We ended up staying here on a whim. Thought the place looked neat and only popped in to see what the rates were out of curiosity and after we looked at room #5 couldn't pass it up.
The room was incredible. Spacious, comfortable and quaint with an outstanding view of the Sound from out private porch with our very own swing.

The last evening of vacation looked like we had hit a grand slam as my significant other and I snuggled up on the porch swing and watched and watched the water slowly slip into darkness. That's exactly when the volume started to go up outside as patrons for the brewpub started showing up and yelling to each other from across the block.

We finally decided to go inside when a pickup with a gas grill in the back showed up to cook that evening's special. Each time the guy came out to throw another rack of lamb on the grill he was joined by a gaggle of very loud, half drunk friends who felt the need to yell at each other at the top of their lungs from just feet away.

Still once we went inside and closed the windows the noise abated but it was kind of annoying to be forced back inside for the amount of money we payed ($125 plus tax). The room cancelled out all the regular restaurant noise so that became a non issue.

The room was spacious, actually way too big for the two of us but we were sold on the view. You could easily fit a good sized family in there with the loft bed and daybed. The kitchen was a real budget saver. Like I said the room sold me.

But back to the bar. We didn't experience any live music on a Wednesday night in the off season. Still, at about 1:30am I was awoke by the sound of a gas engine running at top speed and a pressure washer blasting away right below my windows. I staggered around for a minute trying to figure out what was happening before I found some clothes to put on to go find the resident manager. Good luck on that. I called from the phone in the hall with no answer and found the door and knocked with no answer. While I was out I found the doorway to the fire escape had been blocked open as well as the door to the street wasn't closed.

So I guess what it all boils down to is what you are OK with. The place was awesome to look at and the rooms were incredible. If you were part of the crowd in the pub it wouldn't bother you but if you like some peace an quiet this place isn't for you. And their lassiez faire attitude about security of their guest was a real problem for me. There were other hotels in historic building that didn't seem to have the same hurdles as the Water Street.

LOL I am struck by the fact that I rated the Hotel overall as average and yet in three of the categories I hit it with 5 stars. Just goes to show you that there sometimes is an intangible that really hurts you.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank FmlyTrvllr
Lincoln City, Oregon
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2009

The halls are dimly lighted, dificult to see key lock, reserved room not available, given higher priced room with a tree for a view, above the LOUD MUSIC,reverly of the pub below,dimly lighted bathroom with narrow step up and into corner shower. I can't think of a reason to stay again- well the sheets and towels were clean. Charges on credit card higher than signed reciept.
Anne K.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled solo
2 Thank CoastalAnne

Travellers are raving about these Port Townsend hotels

seattle wa
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2009

My Girlfriends and I chose this hotel for the location to spend our yearly 2 day retreat relaxing and enjoying the last gasp of summer. When the room was booked we were told that their could be some noise from the restaurant below since it was a holiday weekend.
We expected loud voices, clinking plates etc. We did NOT EXPECT A BAND SO LOUD THE GLASS IN THE WINDOWS RATTLED IN TIME WITH THE MUSIC WHICH WENT ON PAST MIDNIGHT. When we called downstairs to ask if we could move rooms they were full. But they offered us EARPLUGS! And when I said this was unacceptable they started arguing with me that we knew that it would be loud in our room!
I said she told me about restraunt noise. NOT STANDING IN FRONT OF A BAND TRYING TO SLEEP NOISE and that I wanted a refund an we'd be checking out in the morning. In the end we got the ear plugs and tried to sleep. But the next morning we
left a letter with the owner, my refund for the next night and a vow from all of us to never stay their again... we headed home that day since we could not find another place to stay. A great weekend ruined

• Stayed September 2009
1 Thank adventuresrme
Tacoma, WA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2009

The service was decent, but on a mostly-empty weekend, we were unable to stay in the same room for the duration of a long weekend. They make all the reservations in an actual ledger, so flexibility is minimal.
The rooms are spacious, with adequate furnishings. If you plan on staying here, you'd better sleep with earplugs. It is above a great bar that hosts live music often. But it's an older building, so even the third floor rooms were noisy. In the summer, there are minimal fans available (we "borrowed" one from the hallway) to cool off the rooms, which can get very muggy, especially on the third floor. And the stairs are not for the weak of heart. All rooms are on at least the second floor, and it's a steep flight to get there.
For a budget traveler who has to be downtown, it's fine. But I'm fairly certain that you can find better accommodations for the same price a few blocks off the main drag. Also, the parking is whatever is available along the street.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Washington
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2009

We booked a room at the Waterstreet based on the many wonderful reviews on tripadvisor, but we were disappointed. We stayed in room 16 which has a kitchen and a master bedroom with queen bed for us and two trundle beds in the livingroom for the kids. My husband and I ended up sleeping in the twin trundles with the kids because the queen bed was so horribly uncomfortable. The furniture was mismatched and shabby. The dressers had drawers that stuck and were hard to use. The chair was wobbly and leaning and unuseable. The building is old and and beautiful, but there was absolutly no thought given to decorating this room. Each room had one ugly picture on the wall and there are plenty of old mirrors. It would have looked lovely if they had decorated the room in a victorian style to match the archetecture, but instead, it just looked tossed together like everything was found at a yard sale or thrift store. Dont expect any personal touches.
The room sleeps 6 but only had enough silverware for 4. The kitchen is not stocked very well. We found one pan and a small pot to cook with and burned or broken cooking tools. We had to go out and buy our own pot and extra fork so we could eat together. (we left the pot behind so someone else can use it) Also, there was a terrible smell that wafted in and out of the room the entire weekend. We're not sure where it was coming from as it would drift away when we were looking for the source. It smelled like sewer. The tv was so old, we had to go buy a converter so we could plug the kids game system into it. Also, I think the place may be especially dusty or moldy. I have allergies and am especially sensitive to dust and mold. I was miserable with the runny nose and itchy eyes every minute I was in the room but cleared up some when I went out. I didn't see any dust or mold, but something was bothering my allergies.

I couldnt believe this hotel had so many positive reviews with its shoddy furniture and lack of decorating until one day, we went looking at the other rooms after check out time when many of the rooms were opened to be cleaned. Rooms 15 and 5 are beautiful and have reasonably comfortable beds and a view (unlike ours with a view of a building) Some of the other rooms were nice too, but I dont remember their numbers. I would say that room 16 is the worst one. I would have given the hotel less stars if I hadnt seen the other nicer rooms. If you stay here, make sure you dont get room 16. I couldnt wait to leave. We wont be back. Oh, and they do not have dedicated parking. If you can get a spot in the 24 hour parking that's the best you can do. Otherwise, you have to park in the 2 hour zone and move your car every two hours.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Oceanfinder
Seattle
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2009

We stayed in room 16 on the third floor, the second set of stairs look as if they are about to fall off the wall. The front windows of this room have Plexiglas over them, the beds were either rock hard or very warn out.
The furnishings seem to have been thrift store finds or maybe alley way treasure, the chair in the main room was unusable (for fear it would break) none of the furniture really matched. This room could sleep 6 but the table only seats 4. This room has a kitchen, the refrigerator smells horrible, the flat ware is cheap and the plate don't even match, to top it off it is only a set for 4 persons, we have a family of 5 . The cookware is SERIOUSLY lacking 1 10" pan and a 1qt pot cooking utensils look like they are garage sale throwaways. The room was "clean" other than the cobwebs in the corners. The master bed room had a hole in the window sill that let cold air in, I understand this building was built in 1889, and maybe they are still working on it, everything just felt as if very little effort was put into it, this place could be AMAZING, but unfortunately it fell flat.

Bottom line, for the price you could find something better.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family