“What a find!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Port Townsend
The Commander's Beach House
Ranked #2 of 16 Port Townsend B&B and Inns
“What a find!”
Reviewed 20 June 2014

We recently made a great B&B find during our first Olympic Peninsula vacation. We wanted to be on the water or at least have a view and discovered that wasn't going to be easy until we found the Commander's Beach House. It is the only B&B in the area located directly on the beach looking out at the shipping lane.

Our room, the B&B's porch and back yard had an unobstructed view across the water of Mt. Baker and Whidbey, Island. We sat in a swing in the B&B's back yard and watched the ships come in from the Pacific ocean on their way to Bremerton and Seattle. The ferry boat came into view every hour. At night you can see the light on the Point Wilson lighthouse at Fort Worden. You can even hear waves.

Our room was extremely comfortable as was the entire house. Breakfast was great. We learned that they use fresh, locally grown ingedients for the meal.

The beach was a real surprize as it was sandy and easily accessable from the B&B back yard--maybe a hundred feet or so- with no steps to worry about. Some of the other guests hiked the beach to Ft. Worden.

We barely used our rental car because Waterstreet, the center of town, is easy walking distance with several great restaurants.

The owners were very friendly and helpful and seemed to know everyone in town and the best restaurants. We had no idea we should have ferry reservations to get to Whidbey Island until they told us. They saved us that day for sure.

We definitely plan on coming back on our next trip.

Room Tip: We had a room with a view of the water. I think there are a few with the same view, but from what we...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Cathy C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
Washington, D.C.
Reviewed 16 June 2014

First of all, this place is in the middle of an rv park. Second, it is so cluttered that I was afraid to put anything down for fear it would vanish in the heaps of stuff. Third, it is very much a private home (the way b&b's used to be!); some may like this--I don't. The owners were very nice, but the whole place creeped me out. We left before breakfast.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank arbeedc
Olympia, Washington
Reviewed 6 June 2014

My family and I went to Port Townsend last weekend and stayed two nights in the Lighthouse Suite of CBH, which we absolutely loved! I really hope to go there again! Our suite had two bedrooms and a bathroom, perfect for the three of us, and was amply supplied with everything from bathrobes to bath salts. I felt totally pampered the whole time! Also, the breakfasts were undoubtedly the best I've ever had at a B&B. Really, really good food! The hosts were friendly and welcoming, the view of the ocean was superb, the location was quiet and convenient, the decorations were cute and comforting; I don't know what I could possibly complain about!

Room Tip: The Lighthouse Suite is excellent for groups of three, and also has a lovely view of the water.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Laura B
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 4 June 2014

My friend & I decided to get out of town for a day & chose The Commanders Beach House as our destination. We stayed in the Lighthouse Suite. The view from the windows was gorgeous! Jim was very attentive to our needs & very fun to be around. Gayle keeps an immaculate house & the sweetest garden.. They accommodated my fussy food allergies & actually made the gluten, dairy & egg free muffins taste heavenly- I ate two. :). The smell of creosote was detectable but not a big nuisance. It smelled like a maritime house should, along with salt water & beach. It was an amazing albeit too short of a stay. We will definitely be back. This B&B is highly recommended as is having a meal at Docs down the block.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank NWsunflower
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 3 June 2014

We loved the friendly proprietors, the stunning location, and the great breakfasts. Not often you stay at a place where you want to just sit and relax with tranquil views. Great place to relax! Will definitely return.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Tacoma, Washington
Reviewed 14 May 2014

We have stayed in several Port Townsend B and B's, and The Commander's Beach House is hands-down our favorite. It is in a quiet location, yet only minutes walk to the restaurants and shops of downtown. Placed right by the beach, it offers great views of water and mountains, including Mt. Baker. In clement weather, a glass of wine or dram of whiskey can be enjoyed in one of the Adirondack chairs on the lawn while eavesdropping on gulls and sea lions. Jim and Gail are warm and gracious hosts and they serve delicious breakfasts. We stayed in the cozy Schooner room, where we were lulled through the night by the sound of waves slapping the shore. What's not to like at The Commander's? Nothing. Go!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jwhorton
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 13 May 2014

So very warm and inviting. If you are looking to get away from it all, THIS IS THE PLACE. CBH is perfectly situated on a beautiful stretch of beach and my room - the Schooner - had an exceptional view of the Sound. Plus the weather in Seattle/Port Townsend was glorious for three days! Gail and Jim welcomed me as a friend, not as a customer. The difference was noticeable and appreciated. I've traveled extensively - domestically and internationally for both personal and professional purposes. THEIR HOSPITALITY IS UNMATCHED! My only regret is that I just discovered this gem of a B&B and may not be able to work out a second trip this summer. Book now! Their rooms go fast! Thank you, Gail, for the scrumptious breakfast: Asian pears with blue cheese, apple streudel french toast, chicken sausage, bottomless hot coffee. Thank you, Jim, for recognizing me in town that evening, even when I didn't recognize you. (Time to get my glasses fixed.) Here's to a beautiful new friendship!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo