“Gorgeously restored in every detail ...loved it!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Port Townsend
Ann Starrett Mansion Boutique Hotel
Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Port Townsend
Reviewed 20 September 2011

This beautiful Victorian mansion exceeded our expectations. There is nothing seedy or dowdy about it, and the place is immaculate. It is like stepping back into another era. Everything has beeen lovingly preserved, and the architecture is most interesting. Views of the water and walking distance to town. It is true that it isn't the "wine and cheese" kind of service, but if you want a lovely place to stay, this is it. Well worth a stay.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are lovely and unique. Rooms on the second floor are classic. The two bedroom dor...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends

Reviewed 13 July 2010

We stayed 1 night and I would have to agree with most reviews that say this place is not in good repair, decor or the typical B&B or Inn experience. You are made to feel unwelcome and not to bother the inn keeper who is very synical. We were given no tour of the house, no coffee or teas and not felt welcome to hang around in the house. The linens smelled like old dirty mildew or a 2nd hand store odar. I have stayed in over 50 B&B's and love old homes. I thouht this house had such great potential. The staircase is beautiful and I am sure it was a great B&B years ago but there isn't even decent coffee in the room now. It is for sale and I think the town is failing as well. I couldn't get a straigt answer from anyone where a good place to eat was. We ended up feeling like we were taking our chances wherever we went. The town and hotel was creepy, and I love victorians, so this is an odd statement for me to make. In fact my dream is to own one, so there is something wrong in my opinion with this place. I would not return or refer anyone to stay here. We left at 7am as soon as morning hit. I too hope someone buys this home that will restore it back to its former beautiful state.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
5  Thank victorianhouselover
Reviewed 2 January 2010

I called to inquire about availability and rooms for the Jan 2/3 weekend. "Richard" answered the phone and told me the hotel was completely empty. Their website had a Web Special of "PAY FIRST NIGHT & SECOND NIGHT IS FREE!" (Most hotels in PT have a 2night special during the Off Season where you pay for 1 night at the On-Season rate and the second night is free.) The highest On-Season rate for their nicest room was quoted as $175+tax. When I asked about the 2-night special I was told it was $198+tax. I asked why it wasn't $175+tax. "Because the 2-night special is $198" was the answer. I pointed out that their advertised On-season rate is $175. I was met with silence. I conferred with my wife for a moment and figured for $23 more it was still worth it, so I said, "Fine, I'll take it!" To which the response was, "Thank you, bye bye [he hung up the phone]"

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
6  Thank kermynator
solarcalendar, Owner at Ann Starrett Mansion Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 December 2011

We do not take bookings one year ahead since we require a deposit we always ask our prospective guests to call back in December in particular when the prospective guest is not sure herself.

Reviewed 13 July 2009

Our stay at the Ann Starrett Hotel was a nightmare. From the initial "greeting" to the dirty room it was nothing as advertised. The moment we entered the hotel the manager was rude, unhelpful and disinterested in us. We had made reservations at the Ann Starrett weeks prior to our trip because we were assured that the hotel was pet friendly. Upon arrival we were told that dogs ( she is a whole 20lbs.) were not welcome in the hotel. Our room was dirty and lacked any of the amenities one would expect. I understand that the home has an interesting history but we were not offerred any information or tour, in fact we were made to feel most unwanted.
For a hotel asking 4 star prices they offerred 1/2 star service and facilities.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Sittingback
Reviewed 2 April 2009

Overall I would say that yes, this is a pretty lovely place to stay. The location is very nice, in a quiet neighborhood, but just a short walk into town.
During our stay we seemed to have kept "off" hours from the rest of the guests, so we didn't have a chance to interact much with the staff. We came back to the house after dinner around 10pm and found the entire house already asleep. The door makes a lot of noise when you enter so I always felt like I was waking people up. We woke at about 10am and also found the place to be empty.
My husband and I stayed in the DRAWING ROOM, which is on the second floor (literally the top of the staircase) and here is my problem with this place - the "door" to the room felt more like a screen. I understand it is an old home and modified to be a B&B, but just be aware that when you are in your room you can hear EVERYTHING going on in the hall (and vice versa). It felt like we didn't have a door at all. It was a very thin piece of wood with a huge gap. Also, we were woken up by those early birds as they walked by our door and went down the stairs.

The bathtub is actually IN the room, not separate, which is fine - just be aware. The toilet was housed in the smallest space possible, not for those who are claustrophobic! Seriously - teeny tiny! You can't turn around and I'm small!

In the end we laughed these things off and had a fine time, but I wish we would have had another room.

• Stayed: February 2007, travelled as a couple
3  Thank megdes
Reviewed 11 March 2008

We stayed in the carriage suite. Be warned that the carriage house rooms are acutally in the basement! The room was a tacky mix of garage sale furniture & craft shop bric a brac. The bed and pillows, however, were very comfortable. They have the worst coffe ever! The public areas of the house were extremely cold and drafty, so it wasn't comfortable enough to enjoy the fire in the beautiful sitting room. These areas are decorated in very authentic Victorian decor with gorgeous architectural features in the background. I LOVE the chandeliers. You can't beat the location - just blocks to the Uptown Disctrict's shops and restaraunts, and a quick walk downtown. The innkeeper was pleasant enough, too. I would say that it was not bad for the money, but this place has definitely seen better days. It is quite a spectacular house, it must be very difficult to maintain. The house is currently for sale. I hope the next owner will invest in the home and restore the old gal back to the glory she deserves.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
2  Thank Aurorakat
Reviewed 7 January 2008

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Ann Starrett Mansion last December for New Years. I have never been so scared in my life. We stayed in the Master's Suite on the second floor of the mansion. The first night that we stayed there we went to bed around midnight. I had an uneasy felling about the place so I left the lamp on the bedside table on all night. At 3:15 I woke up completely drenched in sweat. There was no heat on in the room and my boyfriend was a normal temperature. I am not prone to sweating a lot so this was very odd to me. I could not fall back asleep until about 7am. The next evening, New Year's Eve, I had the brilliant plan to drink more champagne than normal so I would go right to sleep and not wake up in the middle of the night. We went to bed arould 1am and again, at 3:15 I awoke drenched in sweat. I was up for about 2 hours listening to the wind and noises in the house when suddenly the armoire across the room from the bed began to shake and rattle violently. I screamed and my boyfriend woke up just in time to witness the armoire door opening on its own. The armoire door had a handle and was not the type of door that could just swing open. It had to be "opened". Needless to say I had another sleepless night. It is a beautiful mansion but I would never stay there again.

2  Thank Bella-Seattle