“Disappointing & Expen$ive”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Qualicum Beach, Canada
“Disappointing & Expen$ive”
Reviewed 21 August 2012

This hotel is a former Holiday Inn Express that has recently been converted to a GuestHouse Inn. My wife and I stayed here for 4 nights in August 2012. Although the property and room were clean, the whole place could use some updating, including some soundproofing. We were located in a king-bed room with jacuzzi tub on the ground floor. We had a difficult time sleeping due to the sounds coming from the rooms above us. We could hear every step anyone made, the sounds of their tv, air conditioner, tub filling with water, shower running, toilets flushing ... we may as well been in the room with them.The jacuzzi tub we had was very dated and noisy. The bed was soft and the carpets worn. We also found no where to sit when waiting outside for our ride. No bench to be found anywhere. The free breakfast was okay, but they frequently ran out of food items. We found the price to stay here was way too high for the amenities provided, so we will NOT stay here again.

Room Tip: Whatever you do, stay on the top floor to avoid hearing noises from those above you.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Keith N
MicahKim, General Manager at GuestHouse Inn & Suites Poulsbo, responded to this review, 19 September 2012
I'm so sorry you had a dissapointing stay. I appreciate all comments by guests, good or bad.... Reviews from guests are a true gauge for an excellent hotel service we are striving for everyday! Again, sorry you had lots of noise issues as hotel was very busy during your visit with multiple groups in house and unfortunately the jetted tubs do make noise when its on. However, we do have restictions on them as guests are not allowed to use the jetted tubs past 10pm so hopefully that wasn't the case.
Rates in Summer does increase quite a bit, especially the weekends in Summer, due to multiple events in the area so please try us again in the offseason for a great value at our hotel!
As far as any seating areas outside, our hotel does have a bench outside by the entrance, as well as many seating areas in our quaint courtyard. It's possible that some guests might not locate any seating area but we do in fact have a bench near the main entrance, but is just around the corner from the main lobby. Thank you for your input and we hope you can try us out again if you're in our area!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Reviewed 19 August 2012

Smash mouth was staying at the hotel when I was there. Very cool! Really excited to see some of the band members hanging out in the lobby at the same time... hotel was nicely updated and had great service from all staff members, will stay here again for sure!

• Stayed August 2012
2 Thank feniereyes
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 13 August 2012

I stayed here last Wednesday and Thursday for Smash mouth concert but I had stayed here before for business. It was a Holiday Inn Express before but changed to Guest House Inn. They still provide the same good services and rooms are still clean but prices are lower. I would definitely stay here again next time.

Room Tip: just request the room type you want in advance. They were willing to work with me.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank GaH60878
Milpitas, California
Reviewed 2 July 2012

Hotel was a solid three star, not luxurious but worth the price. Room was nice but had two double beds, prefer queen size or larger. Room was nicely furnished, only minor complaint room not sound proof, could hear the person in the next room snoring. Breakfast was better than expected, only comment is prefer more fruit as only bananas were available. But again the hotel is worth the price paid. Took City bus to ferry from near hotel, worked out well, less than 5 minute walk to bus stop. (cheaper to take bus than to park at ferry terminal even for two of us)

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank alolewis
Whidbey Island, Washington
Reviewed 1 July 2012

Nice, updated, and clean hotel and room for reasonable price. Great, friendly service. Convenient location. Great cookies! Comfortable bed. Only thing that would make this room better is a more comfortable sitting chair - only chairs available were dinette chairs with no arms, and a desk chair.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Beachwatcher14
Puyallup, Washington
Reviewed 18 June 2012

I would definitely stay here again. I like to stay in rooms where you enter from inside the hotel and not outside, which this is. The staff at the front desk are so friendly and helpful. They always had fresh baked cookies and they offered a little stuffed toy to my 1 year old son. The room I booked was very small, but was all that was available as it was pretty packed when I went due to weddings and graduation events. Although it was small it fit me, my husband and our son. We had previously requested a crib and I wasn’t sure if they would have one, but they did. They even asked whether we had a boy or a girl so that when the crib arrived the sheets and blankets were blue. I thought that was special. The only problem I had in our room was the shower. You had to turn it opposite of what it says and the shower head sprayed a little funny so the pressure wasn’t the greatest. Not a big deal at all. The location is great. Not very far from the main street. They are close to a couple fast food joints and a nice restaurant across the street called Taprock Grill, which I really enjoyed. The FREE breakfast was wonderful. They had hot water for oatmeal, coffee, juices, bananas, yogurt, fresh hot cinnamon rolls, bagels, bread, muffins, croissants, pastries and English muffins. We stayed two nights and the first morning they had bacon and scrambled eggs, the second morning they had sausage patties and cheese omelets. The food was always refilled so you never had to wait long. In fact, the second day we were there the place was packed and some people were even taking trays of food up to their rooms. I thought there wouldn’t be much food left, but the staff kept it filled the whole time. I had no problems at all. I never heard any doors slamming, the only thing I heard was the icemaker, but that was because our room was right by it. Other than that, no problems. I would highly recommend staying at Guesthouse International.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank disue5
Foster City, California
Reviewed 8 May 2012

Stayed here last weekend while driving up to Canada. I was initially looking for Holiday Inn as I didnt realize there have been a change. It's located in a convenient location, close to small shops and restaurant. We were greeted with very friendly front desk. Room was nice and clean, Parking was abundant and spacious. I did not expect to see a flat screen TV and free WiFi but it was definitely a luxury that I fully took advantage of. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank Jake1978
Also consider these accommodations in or near Poulsbo
Poulsbo Inn
Poulsbo Inn
#2 of 2 in Poulsbo
Best Western Plus Silverdale Beach Hotel
Oxford Suites Silverdale
Oxford Suites Silverdale
#1 of 6 in Silverdale
Best Western Plus Bainbridge Island Suites
Best Western Plus Bainbridge Isl...
#1 of 5 in Bainbridge Island
Flagship Inn
Flagship Inn
#3 of 8 in Bremerton
Baymont Inn & Suites Bremerton WA

Been to GuestHouse Inn & Suites Poulsbo? Share your experiences!