“Falls Short” 3 of 5 bubbles

Good for: Child-friendly
Bainbridge Island, Washington, United States
“Falls Short”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2014

First the disclaimer - let me say we cook and eat Italian, we've eaten Italian in Chicago, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Italy. For most this is a good value and a good meal.
Pro's = the house (red) wine was much better than one would expect. the salad was fresh and delicious, the bread was a bit bland but good. Olive oil and balsamic is on the table. Serving sizes are generous. Service was good, staff was friendly. Prices reasonable. Good views of water across from parking. Definitely has an old style Italian charm to it.
Con's = The Chicken Parmesan was disappointing. The chicken was tough, as though it was frozen and not thawed properly before cooking therefore making the meat much tougher than it should have been. The pasta with Bolognese was heavy on wine, tasting burnt. Not sure of the meat that was used but there was no flavor of beef, pork perhaps because of the overpowering burnt wine taste. No taste of sage, or fresh crushed tomato. Now recipes can vary (southern vs. northern) but this was disappointing. I will add I have a very strong sense of smell and taste therefore much more sensitive to flavors than others.
If you have picky eaters and go with something basic it may be a good choice. Looks like the reviews they post upon entering are a bit old, this place can have great potential if they hit the rest of the marks, entrees fall short but we only had two and can not speak to the remainder of the menu. I will add we decided to forego dessert in anticipation it would be disappointing based on the entrees.

• Visited March 2014

North Platte, Nebraska
“Great food; decent $; friendly staff.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2014

Lots of food choices, and it's delicious! Decent prices and friendly staff. Wonderful decor I won't describe here because you just need to go see it and experience it yourself. Great job, folks!

• Visited February 2014
Rainier, Oregon
“Filling lunch”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2013

After touring around Poulsbo, WA we went for a late lunch to this restaurant. We were politely greeted and seated immediately. For late afternoon, the place was fairly busy. It is located looking towards the water and the park. We had a great view from our table to enjoy the sunshine coming in, I was shocked at the size of my meatball sandwich served with some interesting pickled vegetables. There was no way I would be able to eat all of the dish. My husband had the Philly sandwich which was just as loaded. Great value and excellent flavor.

• Visited December 2013
Arlington, Virginia
“Guess I made a bad choice”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2013

I had the Caramalized Onion and Gorgonzola Pizza. I thought the combination sounded great. But it was so sweet ... not good. When leaving, I asked and found out that there is a lot of honey in the carmalized onions. That's not the way I would do it, and honey was not listed in the ingredients. So, while I might try a proper carmalized onion and gorgonzola pizza at home - not here.

• Visited October 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Tours, France
“Everyone has a favorite”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2013

We have been coming here for years, and love the familiar feel, warm greeting, good service, good food and good wine. I will say that we aren't really fair to the menu, because we each have favorites that we want to order every time -- roasted garlic appetizer, veal piccatta, spinach pesto pizza, linguine marinara, Anaheim chili penne, always a Caesar salad, spumoni ice cream if we aren't too full already. Every once in a while, we'll go to another place in Poulsbo, but always return to That's a Some Italian because it is the best. If you are looking for tiny portions, loud music, "artistic" food towers and pretentious presentation, don't come here. This is more like eating at grandma's, if your grandma was a good Italian cook and was happy to feed you.

• Visited October 2013