“Fine dining on the Palouse” 5 of 5 bubbles

Swilly's Pony Bar & Bistro
Price range: US$8 - US$26
Cuisines: American, Mediterranean
Good for: Groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Hong Kong
“Fine dining on the Palouse”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2014

WOW. I am still in shock and its four months later. I went here for a family birthday party with vegetarians, vegans and meat eaters and everyone was beyond satisfied.The interior was lovely - the art was interesting and added to the experience. The staff was professional, helpful and friendly; the waiter provided a sample of a sauce. There was also a great vegetarian chili. This would be a great place for a romantic evening ;) I probably wouldn't go here alone though :(

• Visited August 2013

Ellensburg, Washington
“Classy and Delicious”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2013

We met some family members there and had lunch on a Saturday afternoon. Good choice! Not too many other people. Great service- try the fizzy lemon soda they make in house. The Mediterranean plate appetizer was delicious, though the server told us they wouldn't charge us for it because the kitchen thought they had made it too spicy. Nope, it was delicious.
My salmon salad was terrific, and every other dish was eaten down to the last crumb. It's an expensive place but worth it for special occasions and a fun afternoon out.

• Visited November 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Spokane, Washington
“overpriced and noisy”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2013

Swilly's came highly recommended and I was disappointed. Although reservations were made in advance, we were placed close to the door and in cramped conditions. Noise levels in the room made it impossible to hold a conversation without elevating our voices...and since the party next to us was within a few feet, that was not an option. So we suffered thru the evening asking for parts of conversation to be repeated and not hearing the total of any of the rest. The service was slow and the wait staff had a hard time keeping up with the just keeping the water glasses full...fairly elemental I would think. The soup was delicious but barely warm enough. The entrée I had was loaded with sugar and the vegies were overcooked, quite a bit...smooshy actually. Presentation was excellent. Overall, this place would never make it in a bigger city at the prices charged or at all for that matter! Disappointed.

• Visited October 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Spokane, Washington
“Very good food, but overpriced for a small town like Pullman”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2013

We went to Swilly's for dinner last week and the food was excellent. We had the lamb, which was probably one of the best we'd ever eaten and the chicken/sausage sauce with gnocchi which was delicious and flavorful. The portions are just right to leave room for one of their fabulous desserts - my all time favorite being the chocolate mousse, but any of the desserts there are great.
I'm happy to pay for good quality food, but this is Pullman and for that location, I felt that the dinner prices were just to high. I go there for lunch quite often and that is more affordable, just not quite as spectacular as the dinner entrees.
The restaurant itself is not my favorite setting. It is too small, the tables are too close together, to a point where you feel like you don't have any privacy for your conversation at all. And it is very loud, when it gets crowded, it is too noisy to hear what the other people at your table are saying. We usually go there right when it opens and then it is bearable.
Also, service can be slow, which is a mystery to me since there are always a lot of waiters/waitresses wandering around. Last week I had to practically throw myself in front of one of the waiters to get my check.

• Visited September 2013
Denver, Colorado
“eat here”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2013

After many hours on the road (CO, WY, UT, ID), we winged it and stopped at Swilly's in downtown Pullman WA....good curb appeal. What a very pleasant surprise! We had a very good meal, obviously prepared by a skilled cook/chef. The price was right and the surroundings very comfortable, very good wine / beer list, and no music, thankfully. So conversation was possible. There was a free parking lot just across the street. We travel a lot and love to cook, so we hope our recommendation is useful. I highly recommend Swilly's in Pullman.

• Visited July 2013