“Great position, some rough edges”

Lake Quinault Lodge
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Quinault
GreenLeadersGold level
Leeds, UK
“Great position, some rough edges”
Reviewed 30 June 2014

We stayed a couple of nights in one of the main Lodge rooms - for which you can read a small, traditional room. The room size was fine in line with expectations although small for a US hotel room. No AC but the ceiling fan did a great job of keeping us cool without the usual noise associated with some AC units. The bathroom was distinctly odd - the lavatory was (along with the shower) on a pedestal that only extended so far, which led to some interesting posture issues.

The view from the room though was unmatched - seriously good stuff with a clear view over the lawn to the lake.

The food in the restaurant was really good, although there was an odd issue with service between the breakfast and dinner service. Dinner service was prompt and efficient, but breakfast took a long time coming (30 minutes for pancakes?) both days, with no explanation either time.

In a place like this you're going to be limited to where you stay and I thought the price reflected that. It was a great place but ultimately pretty expensive. Worth the trip but I thought a couple of nights was enough to experience Quinault before moving on.

1 Thank John M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (645)
Reviewed 29 June 2014

My husband & I stayed here for one night before exploring Olympic National Park. The setting is beautiful and our room was quite nice and very clean with an awesome view of the lake. We enjoyed sitting on our balcony with a glass of wine while savoring the view. The big lawn is nice, as well. Keep you eyes open for the gorgeous blue birds!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Amanda L, Manager at Lake Quinault Lodge, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
I am thirlled that you enjoyed your stay! Our staff hopes to see you again at the Lake Quinault Lodge. If you enjoyed the birds; I would recommend staying with us during the Shore Bird Festival that is held every year in Grays Harbor in late May.

Houston, Texas
Reviewed 29 June 2014

The property is beautiful, and the location is close to Hoh Rainforest. Unfortunately we were stuck inside due to heavy rains. I have to agree with another reviewer that the smell of stale urine was overpowering. We were to get a queen bed, but I’m pretty sure that we had a double bed instead. When I asked the front desk, the lady looked at a chart and said our room was indeed a queen. Well might work for 2 very tiny Queens! The sink is located outside of the bathroom in the room with the bed, which I found to be inconvenient.

We had our dinner at the lodge, and felt hurried along by the server. Food was okay, but overpriced for the quality.

The bed was uncomfortable (and smaller than expected), and there was considerable noise from the hallway and room above us.

Wifi was unreliable. Although the setting was gorgeous, I don’t think I would ever come back for another stay at this lodge.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
I apologize that your stay was not as you expected it to be and the weather didn't cooperate either. We are working on tackling the unusual smells our guest’s encounters in our old Lodge. One of the many challenges we work with is noise that transfers from room to room in this beautiful old lodge. We continue to seek improvements to remedy the issue but have not found that perfect solution. We if you come to enjoy the rainforests again, you would give us another chance and stay with us again.

Rancho Cucamonga, California
Reviewed 28 June 2014

We stayed at this hotel last summer and had a wonderful time. The setting is amazing and hotel staff were very friendly. We had dinner at their restaurant and the food was very good, I am a vegetarian and their menu had very yummy entree's. Will go back if in Washington again

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank krishnam1
I am thrilled you enjoyed your stay! Thank you for your compliments; I will be sure to share them with our team.

Reviewed 27 June 2014 via mobile

I came here with my family to the national park hoping ut would be nice. While it was nice to some degree I was disappointed with a couple a things. The service and food wad good but it is just a bit overpriced for what it is. I was hoping for a really nice view but was disappointed that it was not that nice. I had a horrible night sleep because due to the quality of the roll away beds that they pay, this will result with a horrible back the next day. Another thing is that the hiking trails here I think are very mediocre. I still wonder why they call this a national park because a small forest in a neighborhood that I lived for a few years was better. I cant complain too much they do give free wifi and let you play games for free. But overall as a place to stay look somewhere else.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Ryan R
I apologize that you did not have a restful night sleep because of the rollaway bed provided to you. I will have my staff inspect them and purchase new ones if they need replacing. Olympic National Park and Forests is unique and does offer a varied of activities and sites that at are worth protecting; the trails close to the lodge are very easy if you are an avid hiker. If you do visit the Olympics again, I would recommend the trails to Enchanted Valley or the North Fork trails here in the Quinault Valley.

Operation Manager
Alamogordo, New Mexico
Reviewed 22 June 2014

The setting is tranquil and everything you might expect from a lodge. Our room overlooked the lake. We fell asleep to the sound of the water lapping the shore and awoke to the sound of geese honking. We enjoyed a well presented evening meal and a filling breakfast served by a gracious staff.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank LJ C
I am glad that you enjoyed your stay! It is so peaceful to fall asleep to the lapping of the water on the lake. I hope you visit again.

Kirkland
Reviewed 21 June 2014

Staying at a historic lodge in a national park is really a unique experience that is about connecting with nature and gaining an appreciation for those who saw the beauty in the area and the need to preserve the setting for all to enjoy for generations to come. It's not about getting a luxury room at a low price point. Lake Quinault Lodge, the lake and the surrounding rain forest fit that description perfectly. The lodge is comfortable and modern, while keeping with traditions and showcasing the history of the lodge and the area. The staff is knowledgeable about the area and can make recommendations for hikes and activities and things to be sure to see. We enjoyed the big lobby area with fireplace and games, as well as the large lawn area for relaxing and playing games. Good rain forest hikes are accessible from just outside the lodge front door, so you can't beat the location. This is a great place to go to unwind and just enjoy the natural beauty of the park.

Room Tip: Choose a lake view room