“Beautiful but customer service lacking” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Cave B Estate Winery & Resort

Cave B Estate Winery & Resort
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Quincy
Vancouver, Washington
“Beautiful but customer service lacking”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2013

My husband and I stayed here on our wedding night. The room was lovely and romantic. We had a beautiful view of the Columbia River and loved the oversized bath tub! The restaurant dinner and breakfast were both well prepared, though quite expensive. With one glass of wine each (we didn't order - more on that later), our dinner bill was $101.00 But when we are paying $200 + per night for a room and $100 for dinner, we expect excellent customer service and we had a few mis steps in that department. First, the directions we were given to drive to our room, were incorrect and we had to drive all around the resort before returning to the front desk to get better directions. At dinner, we told the person who seated us that we had gotten married that day. She said, "Oh, we need to give you celebratory champagne"! We were immediately served two glasses of Sparkling White Wine, which appeared to be complimentary. BUT there was a $10 charge on our dinner bill for the wine. A little later at dinner, a waiter came to our table and was getting ready to pour red wine for us. We told him we didn't want any more wine. Later, he came back and said he had gone to the wrong table. At breakfast the next morning, the waitress walked by us two times, with no acknowledgement that we were waiting before she said, "Oh I didn't see you there". And then she did not one time, in the hour we sat there, come to see if we needed more coffee. My husband finally got up, walked across the room and asked her to get us some coffee. There were no apologies for neglecting us. The final straw for me and one reason we did not stay our 2nd night - the waitress did not bring back our credit card after she took payment. When we asked her about it, she started walking back to the desk and then bent over and picked it up off the restaurant floor about half way across the restaurant! A couple other comments: the lighting at night from the main lodge to our room was limited making it difficult to navigate the rock walk way. The price I saw on the website for our room was not the price we were actually charged. I wrote an e-mail the same day we checked out but a month later I have not had any response. I will probably not stay at this resort again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank KIC2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
Seattle, Washington, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2013

My husband and I decided to go to Cave B at the last minute for a weekend in November. It was extremely quiet (which was what we were looking for). They had initially booked us into one of the rooms in the main lodge but since we brought our very tiny dog they moved us to one of the cavern rooms.

View from the cavern room was beautiful. Room was very spacious and nice. There are no fireplaces in these rooms (I believe they are only in the cliffhouses). My only complaint is that there isn't any dresser in the room and the closet is very small with the bottom part being taken up by a small refrigerator. There was only this low table that the tv sits on that has three small cubbies.

Wi-fi worked fantastic but cell phone reception didn't (which we totally enjoyed). Staff was very helpful and the restaurant was wonderful.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Johnstown, PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2013

We stayed here for one night at the end of July 2013. It was at the tail end of a trip to Eastern Washington, before driving back to the Seattle area. We stayed in one of the Cliffehouse lodgings. These are separate, standalone units. Ours had a living area with a sofa and table. The other end of the room held a king sized bed. It was separated from the sofa living room area by a floor to ceiling column that contained a gas fireplace. There also was a separate bedroom off of this living area with another bed. Our party consisted of two couples, so it was perfect for that.

The bathroom was just gorgeous, with granite counter tops and high-end shower and bath fixtures.

The thing about this place that is just spectacular is the view from the deck of the Cliffehouse. You look out over the Columbia Gorge. The Columbia River is there in the gorge. The deck consisted of concrete slabs on the ground. Above you was a trellis with grapevines intertwined throughout the trellis. It was so inviting.

You have these visually striking contrasts. The terrain in the area is literally desert-like. I think Quincy gets something like 7 inches of rain a year (yes, a YEAR!). But, at the property, you are surrounded by grapevines (courtesy of irrigation from the water of the Columbia River below), so there are these large swaths of green at the edge of the bluff. You also have wildflowers growing on the property. I just could not get enough of the view. I generally prefer an active vacation, hiking, biking, etc. But, this is a place where you just want to sit and look out over the Gorge. Or, maybe read a book. It is so scenic and peaceful. Because you are way out in the middle of nowhere (Quincy, WA), it is absolutely quiet and peaceful. What a great place! We just loved it!

We did hike down into the gorge the next morning. You can hike all the way to the river. We did not go that far (time constraints), but you can do it. They also have bikes on the property that you can use. There is a nice outdoor pool which is carved into the hill, perhaps 100 vertical feet down in the gorge. There is water which runs off from there further down into the gorge. All along that runoff path, the wildflowers grow, in various shades of purple. It was really pretty.

The winery itself is quite good. We spent some time in the tasting room, which is really well done. All of the construction on the property from the rooms to the restaurant to the winery and tasting room is first class. It has a somewhat rustic look, blending in nicely with the desert-like terrain around it.

The restaurant, Tendrils, was really excellent as well. We ate both lunch and dinner there. Both meals were excellent. And you have that same spectacular view over the gorge to enjoy while you eat. This is just a great place. I cannot wait to get back, hopefully for more than just an overnight stop next time.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank HiddenGem2010
Zurich
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2013

I'm still trying to make sense of our stay there.

The facility is gorgeous. We stayed in the main lodge where there are just two rooms, so I can't comment of yurts or cliffs. The room was very nice with pleasant amenities, there was an odd feature to the design in what looked like our balcony was a rear entrance and fire escape, so it was jarring to see someone hauling garbage through "our balcony".

There was a small wedding at the facility, so they might have been overstressed. But, it wasn't a big event and events are their business. Nonetheless, when we arrived, the front desk never said a welcoming word and we both felt that we'd been treated worse than we'd expect if we wandered in and asked for directions. We stay in hotels 75 nights/year and I can't recall the last time I wasn't "welcomed".

It's a resort with "packages" being the norm, so I'll say more than just about the room. We did "Winemaker for a Day". When we arrived we learned that wine tasting event closed in less than an hour (which was an hour earlier than advertised), so we raced up there and through that. We had the wine pairing dinner. I must say that I find most of their wines are just way too sweet for my taste (even the reds). The dinner was sweet dish after sweet dish (corn bisque, pork belly in a sweet sauce....) which fit the wine and made it seem less cloyingly sweet. So, while it some sense they were good choices, they were good choices covering up wines that were strange and not good for the foods I would have liked.

The Winemaker for a Day was scheduled for 8 to 11am. The guide was good and we were pleased that it actually wrapped up a bit after 9am. Evidently, the longer time is that they expect you to taste then rather than the evening before (I know, it's just tastes, but tasting 10 wines then driving 150 miles at 11am? It's not for me.)

It is a big enterprise with the wine, the lodge, the restaurant, the tasting room, the spa, event catering.... It must be hard to hire that many people in Quincy. You won't find many experienced people, so they really need to focus more on training.

My wife and I go back and forth from Seattle to E WA a lot. I had really wanted to like this place and stay often. I think it will take a few years before I want to try it again. Although, if it's a special concert at the Gorge, where else are you going to stay?

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank astrolake
CaveBInnGM, General Manager at Cave B Estate Winery & Resort, responded to this review, 18 October 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay with us and for your commentary on the Winemaker for a Day package. For your information, the wines in the 5 course wine paired, dinner, with one exception, the Riesling, are totally dry, meaning that there is zero residual sugar in those wines, Sometimes fruitiness is perceived as sweetness. The foods and wines chosen for a wine paired dinner are selected to be mutually complimentary, the concept being that both the wine and the food are enhanced by the other. I am sorry that apparently nether were to your favored taste profile. I can honestly say that this is the first time I have heard this, but we will re-evaluate the pairings to see if other choices should or could be made

As to not being welcomed at check in, that is certainly not our usual practice, and I apologize if you were not warmly welcomed. You indicate that you are still trying to make sense of your stay, and I likewise of your review. I would look forward to speaking with you more about your impressions so that we can fully understand what prompted you to write the review that you wrote. We take reviews seriously, and use them as learning tools.
Carnation, Washington
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2013

So, I've stayed at Cave B a few times however it's been about 3 years since my last stay. We're also former wine club members as we really like the wine here. Anytime I think back to Cave B, it always made me happy because I could bring my dog, hike down to the Columbia, enjoy a nice dinner and great wine. So, thinking that would be what we would get, we decided to stay here again for a night on our way home. BOY WAS I WRONG!!!

First, I emailed the hotel asking if they had any special week day rates since I knew they would be slow...answer? Nope! Well, ok...we're still going to book.

We get there, ask how much it would be for a 2 bedroom cliff house instead of the 1 bedroom cliffhouse, they wanted $80 more a night for it. Valeria, the front desk girl called was very nice and was able to get up into the 2 bedroom for $50 more. Well...the 2 bedrooms is NOT a 2 bedroom. It's a 1 bedroom with a studio. One of the beds shares the same area as the living room so no privacy at all. But, we were ok with it...we're close friends and decided to just leave it as is and enjoy our night.

We had a nice dinner and fun wine tasting then headed in for the night.

Cons:
Almost all the blinds are broke
Flies everywhere
Doors to outside have big gaps that let bugs in
NOT a 2 bedroom
Expensive
Management lacks professionalism and hospitality.
TV is so small...it's high, far back and hard to see.
Ran out of toilet paper (called 2 times for more...had to use coffee napkins and tissues. 1 more roll of TP showed up an hour later).
Outlets don't all work
Coffeemaker was broken

Pros:
View
Fireplace
Nice bathroom
Toiletries smell nice

Now, after all this...we leave around noon and head home. I look at my phone and see I have a missed call and voicemail. I listen to it...and who is it?? It's Claudia (I think that was her name from Cave B). The message says that I had a dog in the room (This is true, I told them when I checked in) and that we lied and didn't tell them. She then accused that there was pee on the bedskirt so they were going to charge us the pet fee, cleaning fee and that was that. Well, now you've pissed me off. 1. I did tell you and you accuse me of not??? (another person heard this whole conversation) 2. you then say our dogs pee'd in the place!!! I travel with my dogs about once a month and they do NOT pee or I'd NOT ever bring them with me. They are 100% potty trained and I bring 4 furniture covers with me anytime I travel as to make sure that the place is respected and cared for by us. Not to mention, these 2 dogs traveled with me on my previous visits to Cave B as well. UNBELIEVABLE! So, I call back and Claudia basically said the same thing the message did. She challenged me on the phone, was rude and condescending. I refused and did not authorize her to charge any additional charges and she did agree to "waive" the additional cleaning fee they were going to charge.

When did this place get so desperate that they try and pull out these tricks to make more $$? We spent $300 for the room for 1 night, $400 at the winery, $200 at dinner and then they do this?? Until this property has different management, I will not be coming back. It's a shame as this used to be such an amazing place.

Room Tip: My tip is to stay at another destination hotel...Skamania Lodge, Suncadia, Willows Lodge...anywhere...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank IHeartTravel1978
As you know from prior visits,. we are a pet friendly facility. We have set aside several rooms in which dogs are allowed to stay with their owners. Had we been aware that your dogs were traveling with you, you would have been booked into one of those rooms. Our pet policy clearly states that dogs must be crated if left unattended in your room, and that damages (including extra cleaning), caused by unattended pets will be charged accordingly. I understand that there were two dogs in the room.. The person who called you about these issues was following through on information provided to her by staff members.. Always awkward when one's beloved pets are being accused of not being on their best behavior.!Although extra cleaning was required in the room in which you stayed, those fees were waived. Employees have been counseled as to how this could have been handled better.
Lakewood, WA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2013

Last week we spent a couple days at the Cave B Inn & Spa in Quincy, WA. We stayed in a
Cliffhouse which was perfect. The natural beauty is truly breathtaking. We enjoyed the wine
tasting and walking through the vineyards. It is a perfect place to relax and unwind.
All of our meals were delightful. The wait staff couldn't have been better. We enjoyed the food and even asked for the Corn Bisqsue recipe.
My only disappointment was that our waiter told us the chef would be happy to email the recipe I requested but, as of this date, no recipe.

Room Tip: When we go back, we'll stay in a Cliffhouse again.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank grandma4408
Rochester, Minnesota
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2013

Stayed four nights as guests of another couple. First of all, both of our reserved Cliffhouses were given to another party so we were moved to units 1 & 2. Don't expect them to honor their commitments. Cliffhouse 1 is badly in need of a good cleaning and updates. The blinds are broken, there is a big hole in the dirty rug in front of the sofa, the walls are marked, the furniture doesn't match, it's time to throw away the sheets along with the dead flies. Housekeeping was poor. Second night we were locked out and had to walk back to have key cards reactivated. Overall, management needs to clean up, and clean up their act.
Unique architecture. Grounds are very nice but need more lighting on the paths and better signage.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Gregory H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Quincy
BEST WESTERN Rama Inn
BEST WESTERN Rama Inn
#1 of 3 in Ephrata
The Suites at Crescent Bay Resort

Been to Cave B Estate Winery & Resort? Share your experiences!