“A Bit Less Than Merry Marriott: Marriott, Marriott Quite Contrary”

Seattle Marriott Redmond
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Redmond
Dublin, Ireland
“A Bit Less Than Merry Marriott: Marriott, Marriott Quite Contrary”
Reviewed 21 July 2013

The good bit: I should note I’ve been to this property many times over many years. I stayed at this hotel in January, March and July. This is a great property, well located, about 16 – 20 minutes from downtown Seattle and 15 from Bellevue (now a huge city in its own right). Close to the hotel is also the lovely slightly more manageable city of Redmond, with theatres, restaurants and entertainment, including a concert venue (don’t worry, the concert venue is close, but not THAT close), walking trails on what I believe they call the sea to sky trail—you can walk, run, skate or bike to your heart’s content along a beautiful river. In years past, I even caught a glimpse or two of Apollo Ono, hand tucked behind him as he skated the trail at break neck speed. At certain times of year you can see the salmon runs up the river. The hotel is also closer to Washington’s wine country (Woodinville) than most travellers realize. And the hotel has a top-notch restaurant. That’s what makes the bad bit such a shame. Though, if you are just the typical pass-through, as the reviews show, it suffices and unevenly can do a bit more. If you are staying for more than a few days and need to actually use the hotel “services,” you are in for a bumpy and very uneven ride. See more if you dare face the eyes with daggers of steel…

The so-so bit: as one other reviewer noted, the carpets are bleak. The beds however are quite nice and the rooms clean (remarkable given understaffing—see below). I am of like mind that it is time for all Marriotts to catch up and drop the Internet charges. However, as they largely now manage, as opposed to own hotels, I’m guessing that this is no longer in Marriott’s purview.

The bad bit: Perfectly suitable for the typical business traveller who spends little time at the hotel. Mostly suited for Microsoft functions (even their lavish Christmas Party), huge training groups travelling in for Microsoft meetings, etc. This is so much so that I’ve wondered why Mr. Gates doesn’t just buy the hotel himself. Aside from their main client, the hotel caters mostly to large groups. They have excellent conference facilities. However, I do not believe that this should result in their increasingly dismissive attitude towards the needs of smaller companies or groups, a single business traveler and sole proprietors. My work requires a lot of preparation and work in my room, so I don’t just pass through I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS HOTEL TO ANYONE WHO NEEDS TO DO A SIGNIFICANT AMOUNT OF WORK IN THEIR ROOM, OR THINKS THERE IS A GENUINE BUSINESS CENTER AT THEIR DISPOSAL WHO PLAN TO DO MORE THAN SLEEP AT THE HOTEL. It seems on my latest visit the hotel was severely, severely and, I fear deliberately, understaffed, taking a heavy toll on service (though for unfathomable reasons the restaurant service, with excellent food if you can get your hands on it, has been consistently poor for years). This issue is also taking a heavy toll on staff. I remember one night, with great trepidation and far and away too much deliberation, with trembling hand, I reached for the telephone and, gasp, had to order room service. (The same kitchen that makes the lovely but elusive food in the restaurant also serves room service needs, hypothetically). It took an hour for a small salad to arrive and when I opened the door the server met me with eyes aglare like daggers of steel! Apparently there were 15 whole people in the restaurant and she made it very clear that, how dare I order room service (pricey at that) under such horrific circumstances.

I must now rank this once truly lovely property with low marks in several areas.

Room Tip: Room recommendations: High floors, with little audible street noise, though this entire property is...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Mitch-On-The-Move

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Breckenridge, Colorado
Reviewed 11 July 2013

My husband has spent many nights here over the past 3 years and I was delighted to have the chance to join him. We spent 3 nights here as part of our long weekend and were very comfortable in both our rooms. We did not spend much time in the hotel but everything worked well and the staff were very helpful and friendly. The evening food in the Club Lounge was incredible too. We did use the gym and my husband has mentioned to me many times how hard his workouts are in Seattle and oh my God those running machines are a killer - they seem to be calibrated up hill - just a nightmare! My only frustration was that the wifi kept disconnecting from my phone which meant logging in all the time

Room Tip: We had rooms on 7th floor which were great.
East Wenatchee, Washington
Reviewed 8 July 2013

First, I was disappointed before I got there because I didn't get a good deal through a third party site. I bid hoping I would get a better hotel for the price, but ended up getting this one which I saw on another site for less...without bidding.

Then was frustrated by additional costs - $13. for parking, $14. for wi-fi.....are you kidding?

The towels were no better than a Motel 6 and our bathroom light flickered.

I was expecting more from a Marriott.

1 Thank evanandblakesmom
Washington
Reviewed 8 July 2013

The location is right at the town center of Redmond which is a great location. Even better it is less than 10 minutes from the Woodinville wine country and tasting rooms. My husband stayed at the Marriott so we were able to attend a concert at the Ste Michelle Winery. The overnight rate is reasonable, our room was clean and very comfortable. The staff is very friendly and helpful - p[rovided suggestions for restaurants, driving instructions, taxi information etc.

Halifax, Canada
Reviewed 2 July 2013

The Marriot was very centrally located in lovely Redmond. Our room was clean and very comfortable. The staff were very accommodating and nice. They changed our room type to suit our needs. It is right next to shopping and lots of restaurants. We didn't like that they charge $11 for internet and parking is extra as well. I am surprised that the Marriot still charges for internet, when it's free everywhere else these days.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Boise
Reviewed 2 July 2013

I checked into this hotel and it was a bit drab and beat down. I've attached pics. I would recommend the hotel if you have no where else to go and if you need to be in Redmond. I was forced to stay here due to the over bookings in other hotels. But things were in slight disrepair and the carpets were pretty heavily stained.

I contacted the manager for non feather pillows on the beds and they were not there. I would recommend wearing socks during your stay...see pics.

Room Tip: Make sure if you have special needs you go through the manager.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Chandigarh
Reviewed 1 July 2013

This is a really nice place. Comfortable and clean. But the downsides were too much to ignore. I'll summarize in point form:

- Location is very nice. Close to nice dining options (except for breakfast) and a really pleasant park. Dining options are important because I do not know who can afford the restaurant or room service. The prices felt like a punishment just to look at them.

- Service was very nice. I really liked all the people I met there, even the housekeeping staff.

- Business center is a complete afterthought. First of all, it is stuck in a corner of a busy lobby. After dealing with a system crash, I found out the computers don't even have MS Office despite what they advertise. The printer isn't even set up as the default so you have to fiddle with it.

- Room was your basic hotel room -- small but clean and comfortable -- with only a few points of note: K-Cup style coffee machine was really nice, but you only get one serving for the day. If you switch to tea for a second cup, housekeeping won't replace it. So the next day, back to one serving.

-The bathroom smelt moldy in the mornings. I noticed they take that "hang your towel if you want to reuse it" seriously. They didn't bother to put it (or the soaking washcloth) on the towel rack to dry out, so they were still wet when I got back to my room that evening. Hence the moldy smell.

- Internet and parking cost extra. Very much extra. I don't know what kind of space age telecommunications system they have that makes it worth $15 per day, but I could not pay that so I don't know. And parking is $21 per night. Wow. That is all I can say about that. Cheaper to leave your car at the airport. I feel like they might be charged under Federal racketeering laws some day soon.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Redmond
Hyatt House Seattle/Redmond
Redmond Inn
Redmond Inn
#5 of 8 in Redmond
Hampton Inn & Suites Seattle/Redmond
Residence Inn Seattle East/Redmond
Silver Cloud Inn Redmond
The Heathman Hotel Kirkland

Been to Seattle Marriott Redmond? Share your experiences!