“It's time for MAJOR renovations!”

Shilo Inn Suites Hotel Richland
Ranked #8 of 13 Hotels in Richland
Spokane, Wa
“It's time for MAJOR renovations!”
Reviewed 15 November 2012

I got a good price at hotels.com for a last-minute stay, so the price was ok, but, wow, does this place need some help! The location on the river is awesome, but that's as far as it goes. The outside of the building is dated and has been neglected. The lobby is very nice, the pool area is clean, a free hot breakfast is included, but the good news stops there.
I usually gauge a place with the question, "Would I bring my wife here?" and the answer is a resounding "NO"!! The TV is the smallest and oldest I have ever seen in a hotel/motel, and the quality of the picture was amazingly bad. The room was very small and dated (but clean). The walls are thin; no sense of real privacy.
I was going to stay at Motel 6 or Super 8, but decided to spend more money for what I thought would be a nicer place, but I didn't make a good choice. I don't understand why Shilo Inns would allow their name to be put on this place.
I'm usually not critical about a place, but my recommendation to my fellow travelers is to stay somewhere else at one of the many newer chain hotels. I won't be back, no matter the price.

Room Tip: Rooms on the back side have view of the river and next to the walking path.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Corvallis
Reviewed 5 November 2012

Room was clean, quiet (end room near the river), food was warm and tasty, staff was friendly and helpful. This is a motor inn so there are no elevators but multiple ramps for the main floor. Parking lot lighting is bright.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
Boise, Idaho
Reviewed 3 November 2012

I stayed here because it was the host hotel for a marathon. Shilo Inns were very swank in the 90s--and you can tell. There hasn't been a single update since that time. Everything in the whole place is dated and beat up. I mean REALLY beat up. The room had stained comforters and really cheap, bad pillows. The carpet was stained and worn. The pool area -- BAD. The indoor hottub -- WORSE. The bar, restaurant, fitness room - all really dumpy looking. On the upside, the staff was TERRIFIC. Loved the bartender and the front desk staff. But really, until they put some money into this thing, it's not worth the $90 a night.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
Everett, Washington
Reviewed 14 October 2012

This stay was just for one night, a place to sleep and shower before a conference and a return to the road. The Shilo Inn Richland accommodated that.

First, before I say any more, I have to complement the staff. Everyone we met was warm, friendly, competent, and pleasant. We were greeted properly at check-in, provided extra towels with no complaint, and generally treated well. We went into the lounge late at night for a snack and the manager there, who did most of the serving, was great, as was the food.

Also, the breakfast was very good. We did not visit the included buffet, which looked about average, but instead applied the vouchers at the on-site restaurant. I really like that they had this option rather than the take-it-or-leave-it buffet that several hotels offer. The restaurant menu offered good choices, and both my wife and I enjoyed our food with no complaints.

In the room, the bed was comfortable and clean. However, the room smelled deeply of smoke. We were told there would be a heavy charge to smoke in the room and wondered if the previous guests smoked in there. We do not smoke, so we ensured the front desk added a comment in our reservation that we did not smoke in the room. If the previous guests, or someone recent, had indeed smoked in there against the rules, and the smell remained, did the staff not deep-clean the room?

The walls are very thin. My wife woke up to a neighbor's vibrating cell phone, and she is not exactly a light sleeper. Also, another neighbor had a dog with him in the room, and when left alone, the dog whimpered for some time, and we heard the whole thing.

The shower had great water pressure and held its temperature -- two things I want in a hotel shower. However, I don't know why in our room (174) that those corner thingys in the shower that prevent the water from escaping were removed. It allowed water from the shower to flow out and pool behind the toilette. We don't exactly shower with reckless abandon, but it was disappointing. The marks where the devises were removed still showed and were not scrubbed off. Also, there was apparently a leak at one time on the ceiling above the shower head that had been patched, but mold had developed. Also, a soap wrapper was left on the shelf in the shower. It's not a big thing, but since I'm noting the shower, I thought I would mention it. It made us wonder the cleanliness of the shower overall.

But, the hotel is old. It's a large property, so either the staffing level is not sufficient to keep it up to date, or there is a lack of funds or will to do so.

While it was clean enough and nothing stood out, aside from the room odor mentioned above, it did show that it is in need of a good, deep cleaning. The carpets really need attention throughout the property. The chairs in the lounge need a scrubbing. Outside walkways could do with a pressure washing. Even little things like numbers missing from room signs, a broken computer in the business center, and a spill left for two days near outside stairs just made me wonder where the priorities lie for this property.

We do head to the Tri-Cities a couple times a year, and I would not necessarily avoid this hotel outright. However, since it is a large western chain, I certainly hope someone takes a closer look and tries to improve on the "Affordable Excellence" it prides itself on.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
Spokane
Reviewed 27 September 2012 via mobile

If you need to save money, then stay at Shiloh. Room was ok, but in need of major renovation. Bring and use ear plugs (walls are "permeable" to even the slightest sounds, including flatulent neighbors), and be prepared to be cramped. Microwave was a nano- size, fridge was noisy. Free breakfast was ok. Would I do it again? Only if I were broke and needed a shower.

Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
Vancouver, Washington
Reviewed 24 September 2012

We were in Richland Wa to spend the last days with a terminally ill relative at the hospital. The Shilo Inn has a special rate for relatives of hospital patients so we thought it would be a nice place to crash while we spent time with out loved one. The front desk staff was great. The rooms and beds were your typical outdoor entrance hotel style rooms. The outside was fairly clean and quiet. We ended up getting an urgent called at 5:30AM on Sunday to get to the hospital as quick as we could. We left out rooms intending on coming back and resting before we traveled back home to Vancouver Washington. When we returned to our rooms around 10:00am we found that housekeeping had removed out personal items which included medication and a change of clothing. The house keeper couldn't speak English and could only show us the do not disturb door hanger. When I went to check out I asked the front desk what time check out was and they advised me that check out was at noon. I then told them about the housekeeping incident. The front desk agents were very shocked and apologetic to me. The housekeeping supervisor that happened to walk up while I was checking out seemed very unconcerned over the incident. That reaction alone made my mind up that I will never stay at another Shilo Inn.

Room Tip: Get the accessible rooms if possible. they have better showers
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Robert F
Shilo I, General Manager at Shilo Inn Suites Hotel Richland, responded to this review, 25 September 2012
Dear Robert F,

Thank you for taking out the time to talk to me about your experience here at the Shilo Inns Suites Hotel. Customer service is definitely one of our top priorities, we sincerely apologize for any inconvenience you experienced, as checkout is indeed at 12noon. I hope that any future visits to the Tri-Cities will be on a happier occasion. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly for any future reservations, we would love the opportunity to show you the customer service you deserve.

Best regards,

Raynell Flannery
Sumner, Washington, United States
Reviewed 18 September 2012

The big three for me, comfortable bed great water pressure and an elongated toilet.
We stayed 5 nights in a jacuzzi suite. My wife loved the large tub in the living area of the room cuz she could watch tv from it. A second tv in the bed area was good cuz then I could watch something different.

Pros:
1.Exteriour entrance (Smokers will like this)
2.Comfortable bed
3.Great water pressure
4.Elongated toilet (People of size will like this)
5.Full size fridge
6.Huge pool
7.Cieling fan over the bed
8.Nice staff
9.Armless chairs (Another one for people of size)

Cons:
1.Decor and furniture showing it's age. A little rough around the edges and dated.
2.A/C did not work properly in the room we had. It would completly shut down and not come back on until you switched it to fan only for a while and then put back on cool. Especially annoying at night, (cieling fan helped). This continued our entire stay.
3.Pool not heated.
4.Entry door fit very poorly.

Room Tip: Ask for river view side of building. (Nicer views)
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
Mr. Man,

Your comments are greatly appreciated, thank you for taking the time out to share your observations and experiences. We will be sure to forward your comments to our Corporate office. Our top priority is cleanliness, affordability and customer service. We apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced with the heat of the pool. Our pool is actually a heated pool, but a motor went out and we have the motor part coming in which will resolve any heating problems. We are apologetic this happened during your stay. We will be sure to look into the entry door and A/C unit in the room you occupied. Thank you for letting us know. We look forward to your stay in the future!

Best regards,