“shabby, needs updating and customer service terrible” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Shilo Inn Suites Hotel Richland

Shilo Inn Suites Hotel Richland
Ranked #8 of 13 Hotels in Richland
seattle
“shabby, needs updating and customer service terrible”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2013

Lots of stuff going on here. This first part covers customer service or lack of it. Originally my wife and the kids were going to drive down, watch another family member graduate high school, hang out with family and stay in the rv at the hotel and come back home. We drove our RV a few hundred miles to this hotel from Seattle.

My mother in law set up the reservation with herself in one room and another family member in another. She had asked about rv parking and this is where the problem starts. Somewhere between her and the front desk the translation of my family staying in our RV was lost. She was told where we could park the rv but the hotel did not know we were staying in it.

The first night at 1:58 am, a security guard went around knocking/banging on the rv which woke up the already grumpy 1 year old. The security guard gave me the twenty questions routine and I told her I was allowed to stay there we had family members staying at the hotel.

The next day I am told by the front desk that rv parking is allowed for guests only but we could not stay in the rv. The manager of the hotel who I spoke with later, Erika ( I believe her name was) told me that there was NO rv parking unless she allowed it. So obviously their rules on RV's is not clear to everybody.

So at this point we are being told we have to leave the property unless we get a room, even though we were at the hotel to meet up with other family members that were paying for rooms. I felt this was absolutely ridiculous and it gets more ridiculous.

I was told they were not licensed to have me stay in my RV there. Never hear of having to be licensed to allow somebody to spend the night in their RV. Walmart, Costco, Home Depot, etc, are not "licensed" to have people in their rv. That was ridiculous.

The next reason we couldn't stay in the rv was that they were in the business of selling hotel rooms. Well, we did have family members staying there and we were paying money to eat at what they consider to be a restaurant on site. So I offered to pay for parking to stay in the rv. They would not accept that. Since we wanted to stay on site with family from the area and family that drove up from Reno, my mother in law went ahead and paid for a room for us that we didn't want. Even after paying for the room we were told we couldn't stay in our rv. We liked the RV better. So that negates their second argument that by me staying in my rv it somehow interferes with them selling hotel rooms.

Things got more bizarre with the manager telling me what I thought was one thing and finding out she meant something else as far as room discounts.

I would understand their reasoning if they didn't give me any bologna answers and simply said 'hey, it's our property and we can do what we want." Maybe our family wouldn't have stayed at the hotel if they couldn't accommodate our rv in what would be considered a rather large parking lot. My rv was not in anybody's way.

Enough of the RV. Lets talk about the hotel. Like I said, there was plenty of parking. The central pool with shallow kiddy pool is a nice feature. They also have a hot tub. They have rooms that face out away from the property on two levels and they have rooms that face in towards the pool on both levels.

I am not sure about its location. I am not familiar with Richland WA but I think everything is small so it must be close to everything.

It is located next to the river and was quiet, except for the wedding party which the hotel allowed to stay up and party till 1:30 in the morning. I asked the front desk personally what time the wedding was over and this is what they told me.

There are plenty of stores nearby and there is some sort of running biking trail right next to the hotel and river.

Your room might include free breakfast. You might want to skip it. The buffet thing consisted of undercooked potates, some eggs, two types of dry cereal, maybe some juice, biscuits and muffins cut in half.

We ate their twice sort of. The first time I tipped on the amount the meals should have been even though we had free breakfast coupons. The second day they forgot to bring a menu to our table. The kids had the buffet thing and I attempted to order pancakes and french toast. We ended up leaving the restaurant before the food arrived. If this was a real restaurant they wouldn't be in business very long. The pancakes I had the day before were like out of the box mix with powder pancakes but worse. My three year old would hardly touch anything. No offer to refill my beverage. The juice glasses hold about 3-4 ounces I am guessing. Ridiculous. The tables were sticky and they put the coffee cups lipside down on the dirty, filthy, sticky table top.

One of the front desk girls with long red hair was nice enough to my wife and I. The others we talked to, not so much.

The hotel is in need of desperate updating. From the tube tvs in the room to the huge sections of peeled off paint around the entire property. In the back of the property there is a hole in the hotel where birds obviously got into the walls or attic area. There was bird poop that ran down the side of the walls and they just nailed a screen over the hole; didn't even think to wash the poop off the walls.

The bed we had was soft and hurt my back. The comforters obviously don't get washed which is nasty. The water pressure was good and there was a little substandard microwave and dorm fridge in the unit.

I didn't even want to take my shoes off and walk on the dirty carpet in the rooms.

The keys to the room have a huge head on them and of course they have been in use forever so they are bent and the door locks are worn out. Even though they are worn out, it was difficult to insert the key into the door lock. They should be using magnetic key cards.

As you can see, I mentioned several reasons why I might want to stay in my RV more than a hotel. Everybody acknowledges a miscommunication problem but the 'fix' for this problem was no fix at all. I had just driven over 200 miles with babies, to hang out with family. I didn't appreciate having to haul my luggage in the room when my rv was setup just how I liked it. When I pack my rv we pack in boxes that fit in certain areas of the rv. We don't pack in luggage that you can just wheel into the rooms. I didn't appreciate having to have my mother in law purchase a room for us just so I could park my rv on their property and hang out with family.

I learned my lesson and that is to make sure I call ahead and get names of people that tell me things so that I can plan for issues.

I would also like to thank my mother in law for setting everything up, getting food and paying for everything.

I also have a sarcastic thanks to the jerks that drove their rv to the hotel for the wedding and ended up leaving a bag of garbage in the parking lot and a step stool. What a bunch of a holes. I imagine they got upset when the hotel told them they had to leave and could not stay the night there even though there were multiple rooms being rented as well as a banquet type room by other members of the party.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank livingaboard

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Nampa, Idaho
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2013

Very nice older hotel. Well maintained for the most part. The mini-suite we stayed in needed to have the carpets cleaned.
We were there for an Optimist District Meeting over the weekend in the middle of May. The location is wonderful. It is right on the Columbia River and the Riverfront Trail. Quiet location for the most part. Our room was on the second floor overlooking the pool. Didn't use the pool as it was still a little chilly for my taste; however, several younger people and children seemed to be enjoying it and it did look very inviting. The indoor spa and sauna were great. Never did get the steam room to work, but can't have everything.
The exercise room has three pieces of equipment so don't expect a lot. There are no elevators in this hotel, so if you are on the second floor you can get plenty of exercise without an exercise room!
The front desk and the restaurant staff were very accommodating as was the bartender. The owner/manager was on site every day and was very involved in running the hotel and overseeing all the activities.
I would hope that this Shilo is chosen again for one of our Pacific Northwest Optimist activities. The breakfast buffet was great. You get a coupon for each morning you are there. Saturday lunch was very tasty and they were good about our gluten-free requirements.
Just two negatives one was the catered banquet on Saturday night left a lot to be desired, like another meal for instance. The second was there was a lot of noise from hotel staff (unintentional, I'm sure) in the hallway by the meeting room where we were holding the Oratorical Contests.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Solana Beach, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2013 via mobile

Awesome Hotel right on the Columbia river. After my horrendous night at the Bali Hi motel, which sucked and was dirty and where I paid almost 60$ a night, this place was heaven. I got a room in the rear of the hotel back by the river where it's quiet and the scenery is awesome.
The rooms are clean and there is a lounge and restaurant, also
Plenty of shopping and stuff nearby.
The river walk is very cool too

• Stayed May 2013
Albuquerque, New Mexico
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2013

I go to Richland a fair bit for work and have stayed elsewhere. I keep going back to Shilo Inn. I find the people that work there to be very friendly. I like that there is a restaurant in the hotel that serves breakfast (don't forget your daily coupon) I like that the hotel is quiet, especially on the waterfront side. I like that there are a lot of places to eat within walking distance.
The rooms could use updating, yes... but for the price and the people and the nearby amenities, this is my place to stay.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Shilo I, General Manager at Shilo Inn Suites Hotel Richland, responded to this review, 15 May 2013
Dear poboi,

Thank you very much for your comments. We appreciate all of our return regular guests as they have a special place in our hearts. Our goal is to provide an affordable, enjoyable comfortable stay for each and every guest.

We appreciate your business and from all of our staff, we extend a big “thank you”

Best regards,

Ray
Moscow, Idaho, USA!
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2013

We stayed here one night while shopping in the area. Originally attracted by a $59.00 per night rate, I looked elsewhere when I found out my Saturday night stay would be $119, only to find that Shilo was the only one around that would accept pets. Nice area, nice view of the river, close to decent dining, but, like others have said, in need of major renovations. If I have need to travel to this area in the future, I'll kennel the Scottie and stay elsewhere.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
San Diego, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2013

Windy night shakes the walls but great staff and breakfast. Good internet, older rooms but everything worked. Gazebo on the river - great sunrise. Location and price are big drivers and both were met.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Seattle
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2013

For a very reasonable price (lower than anything else in the area) we got a nice room overlooking the beautiful river. We went for a long walk on the river walk before dinner. Room is very clean and although a little dated in decor all was very nice: refrigerator, micro, movies, free wireless internet. We were very pleased -- we expected a lower quality for the price we paid. We thought the real keys were a very quaint touch. The front desk lady was very friendly and we had a nice meal with a good atmosphere in the restaurant that evening. Prices and value OK, not crowded and a nice river view. Quiet room - hot tub - complimentary restaurant breakfast. We will definitely be staying here again! This is the best Shilo we've stayed at so far.

Room Tip: Rooms with a river view are very nice and quiet.