“Good Motel & Great Location”

Shilo Inn Suites Hotel Richland
Ranked #8 of 14 Hotels in Richland
Reviewed 29 August 2013

Although the rooms have a slightly dated décor, they are clean, quiet, and comfortable. The staff went above and beyond to make my large family feel welcome. We enjoyed the complimentary breakfast which included biscuits & gravy, cottage fried potatoes, link sausages, eggs, muffins, cereals, and fruit. The guest laundry is also very convenient when traveling with children. The location is excellent, with the Columbia Point Golf Course on one side and the Columbia River & a lovely river walkway adjacent. There is also a great kid and dog friendly park very close by. All the amenities really add up, and with children under 12 staying for free it was a very good value for us. We plan to return next fall for our school shopping trip, and hope to spend an extra night to take advantage of the pool, wading pool, and whirlpool spa. Satisfied customers here!
Mary K.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 7 August 2013

The condition of the facility is deplorable! The railings are faded, chipped and covered with bird droppings, walls and walkways cracked, chunks of the stucco have fallen off the exterior. The rooms looked like they have not been updated since 1980! Doors were scuffed, mold on walls, porcelain chipped, faded shades, a television from the 70’s??? I go down to breakfast and have to eat in the dark because the Manager hasn’t arrived and the light switch is in his locked office!! Really???? The insects!!!! Gnats, Moths and Silverfish covered the bathroom vanity, the bathtub, every wall and light fixture. On the sheets in the bed! On my face when I woke up!!! No hot water to take a shower! The front dest finds it easier to say no to requests than take the time to find a way to say yes.

Room Tip: They are charging premium rates for a sub-sub-par motel. The are so many other hotels and motels in...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Charles M
Reviewed 14 July 2013

The facility is a bit dated but we had a great time. The staff were excellent, the pool was amazing and the food at the restaurant was good. The location on the river with its picturesque trail was a nice bonus. We'll definitely be back.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Shilo I, General Manager at Shilo Inn Suites Hotel Richland, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2013

Dear ekeko7,

Thank you for visiting the Shilo Inns Suites Hotel in Richland, Washington. Although we are not the newest venue on the block, cleanliness and customer service is our top priority. Our staff strives to provide a relaxing enjoyable environment for all of our guests. We are happy you were able to enjoy our outdoor pool (one of our favorite family features) as well as our onsite O’Callahan’s restaurant for your convenience. We hope you were able to take advantage of the complimentary breakfast as well.

From the entire Shilo family – Thank you for your business and we look forward to your future stay with us! Be sure to check our website at www.shiloinns.com for our other Shilo locations.

Best regards,

Ray Flannery

Reviewed 12 July 2013

The place is really run down and the breakfast is really bad. Even the pool area has cracks in the pool deck with grass growing between it. It's just not been well kept up, not a pleasant stay, beds are the worst and the sheets are like sleeping between paper. I would have not stayed but was with my young grandson and he wanted to go swimming, which he did enjoy the pool. It is such a nice location but nothing has been kept up the walk from the river onto the parking lot has old stairs and rails that are dangerous. I really don't think I will go back.

Dear Nancy G.

I am sorry that the breakfast and our pillow top bed and bed linens did not meet your expectations, we will be sure to share this information with O’Callahans Restaurant Management and our Corporate office.

It sounds like the pathway you were on is not a pathway that is meant for our guests. That pathway is utilized by our groundskeeping staff, we will look into proper signage so that this does not happen again. For our guests convenience, we have a safe easy access (no stairs) paved walking path specifically for our guests use to the river walk. This is located right next to our gazebo area.

The pool is a favorite amongst our family guests. We are glad that your grandson enjoyed himself at the pool area. It is very important that our pool area is pleasing to the eye for our guests. So to make it enjoyable, we have our pool area surrounded by foliage, flower hanging baskets and potted flowers. I have spoken to our groundskeeper, he will be sure to keep a closer eye should any seedlings emerge.

We hope that you will come back, although we are not the newest venue in town. Cleanliness, Customer Service and Affordability is our top priority.

Best regards,

Ray Flannery

Reviewed 8 July 2013

I have been staying at the Shilo for years (15+) and I'm pretty certain the same bedspreads are in use. Although each year it slips more and more this past stay put me over the edge. It is in grave need of a major update. Peeling paint, dirty carpets, stained furniture, filthy walkways and uncared for landscaping. The beds are extremely uncomfortable. Complimentary buffet although a nice idea is subpar at best. In the past they have had cut up fruit this year literally a basket with apples and brown bananas. Less than appealing. The flower baskets than typically hang pool side are no longer there. On a positive location is great...right next to the river walk which is paved . Pool is fine. It does have a wading part for the little ones which is very nice. However, two days in a row we saw a guest taking the initiative to skim the pool of the hundreds of bugs it had floating in it.

Room Tip: The "suites" are very spacious with easy access to the pool. Would fit a family of 4 easil...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Shilo I, General Manager at Shilo Inn Suites Hotel Richland, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2013

Dear carridurand,

Thank you for taking out the time in writing your comments. Here at the Shilo Inns Suites Hotel, our top priority is cleanliness and customer service. We are sorry that our pillow top beds did not meet your satisfaction. We will be sure to forward your comments to our corporate office regarding peeling paint, bed spreads, furniture as well. Thank you for sharing your feedback on the breakfast at O’Callahan’s, I am sorry that it did not meet your expectations. I have communicated your concerns with the Restaurant Manager for review. Our Riverfront outdoor pool at the Hotel is cleaned on a daily basis by our staff prior to opening for our guest convenience so that they may enjoy swimming. This is checked periodically throughout the day, although this guest was being helpful, we prefer our guests to relax and enjoy themselves and leave the pool skimming to our staff.

Raynell Flannery

Reviewed 3 June 2013

Lots of stuff going on here. This first part covers customer service or lack of it. Originally my wife and the kids were going to drive down, watch another family member graduate high school, hang out with family and stay in the rv at the hotel and come back home. We drove our RV a few hundred miles to this hotel from Seattle.

My mother in law set up the reservation with herself in one room and another family member in another. She had asked about rv parking and this is where the problem starts. Somewhere between her and the front desk the translation of my family staying in our RV was lost. She was told where we could park the rv but the hotel did not know we were staying in it.

The first night at 1:58 am, a security guard went around knocking/banging on the rv which woke up the already grumpy 1 year old. The security guard gave me the twenty questions routine and I told her I was allowed to stay there we had family members staying at the hotel.

The next day I am told by the front desk that rv parking is allowed for guests only but we could not stay in the rv. The manager of the hotel who I spoke with later, Erika ( I believe her name was) told me that there was NO rv parking unless she allowed it. So obviously their rules on RV's is not clear to everybody.

So at this point we are being told we have to leave the property unless we get a room, even though we were at the hotel to meet up with other family members that were paying for rooms. I felt this was absolutely ridiculous and it gets more ridiculous.

I was told they were not licensed to have me stay in my RV there. Never hear of having to be licensed to allow somebody to spend the night in their RV. Walmart, Costco, Home Depot, etc, are not "licensed" to have people in their rv. That was ridiculous.

The next reason we couldn't stay in the rv was that they were in the business of selling hotel rooms. Well, we did have family members staying there and we were paying money to eat at what they consider to be a restaurant on site. So I offered to pay for parking to stay in the rv. They would not accept that. Since we wanted to stay on site with family from the area and family that drove up from Reno, my mother in law went ahead and paid for a room for us that we didn't want. Even after paying for the room we were told we couldn't stay in our rv. We liked the RV better. So that negates their second argument that by me staying in my rv it somehow interferes with them selling hotel rooms.

Things got more bizarre with the manager telling me what I thought was one thing and finding out she meant something else as far as room discounts.

I would understand their reasoning if they didn't give me any bologna answers and simply said 'hey, it's our property and we can do what we want." Maybe our family wouldn't have stayed at the hotel if they couldn't accommodate our rv in what would be considered a rather large parking lot. My rv was not in anybody's way.

Enough of the RV. Lets talk about the hotel. Like I said, there was plenty of parking. The central pool with shallow kiddy pool is a nice feature. They also have a hot tub. They have rooms that face out away from the property on two levels and they have rooms that face in towards the pool on both levels.

I am not sure about its location. I am not familiar with Richland WA but I think everything is small so it must be close to everything.

It is located next to the river and was quiet, except for the wedding party which the hotel allowed to stay up and party till 1:30 in the morning. I asked the front desk personally what time the wedding was over and this is what they told me.

There are plenty of stores nearby and there is some sort of running biking trail right next to the hotel and river.

Your room might include free breakfast. You might want to skip it. The buffet thing consisted of undercooked potates, some eggs, two types of dry cereal, maybe some juice, biscuits and muffins cut in half.

We ate their twice sort of. The first time I tipped on the amount the meals should have been even though we had free breakfast coupons. The second day they forgot to bring a menu to our table. The kids had the buffet thing and I attempted to order pancakes and french toast. We ended up leaving the restaurant before the food arrived. If this was a real restaurant they wouldn't be in business very long. The pancakes I had the day before were like out of the box mix with powder pancakes but worse. My three year old would hardly touch anything. No offer to refill my beverage. The juice glasses hold about 3-4 ounces I am guessing. Ridiculous. The tables were sticky and they put the coffee cups lipside down on the dirty, filthy, sticky table top.

One of the front desk girls with long red hair was nice enough to my wife and I. The others we talked to, not so much.

The hotel is in need of desperate updating. From the tube tvs in the room to the huge sections of peeled off paint around the entire property. In the back of the property there is a hole in the hotel where birds obviously got into the walls or attic area. There was bird poop that ran down the side of the walls and they just nailed a screen over the hole; didn't even think to wash the poop off the walls.

The bed we had was soft and hurt my back. The comforters obviously don't get washed which is nasty. The water pressure was good and there was a little substandard microwave and dorm fridge in the unit.

I didn't even want to take my shoes off and walk on the dirty carpet in the rooms.

The keys to the room have a huge head on them and of course they have been in use forever so they are bent and the door locks are worn out. Even though they are worn out, it was difficult to insert the key into the door lock. They should be using magnetic key cards.

As you can see, I mentioned several reasons why I might want to stay in my RV more than a hotel. Everybody acknowledges a miscommunication problem but the 'fix' for this problem was no fix at all. I had just driven over 200 miles with babies, to hang out with family. I didn't appreciate having to haul my luggage in the room when my rv was setup just how I liked it. When I pack my rv we pack in boxes that fit in certain areas of the rv. We don't pack in luggage that you can just wheel into the rooms. I didn't appreciate having to have my mother in law purchase a room for us just so I could park my rv on their property and hang out with family.

I learned my lesson and that is to make sure I call ahead and get names of people that tell me things so that I can plan for issues.

I would also like to thank my mother in law for setting everything up, getting food and paying for everything.

I also have a sarcastic thanks to the jerks that drove their rv to the hotel for the wedding and ended up leaving a bag of garbage in the parking lot and a step stool. What a bunch of a holes. I imagine they got upset when the hotel told them they had to leave and could not stay the night there even though there were multiple rooms being rented as well as a banquet type room by other members of the party.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank livingaboard
Reviewed 19 May 2013

Very nice older hotel. Well maintained for the most part. The mini-suite we stayed in needed to have the carpets cleaned.
We were there for an Optimist District Meeting over the weekend in the middle of May. The location is wonderful. It is right on the Columbia River and the Riverfront Trail. Quiet location for the most part. Our room was on the second floor overlooking the pool. Didn't use the pool as it was still a little chilly for my taste; however, several younger people and children seemed to be enjoying it and it did look very inviting. The indoor spa and sauna were great. Never did get the steam room to work, but can't have everything.
The exercise room has three pieces of equipment so don't expect a lot. There are no elevators in this hotel, so if you are on the second floor you can get plenty of exercise without an exercise room!
The front desk and the restaurant staff were very accommodating as was the bartender. The owner/manager was on site every day and was very involved in running the hotel and overseeing all the activities.
I would hope that this Shilo is chosen again for one of our Pacific Northwest Optimist activities. The breakfast buffet was great. You get a coupon for each morning you are there. Saturday lunch was very tasty and they were good about our gluten-free requirements.
Just two negatives one was the catered banquet on Saturday night left a lot to be desired, like another meal for instance. The second was there was a lot of noise from hotel staff (unintentional, I'm sure) in the hallway by the meeting room where we were holding the Oratorical Contests.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends