“Hotel de Haro” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel de Haro at Roche Harbor Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Roche Harbor
Hotel de Haro at Roche Harbor Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Roche Harbor
Bellevue, Washington, United States
“Hotel de Haro”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014

You definitely get what you pay for with this spot. We went for an overnight for a wedding so it was a short visit and we needed a hotel to spend the night only. The room only/shared bathroom is what was available. Why not? A very quaint hotel that has not been updated for a very long time. When there is an evening wedding with music, the single pane windows don't block out the sound. The bar next door with the live band added to the mix. Next time, the Quarryman Hotel next door would be a better option. Roche Harbor was a beautiful spot for a wedding.

Room Tip: If you do choose this hotel, choose a insuite room in the hotel
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Kim A

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
SF
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2014

I stumbled upon this place on my trip to the San Juan's recently. Was able to book a last minute room in the Hotel de Haro mid July. The rooms in this historic hotel are very reasonable at $150/ night (probably some of the most reasonable on the island). There are some things to consider before booking though. I was traveling alone so I did not mind the relatively smallish rooms. I am not squeamish about shared living space so I did not mind the shared bathroom down the hall (a few rooms do have on suit bathrooms). Its rustic charm was part of the draw of this place. If you are used to upscale accommodations don't book the De Haro. As part of Roche harbor there are plenty of alternatives to service the more demanding clientele. What I can say is that no mater what kind of room you book the staff is incredibly accommodating. The first night I was upgraded to a harbor room and on my return visit I was upgraded again (I liked it so much the first night I returned after my scheduled bike tour). Roche harbor is a wedding destination and they have a reception area near the De Haro. I was there for some rest and relaxation so I was worried it would get loud. There was a little noise from the venue but it was not too bad and it wound up by 12.

Pros
- caters to upscale yachting crowd so the food, service, amenities, pool, shopping boutiques and spa are first rate
- great dinning options with a variety of price points
- fantastic people watching
- very nice pool with an amazing view out to the harbor and surprisingly good food choices by the pool at lunch
- lots of fancy yachts in the harbor to ooogle at
- coffee, tea and water in the lobby for guests
- very comfortable beds
- absolutely beautiful natural setting: water, forest, pasture, It is just gorgeous!
- interesting local history
- local distillery near by
- has a sea plane terminal that Kenmore air flys into so it is an easy hop from SeaTac Airport

Cons
- There is an events area for receptions and such next to the hotel so in the high season it could get noisy, but things wind up around 12
- Some of the rooms are a tad small in the old hotel but not too bad, adds to the charm
- No aircon in the old hotel but there is a fan which worked fine for me in addition to the open window

I loved the time I spent here. I recommend it for low maintenance adventurers that still like to partake in the finer things in life who are interested in history and natural beauty.

Room Tip: When staying at the De Haro choose rooms facing the harbor, toward the lobby end. Ask if the room h...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank smeissne
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2013

We stayed at the newer Quarryman hotel. The room was beautiful, comfortable, spacious and had a wonderful view. The service was EXCELLENT
My (now) fiancé booked a weekend at Quarryman Hall for us and I decided to propose to her at dinner. I called the managers of the hotel and the adjacent McMillan's Dining room to help set up a surprise proposal.
Candace, Cindy, Brent, Mary-Ann, Jodi, and so many others there really went the extra mile to make this go better than I ever imagined. I felt that the entire island was working together to create a romantic surprise fit for a romance novel. The special details such as the rose petals in the shape of a heart and the swans on the bed took my “plan” to the next level. It was obvious that everyone there took this on as a special project, from the beautiful rose-filled “dessert” to the champagne arrangement in the room. Special thanks to those who went out and bought the champagne, wrapped it in gift wrap and a bow, and put it all together with chocolates and a card like a professional wedding planner might do; and to Candace, who flawlessly choreographed my proposal in the restaurant.
The special service and attention everyone there paid to us during our stay made this the most romantic time in our lives, and something we will never forget.
We will be returning to this special place in the future

Room Tip: If you want old-world charm, consider the original hotel. however, the newer Quarryman Hall was bett...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Dinnison
Fort Worth, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2013

We thoroughly enjoyed our two night stay in this very old and steeped-in-history hotel. The room was furnished with antiques and a comfortable bed, soft towels and toiletries, no t.v. which was fine by us since we were tired from exploring and having done a whale-watching tour. The front desk is friendly and helpful, and most importantly for me, kept the coffee fresh 24 hours. Lots of history in this place, which makes it so interesting. Be sure to look at all the photos and memorabilia in the lobby and hallways, do the walking tours of the map that is provided. My favorite find: The John S. McMillan Memorial Mausoleum; a truly delightful surprise (Knights Templar fans will love this!). Wildlife is abundant on the grounds of this resort with lots of deer and little black foxes. We also enjoyed walking the piers and looking at the beautiful yachts that are moored here. Definitely will make a return trip here.

Room Tip: Remember: this is a very old and historic building
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jennyt01
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2013

Attended a family wedding in September and already knew the venue has a phenomenal view, but was so impressed with everything from soup to nuts. Staff was attentive and the food was terrific. We rented one of the homes and the accommodations were perfect - each bedroom had their own bath and the common areas - kitchen and living area were perfect for relaxing and having snacks.

Room Tip: Quarryman Hall has luxurious modern suites, McMillan Suites are more historic, but best harbor views...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Tamara A
Port Townsend, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2013

Fabulous view. Very nice room. Robes. Frig. Comfy bed. Balcony. We felt very pampered and loved the place. The town is a bit uppity. But this hotel was a real treat. The weather was horrible and bocce court flooded but who cares?

Room Tip: Quarryman building nice.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Helen R
Oakland, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2013

Not only is this elegant hotel presiding over one of the most beautiful harbors in the San Juan Islands, but their attention to tourist needs is far and away the most prompt, courteous, and downright saintly I've ever encountered. When I left my Canon camera somewhere on the island, I thought that was the end of it. Several calls failed to find it. One call to the hotel and immediate satisfaction! not only was it in the safe--completely safe--but they ignored my offer to send a prepaid fedex for it. Instead, they packaged it up, mailed it out, and it returned home before I did! Amazing courtesy!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
#9 of 10 in Friday Harbor
Deer Harbor Inn
Deer Harbor Inn
#1 of 2 in Deer Harbor

Been to Hotel de Haro at Roche Harbor Resort? Share your experiences!