“Best of a bad situation”

Econo Lodge SeaTac Airport
Ranked #32 of 34 Hotels in SeaTac
“Best of a bad situation”
Reviewed 17 June 2013 via mobile

I have stayed at Econo Lodges in the past, and know what to expect...
A friend and I decided to stay in Seattle on a completely unplanned trip. We didn't realize that it was grad weekend, and all the places we would normally stay we're completely booked. This place was not our first choice or our last choice - it was out only choice.

That said, I found it typical in most respects of an EconoLodge. Dated decor, worn carpet, bad location. I did find it clean, and it had a fridge, microwave, TV, alarm clock, and hair dryer. The view out of our second floor room was a razor-wire topped fence overlooking a dumpy backyard next door. I did find the staff to be friendly, but had little interaction with them overall. The continental breakfast was very minimal and this is what usually redeems EconoLodge for me - breakfast was starch, starch and more starch with a hardboiled egg for variety. No fruit, yogurt, or pastries that I have found in every other EconoLodge i'vestayed at.

To sum up - as an EconoLodge in a bad neighbourhood, in most respects it was tolerable, but I was very unhappy with the breakfast, and at $90 for the 2 queen room, it was not worth the money.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Clarinetqueen

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 24 April 2013

I booked this hotel with their stay, park and fly program. When I arrived at the hotel I saw two men inching cars in and out of their parking lot with great difficulty. I went in to inquire whether it was mandatory for the vallet. The clerk said it was and I could not park my vehicle myself. Before checking in I went for a walk through the parking lot. I saw a white pail full of keys and about 6 sets of keys lying on the ground beside it. That was the deal breaker, I am paticular about the things I own and how they are taken care of. I went back in and told the clerk we would not be staying here unless I could park my own vehicle and take the keys with me. She said that I could not do that so I left.

Now I received my MC bill and found out they still charged me. I tried contacting the hotel and was not even allowed to speak to a manager. The clerk simply told me there is no cancelation allowed within 24 hours. I asked the clerk that if a person shows up and is unhappy for any reason will you still charge them. She said yes, its a 24 hour cancelation rule.

My advise to anyone is just stay away. It may be okay for you but it might not be. If its not you will still be charged for the full value of you park and room. Its a total rip off.

I have an email in to their head office. I will update if anything happens.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Shawn H
Stanwood, Washington
Reviewed 27 February 2013

We have stayed at the Econo Lodge SeaTac Airport twice as part of the stay and park package. We found the staff friendly and helpful. For us it was a stop for a few hours of sleep before catching an early morning flight. We were dropped off at the airport with time to spare and were promptly picked up. This is not the top of the line establishment and is in need of some renovations and we are used to staying in 4-5 star rated places. For our need the Econo Lodge SeaTac Airport provided us our basic requirements. Added to this that my wife has diabetes and her ankles were in terrible condition on our arrive in Seattle. The staff at the Econo Lodge had a room for us to rest, and provided ice to bring the swelling down. Working international, I have stayed in places that are terrible in war zones. The staff at the Econo Lodge SeaTac are an asset to the establishment and proved their professionalism.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
Hermiston, Oregon
Reviewed 3 November 2012

The listing for this Motel is misleading. The Motel is located in a "Drug Trafficking and Prostitution Watch" area. We found the mattress to be lumpy, the motel staff barely spoke English, the motel was in disrepair. A local bus driver warned us not to stay in this area again because it is dangerous. The linen had fecal matter or blood stains. The bathroom fixtures had cigarette burn stains and the tile was breaking off or missing. The bathroom sink burped up some sort of sewer water and the "continental breakfast" consisted of toast and dry cereal. Do not waste your money or endanger your wellbeing for this motel.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
new mexico
Reviewed 31 October 2012

I was told by hotel personnel BEFORE rez. was made this motel is in walking distance to airport. IT IS NOT. 4 MILES AWAY. I was told it had 2 restaurants across the street where we could eat and have a cocktail. IT HAS ONE....NO LOUNGE.
ATTN: VERY BAD AREA....OLD....DIRTY....NOT SAFE TO WALK AROUND.

Tried to get my card credited, the middle eastern manager yelled, and called me a liar. Would not credit my card, even though we did not stay after seeing the motel and the area. I filed a complaint with choice hotels also, but they say they do not have override power over the manager at this econo lodge. PLEASE STAY AWAY. THE PERSONNEL THERE ARE AWFUL !!!

Room Tip: have had good luck overall with choice hotels, but this one is a big huge DUD
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank challenger1
Wisbech, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 August 2012

I was really pleased with this hotel. Very close to teh airport and the free shuttle bus arrived very promptly after my phone call from the arrivals hall. The hotel was clean and tidy. My room was perfectly adequate for an airport-style hotel. The hotel was on a direct bus route into the city centre, it took about 40 minutes but a nice ride in. Alternatively, there was a bus to the nearby light-rail station with super efficient trains into the city. Both options were really cheap, only a couple of quid for each so well worth it. Taxis would have been so much more expensive. The inclusive continental breakfast was very welcoming and much appreciated. A good variety of toasts, cereals and pastries with unlimited piping hot coffee. Overall I was really impressed with this hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
Oregon
Reviewed 7 August 2012

I booked the "Park and Fly" option with my husband and I staying the night before our trip and then returning back for another night at this hotel. We stayed the first night. We did NOT stay the other night.

Although the hotel is located 2.5 miles from Sea-Tac Airport, the area it is located in felt very unsafe to us. Driving from the freeway off ramp for two miles to the hotel, (at about 5 PM) we saw many prostitutes hanging out at the various convenience stores and on the street corners, many gang looking types hanging out at the convenience stores, fast food joints, and bus stops, and also driving their cars up and down the street, pulling up next to you or behind you and beeping their horn at you and "flashing" gang signs and dirty looks at you.

Right before the hotel there is a huge Islamic Center. For some reason the patrons walking to this center do not use the cross walks a few blocks up to get here and instead walk right out into the middle of the street and expect YOU to stop for them. During the day, we could see them and happily stopped for them, for which they waved at us and were very polite. At 11:00 at night coming back to the hotel, it was very hard to see them and we almost hit them. The same happened with our shuttle driver on our return trip to pick up our car. Apparently this is an ongoing problem and they are "use to it".

Checking in was a bit of a hassle. The phone was ringing off the hook. The lobby was busy with angry people with overcharged room bookings. The front desk clerk had to check us in AND manage all of these people AND all of the phone calls. They had overcharged me for my room. It was suppose to be $65 + Park & Fly and I was charged $95.00 because "the Yankees baseball team were in town and rooms were hard to get." They also forgot to add the "Park & Fly" option. They re-ran my charge card and added more miscellaneous charges. Fortunately I had saved my receipts and got some of the charges dropped. We did not want to go through this again nor stay in the area so we called and cancelled the return nights stay while on our vacation. The gentleman we talked to was LIVID that we we're cancelling, but he did give us a cancellation confirmation #. When we returned from our flight, we were almost charged for this room regardless, because of their confusion. Fortunately I had the cancellation confirmation # and so the night manager removed the charges.

Back to check-in. When you pull up, you can see through the front hotel window that the spa is empty and blocked off. So no spa usage. The lobby was small but fairly clean. The tables were not. The hallway walking to our room was clean, but had a strange musty smell. Our room was a tiny crackerjack box on the 2nd floor that faced the street, hence lots of road noise. The room itself was very clean and tidy, but it also had that faint musty smell. It had a small microwave. There was no kleenex and definitely not enough towels. (They did give us extras, though.) We had a dusty fake flower arrangement as our room table decor.

The bathroom sink, tub and toilet were clean. Showerhead had nice pressure. The coffeepot is on the sink counter. The fridge is located under the bathroom counter, very close to the toilet. This area was not as clean and there were some dents and dings in the door and walls. Linens were all crisp and clean. The bed was awful; old and outdated and sank in the middle. My husband and I did not sleep well and both woke up with backaches. I did not notice any bedbugs.

The outside looks good from driving by, but on the far side of the building facing the park and fly lot, the awning had some rips and tears and was a little bit to be had for. Lots of weeds and trash around this area too. The trash dumpster is also here and was full and stinky. Behind the hotels park and fly lot there are some very seedy run down apartments. There was a very skinny guy hanging around the back awning entrance, twitching & jerking with spasms. I could see drops of blood coming out of his neck, so I went over to check on him to be sure he was OK. I noticed he had intravenous track marks in his neck and arms. I talked with him a bit and got him calmed down and offered him some chips & water but he declined and said he would be OK.

After all of this, my husband and I were very leery about even attempting to go out again into the area and on the road but we were starving and tired of chips and water and needed some supper, so we braved it and went. We took a side street that bypassed most of the problems we ran into on the way here and wound up at a nice SAFE huge mall about 7 minutes away. On our way back we got lucky and stayed next to a cop car all the way back to the hotel. This is where we encountered the people crossing the street at 11:00PM to get to the Islamic Center. Most of them were dressed in black hooded clothing and we could not see them and almost hit them. The cop almost hit them too!! They really need a lit up crosswalk here so these people can go to their center safely and no one gets seriously injured.

I did get to have a nice chat with the manager. He gave me extra towels. I voiced my fears and concerns about the hoodlums & prostitutes around the area and me having to leave my car keys with him for a week and he reassured me that everything, including my car, would be safe. He said that they constantly patrol the grounds and make sure there is no non-hotel guests loitering around. Right before we return he told me they make sure the car has no flat tires or other problems, and they pull the car up front for you. At this point I had no choice but to trust him, and handed them over. We did return to his promises. Our car was very safe and spotless, nothing was touched, and it was right in front! ☺

We checked out early in the morning but did not stay for the breakfast. I did a quick inspection to see what they had. They had a few things out like coffee, muffins, and some cereal bins. Everything looked clean and tidy. Our shuttle van driver was very polite, but very quiet. He played some sort of Indian music along the drive to the airport that actually woke us up swiftly and got us going. He loaded and unloaded our luggage for us. We made sure to give him a nice tip. Along the way, even in the morning hours, we still noticed the prostitutes hanging around at the corners and convenience stores.

Upon our return from our vacation a week later, their shuttle picked us up at the airport. Even though it was 11:45 PM at night, it arrived within 20 minutes. Another quiet but friendly guy who loaded and unloaded our luggage for us. We made sure he got a good tip. On the ride back to the hotel from the airport, again we noticed the gangs, prostitutes, and the people walking right in the middle of the street to the Islamic Center. Our shuttle van driver just drove around them like it was no big deal.

The internet...sucked. It was VERY slow, slower than dial up. It's like this throughout the entire hotel. If you need to do some computer work I suggest you bring some sort of gadget so you can connect to your own internet.

I would use their park and fly option again because of how they took care of my car, but I would NOT stay here again due to all of the reasons mentioned above. I would pay the extra $20-$30 and stay up the road on the other side of the freeway, across from the airport at one of the other hotels in the safer part of town.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the back of the hotel on the 3rd floor to avoid the road noise facing the fron...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Noodles913
Also consider these accommodations in or near SeaTac
Ramada SeaTac Airport North
Quality Inn Sea-Tac Airport
Clarion Hotel Seattle Airport
Sleep Inn SeaTac Airport
Hampton Inn Seattle/Southcenter
Comfort Inn & Suites Sea-Tac Airport

Been to Econo Lodge SeaTac Airport? Share your experiences!