“Definitely an acquired taste...”
Review of Sou'wester Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Seaview
Sou'wester Lodge
Reviewed 1 August 2010

Although we generally like and appreciate interesting, quirky places, the Sou'wester takes funkiness to the max. We stayed there after reading the positive reviews on this site. We found it dingy, faded, and tired. For the price I expected more comfortable and updated accommodations and more attractive grounds. I think the owners could do that without foregoing the charm and character it sounds like this place once had.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
3  Thank kinwa

Reviewed 14 February 2010

In August '07 my family and I decided to visit Astoria, OR. We initially were to stay at a KOA, but the rain was quite heavy at the time and we are tenters. After finding all places booked from Astoria to Longbeach, we decided to see the ocean. We just happened upon the Sou'wester. My wife entered the premise and was inside for a good 45 minutes. She came back to the car with good news of availability and price and the place would accept our 2 Corgis as guests. Close to the beach, dog acceptors and my wife met a new friend in the owner. For folks who like cozy and different, who prefer real food to the microwave, this is a fantastic place. The huge Northwest rain drops on the trailer top are free and better and healthier than a sleeping pill. Jon C., Denver CO

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled with family
5  Thank indie266071
Reviewed 20 December 2009

The Sou'wester is little slice of the farmhouses I haunted in college, complete with art, characters, and a fair amount of time devoted to reflecting on the state of this crazy world. It is where I go when I need to recharge, and I am always made to feel welcomed. Len and Miriam are gracious hosts who have carved out a life to be admired, a ife spent indulging their own inclinations, at times against all odds. The Lodge hosts funcky talks, local theater and the odd gathering of similarly inclined area folks. One may have as much or as little society as one chooses - it is understood that the solitude on offer is second to none. The furnishings are early junk shop, but there's always something in the stack of books worth, at least, a laugh over breakfast. And the beach is one of the most beautiful places on earth, especially in the winter.

Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank RSMI
Reviewed 8 May 2008

The owners have never pretended the Sou'Wester is for all or even most travellers. We were deflected a couple of times on the phone and finally persisted to find it exactly our sort of place. We've returned many times over the years and staying at the Sou'Wester is a cherished tradition.
Reviewers who found it too funky, too Bohemian or otherwise not to their liking should definitely go elsewhere; if you're hesitant after reading all this, you too may be happier at a more conventional place.
We, the faithful will continue to keep this wonderful, unique lodge alive and well...

Stayed: June 2007
4  Thank desmodromica
A TripAdvisor Member
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 2 February 2006

I take strong exception to the unkind and hurtful review above. I have been going to the Sou'Wester for years, at all time of the year, with friends and family. The Sou'Wester is definitely not the Hilton. Some people think that is A PLUS. Nor is it cloyingly cutesy, like a doll house. If someone wants luxury this obviously is not the place.
But the Sou'Wester is definitely Clean and not smelly and not pestridden. From our many trips, my friends and I can attest to that.
I think that beds are extremely comfortable. Len and Miriam Atkins, the proprietors, candidly steer many prospective lodgers away if they want Pottery Barn Curtains. Let's face it, some people at times enter situations with a chip on their shoulder and the criticism multiplies.
The Sou'Wester is a priceless getaway. Why do people travel there from across the country and Canada? Because it is autentico! It has SOUL. Aren't we tired by now of the sterile sameness that's the norm?
It offers charming, cozy trailers that I love staying in, cabins decorated with fine art prints, and spacious apartments in the lodge. They all have good things to read- good books, magazines,etc.
I wonder how many other inns in the country make it possible for guests, if they have a mind to, take advantage of the main room of the lodge as a gathering place to meet other interesting guests and share common experiences, as well as utilize the room for watching movies and videos on the opera, philosophy, art history, etc. It's a fantastic educational resource!
Len and Miriam Atkins have impressed countless newcomeers with their humor and warm hsopitality. The better one gets to know them, the luckier that person is. They are people you'll never forget. They feel strongly that they never want to oversell the Sou'Wester but they have for the last 20 years scrupulously labored to make the Sou'Wester a vacation you'll want to return to again.

Stayed: November 2005
10  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 28 April 2005

The previous reviews pretty much "hit the nail on the head". If you're in the mood for bohemian funk this is the place for you! You WON'T find resort-syle ammenities or accomodations. You WON'T find beautifully manicured grounds or stunning architecture. You WILL find a great location and very nice people. My wife and I stayed in one of the cabins. It was fuctional and decorated in an artsy Salvation Army style. The shower is tiny(I am big and tall). The kitchen has most of the necesseties. The main room in the lodge is ecclectic. The Sou'wester exudes an eccentric whimsy that some might find self-important and unearned. I'd say if your up for something out of the ordinary,give it a whirl.

• Stayed: April 2005
1  Thank verybigv
A TripAdvisor Member
Seattle
Reviewed 23 February 2005

A friend of mine in Seattle recommended the Sou'wester as a "best kept secret" get-away destination 4 years ago and I've been hooked ever since.
My two dogs and myself have stayed in 3 different trailer cabins and enjoyed them all.
It's a unique experience and probably not for everyone, but the
Sou'wester is not a luxury resort and doesn't pretend to be one.
What you get here is friendly inn-keepers and cozy surroundings for a reasonable price within walking distance to beautiful Long Beach.
I have never experienced any upkeep or cleanliness problems.

9  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Been to Sou'wester Lodge? Share your experiences!