“Quaint sea atmosphere”

Ranked #1 of 1 Seaview B&B and Inns
Albuquerque, New Mexico
“Quaint sea atmosphere”
Reviewed 30 July 2014

This B&B is not your typical B&B experience. It is the longest continually operating hotel in the area. We stayed in Suite 4, which has a ship captain's cabin feel along with a claw foot tub. The smell of the place reminded me of my Grandma's house (in a good way) as did the creak of the stairway and the slanting floors. If you love history, this is the place for you. There is also a restaurant in the place, so lunch and dinner are available on the premise and you don't have to converse with strangers at breakfast.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Bellevue, Washington
Reviewed 21 July 2014

My wife and I celebrated my birthday at the Shelburne Inn. It is a unique old Inn that takes you back in time. It is a charming place that has been well maintained. The owners and staff are great. We look forward to our next visit. The Inn exceeded expectations!

Sherman Oaks
Reviewed 15 July 2014 via mobile

I love the Seaview/Long Beach WA area. I normally visit once a year and stay in a friend's beach home there. On this occasion I was visiting for a memorial service for my friend's father and with all the family staying at the house I looked for a place nearby. The Shelburne fit the bill as it was 3 blocks away. And I've been enjoying staying in BnBs the last few years.

Most homes in the area are sea captains homes and date back to the turn of the 20th century. I would guess this property originally dates back that far although obviously remodeled and modified. The style incorporate into the decor is very 1890s The current owners have owned the property since I believe he said the 1970s. They are very nice as is their staff. Breakfast is included and you have quite a few selections off of a menu. The restaurant is also open for dinner and although I didn't eat dinner my friends have and rave about the food. Tea and coffee are available throughout the day. When you check in you are greeted with fresh baked cookies in your room.

The bulk, if not all of the rooms are upstairs. I didn't see any on the main level but I only looked quickly. The restaurant, pub, lobby are on the main level. So if stairs are a problem for you keep in mind there is no elevator. I booked the least expensive room #11 knowing I wouldn't be spending much time there. The description suggests this is an ideal room for extra members of a party staying in an adjacent room. This is a great idea as there is no real storage for clothes or toiletries except for two hangers on the back of the door (I'm sure I could have asked for more) and one small table/cabinet. I peeked in to two of the larger rooms and they had nice sized armoires in them. The room did have a very nice balcony with table & chairs. One of the great things about this property is all the outdoor areas to sit in and most rooms have a balcony. My bathroom was a shower & toilet in one room with the sink in the main room but it was a private bath. The larger rooms had claw tubs as well as showers and all of the bath was self contained.

Far better than the other properties in the immediate area. I would recommend but also suggest you contact them with any questions relating to your specific needs to be sure you select the right room.

Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Dianeinla
Milwaukie, Oregon
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Used to come here with the Historical Auto Club my dad belonged to when I was 8, 9,10 years old.....I'm 57 now.... they served country fried chicken and mashed potatoes with greasy gravy and green beans Roast and Pork chops and awesome country fixings. Pie and huge glasses of Milk. It looks like the same place.... :)

Room Tip: Get the biggest room you can afford.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Dan D
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 14 July 2014

My wife and I spent our wedding anniversary here and are glad that we did. When we first walked into this charming historic inn with beautiful landscaping outside and artwork inside, a marvelous pianist was playing. We then checked in and enjoyed a meal at the pub, including the best pan fried oysters we had ever tasted. Our lodging was in the "Audubon Cabin" at nearby China Beach, a very comfortable and beautifully appointed small house in a beautiful setting. Birds and nature abound here, along with boats passing by from Ilwaco Harbor. We enjoyed several sumptuous breakfasts at the Inn, often with egg and fresh wild mushroom combinations, and a delicious seafood dinner, this time accompanied by a talented acoustic guitar player. The hospitality by each and every staff person was first rate, with David Campiche the innkeeper setting the tone personally.

Room Tip: We liked the spaciousness, privacy and access to nature that the Audubon Cabin provided. There are...
San Francisco
Reviewed 10 July 2014

We stayed at the Shelburne Country Inn over 4th of July. Usually, I book online but this time I called and talked to the front desk. The lady was very friendly. I told the lady were with infant and that we needed to know how far the walk was to the beach. We were told about 6 blocks or 0.6 miles to the quiet part of the beach. Perhaps the front desk person has never been outside Seaview and is too familiar with her surroundings to be accurate. Beach access is at least a mile from the hotel; it took us about 20 minutes at a fast pace to reach the beach by foot. We arrived on Friday evening and were pleasantly surprised by the beautiful garden, not so pleasantly surprised by the dumpy street and grocery store across the way. The hotel is located not in the heart of things. The lady on the phone made it sound like every town spilled into another and I imagined a cute street spanning several towns. This was not the case. Then we were shown our room:
Pros
If you like antique furniture, there's loads of it
Separate sitting area
Patio (we never used it)
Comfortable mattress, see cons for more
Restaurant in hotel and they allowed food in the room (pseudo room service)
Delicious food from the restaurant

Cons of room 17
Wall outlets do not grip any sockets. I use a breast pump and had to bend the sprockets to get my pump to work.
Open electrical boxes (really, if you don't supply a TV or ethernet port, at least put a cover over the box)
Wi-fi is a joke...we were ok with the no TV policy because we have tablets/laptops and thought we could stream media while baby napped/i pumped...not the case. The connection was so slow, it would have better if there was no Wi-Fi. The front lady was adamant theirs was "hi speed" and that it must be the provider. Well if the room had an ethernet connection we would have been super happy, instead there was an empty box with unfinished wiring.
Stained sheets. Sheets smelled clean so I didn't fret but really? We are paying too much per night for this oversight
Idiotic bed frame that sticks at least 3 inches past the mattress so its almost inevitable that a toe is stubbed every time one desires to climb into the tall bed. Really annoying when trying to dress or change the infant.
MOSQUITOES in the room. I was bit within 30 seconds of entering the room
NOISE...we heard toilets flushing, kitchen pots banging
SMELL...we first thought the food smell was from our dinner dishes until we realized we had returned the dishes the night before and the odors would reflect whatever was cooking in the kitchen

The hotel had general inconsistencies. Nice fixtures in the bathroom, complemented with a cheap, standing toilet paper dispenser, all banged up and not stable. These little details are annoying at 3AM. The front of the hotel was very pretty but inside the room the atmosphere was dark, dank and only cozy if you unleashed a couple bottles of freeze on the place and shampooed the furniture.

I understand its a 1896 construction. Our house is 1908 but we ripped out the ugly and restored "the fresh feeling". This hotel needs to do the same to its hallways and rooms (well, at least room 17).

We were so uncomfortable in the room and the long walk to anything interesting we cut our stay by half. After spending one night I was at the front desk at 11AM notifying the help we were checking out. I begged for them to consider a refund. After all, we left the room before 1PM. We were told we would get a full refund for the second night IF they could sell the room. If not, front desk would contact the owner with a partial refund request. We left and received to response to our request. The following Tuesday I sent an email, upset about not hearing anything and with the message that if my request was not addressed, I would make it public that Shelburne Inn misleads its customers. I found the owner's response so unusual, I have copied it below. I never gave the ultimatum partial refund or bad review. I made it known I would add to my review that the hotel promised to help me and then did nothing (my initial email is copied below owner's response).
Apparently, the owner works for Trip Adviser because she feels it is appropriate to speak (or threaten) on the company's behalf. And review sites like Yelp and Trip Adviser serve the express purpose of helping customers who have already parted with their money, voice their dissatisfaction.
Apparently, my infant is the only infant in the world who is very loud. Yes, everyone could hear us and we could hear everyone. Both truths made us even more uncomfortable and thus, we did the hotel a favor by leaving as fast as we could. The hotel owner could return the favor by at least acknowledging that we did the responsible thing, respond to my request, and perhaps offer to lessen our loss. After all, it is the owner's responsibility to insulate the walls of the rooms or refuse to accept infants.

No thanks to the free night. We have never cut a vacation short and walked away from a room reservation. Just last week all three of us were in Vancouver. The room was too small for three people but infinitely more comfortable and the experience, monumentally more pleasant.

Hotel Response
"I just received a copy of your email from our front desk staff. Thank you for contacting us. I would call you, except that it is after 9 pm and I think that is too late to be calling. I would like to talk with you.
I find it unfortunate that you would resort to a veiled threat in order to get a partial refund. Be advised, Trip Advisor really frowns on that and you could be prevented from posting any reviews in the future if they were to find out that you did that. We are reasonable people. I really want to know what it was that made you so uncomfortable. Suite #17 is one of our most oft requested rooms and many of our repeat guests ask for it when they revisit us. I’m aware that your infant was doing a lot of crying while you were here, and the crying was very loud. I know this because my office abuts your room.
In answer to your question, we were not able to re-rent Suite 17 after your departure. If it was the weather that made you uncomfortable, perhaps you would like to return this fall when things cool down. If that is the case, we could provide you with a gift certificate for a one-night stay in the same value as what you were charged for the early departure.
When would be a good time to call you and what number should I use? Or, if you’d prefer to communicate via email, please answer this message and I will respond. I look forward to hearing from you.

My email
I am inquiring as to whether it was possible to sell room 17 last Saturday and if not, was it possible to process a partial refund? We have never had to leave a vacation early due to discomfort and I am prepared to make public (via Trip Adviser) the reasons for the abbreviation of our vacation.

Thank you for your attention and consideration.

Room Tip: The owner and front desk consider room 17 their best, so you be the judge
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank mashinca
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 8 July 2014

The room was a bit small, but somewhat surprisingly for such and old Inn, it had it's own bath. There are bigger rooms, but I'm cheap. I was not disappointed in any way. The staff was charming, the room was charming and comfortable, and the breakfast was splendid.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Seaview
Lighthouse Oceanfront Resort
The Anchorage Cottages
The Anchorage Cottages
#4 of 8 in Long Beach
The #1 Coastal Inn and Suites

Been to Shelburne Inn? Share your experiences!